Author Topic: Understanding WU PWS data  (Read 905 times)

Offline RCG.CHI.165

Understanding WU PWS data
« on: April 04, 2019, 04:31:41 PM »
I am trying to understand data on a WU PWS looking at data for a historic date in Indiana. There is a daily summary that lists precipitation and it says 2.45 in. Then when I go to the graph below there is a precipitation accumulation graph. What I don't understand is why the accumulation total only goes up to 0.22. Did they get 2.45 inches of precipitation or only 0.22 in of precipitation that day?  Are the 2.45 in and 0.22 somehow related? I have attached two files which shows this information. Thank you for any assistance in understanding this data.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Re: Understanding WU PWS data
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 11:15:32 PM »
The WU website is hopelessly broken.  Either wait for them to fix it (if they ever do) or look elsewhere for data.  Those of us who have been putting up with this nonsense for over 18 months aren't holding out much hope of them ever getting it right, though.

Offline RCG.CHI.165

Fixed!!: Understanding WU PWS data
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 03:59:32 PM »
So I went back to that weather station to manually calculate the precipitation and this is what I found.  The data now matches.  Not sure what happened but now I know to check myself when looking at the data.  Thanks all!

Offline Carbon

• Weather-Watcher
    • Gill MetPak Base Station PWS @ Myers Park
Re: Understanding WU PWS data
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 06:08:22 PM »
Some statistics after the redesign, including temperature, were not displaying max/min in the tables correctly. A couple days after noticing that, it seems to have been resolved, both for past and currently recording data. I actually can't believe they're slowly killing rapidfire, which was the best part of the platform... so frustrating.

EDIT: I think one of the few things they got right with this new redesign is the fact that navigating through graphs is snappy now, and doesn't freeze my browser and have poor performance anymore. Also, previously with my station, the table would show the correct maximum gust, yet that would not be plotted on the graph, probably because the graph didn't plot every sample. Yet they took away all decimal values and just rounded them (why) which hurts me as a data/stats person.