Author Topic: Vantage Connect Product #6622US in EU  (Read 270 times)

Offline Ivan13

• Contributor
Vantage Connect Product #6622US in EU
« on: May 08, 2024, 04:27:50 AM »
Hi, I recently bought a Vantage Connect #6622 from America (US frequency) because I thought it could be used in EUROPE. I tried adding it on WeatherLink.com but it gives me this screen: “Location not supported. Your SIM is not supported in this location. If you continue, the price of your service plan may increase if your location is in a roaming zone.” but it doesn't allow you to proceed with the configuration. to make it work I used the card supplied by Davis itself with an active data plan. What I ask you is: is there any way to make it work in Europe? Is it necessary to have a card that works in the USA? Have you ever tried to make it work in Europe with modifications? Thank you
1. Froggit HP1000SE PRO;
2. GATEWAY GW1003 (ws80/wh40/wh32-ep in barani standard)
3. GATEWAY WH2650 (3rd station)(1 WH32-EP METAL, 1 WH40)
6. LIGHTING SENSOR;
7. OTHERS WH31 NORMAL and 1 WH31-EP
8. RAIN SENSOR;
9. WEBCAM HP10 (beta test)
10. LOW COST STATION (WN1900).

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Vantage Connect Product #6622US in EU
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 05:05:57 AM »
US frequencies are not legal in Europe hence the reason a specific EU version with Eu frequencies is made/sold for the European market. Would follow that you should have brought a EU version with EU frequencies and EU plan etc?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 05:29:23 AM »
Several issues here:

1. As Mattk correctly says, US specification wireless parts are technically illegal to use in most other countries.

2. What sort of ISS are you attempting to use it with? If it is an OV spec ISS (or EU spec complete station) then it will never work because of a frequency mismatch. A US spec wireless Connect needs a US spec ISS in order to receive data from the ISS.

3. You purchased 6622 whereas you should have purchased 6622SOV for use in Europe. Weatherlink.com presumably knows the difference between these 2 parts (maybe from the MAC address, but not sure on this) and knows that 6622 should not be used in an EU location.

Bottom line is no, I can't think of any way to make it work.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2024, 05:32:07 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Ivan13

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 07:26:56 AM »
Yes, I know that the frequencies in Italy cannot be used, but many people do it and generally there are no problems. I am mainly talking about the transmission frequency between the external group and the receiver. Yes I'm trying using an external group with US frequency. I didn't buy it new but used, which is why I bought that one. What I was thinking is if perhaps someone had already made some changes, perhaps replacing the internal modem with a European one, or another alternative that I thought was to use a US card in Italy
1. Froggit HP1000SE PRO;
2. GATEWAY GW1003 (ws80/wh40/wh32-ep in barani standard)
3. GATEWAY WH2650 (3rd station)(1 WH32-EP METAL, 1 WH40)
6. LIGHTING SENSOR;
7. OTHERS WH31 NORMAL and 1 WH31-EP
8. RAIN SENSOR;
9. WEBCAM HP10 (beta test)
10. LOW COST STATION (WN1900).

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 08:19:52 AM »
Technically, it is possible to replace the modem circuit board with an EU spec one I think. But it would presumably need to be an official Davis board to be recognised by weatherlink.com. These are potentially available from Davis, but are not listed on the replacement parts price list, so you would need to ask Davis support. The price might be high.

Given all the uncertainties (eg how long will 3G be supported in your locality?) and costs, I'd suggest that this project is best forgotten about.

Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.