Author Topic: Davis Pro2 data reporting question  (Read 35589 times)

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
Re: Davis Pro2 data reporting question
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2011, 08:15:26 PM »
In the CC to the Davis sales dept., I forwarded the email in the post above and added:

The following was sent to your Tech. Support division this evening.  I am forwarding it to your attention  while I try to ascertain the email address's of your board of directors.  I think they would appreciate knowing what is going on (or obviously not going on) in tech support. What a great way to treat a new customer!
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2011, 09:23:10 PM »
a) NEVER post your phone number on the web
b)  Daivs is a private company and therefore there is no BOD
c) Thousands of Davis customers do what you are trying to do, so I say PICNIC problem
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2011, 09:29:21 PM »
After alot of research, it appears that Davis is a privately held corp. in California and does not publish it's corporate minutes. I have requested the Sec. of State's information as to Davis Industries and will publish the names/address's of its board upon receipt.  Hopefully, I can contact one of these folks that will put some initiative behind their tech. support dept.
Davis Wireless Pro2 with Solar Sensor; Weatherlink 5.9.3; VWS; WLIP; CWOP DW8373; Wunderground KTXGATES4; CoCoRaHS=TX-CRL-4

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »
Thanks for the advise Bushman, but as an attorney, I have found that most privately held corporations (other than an LLC) do have a Board of Directors.  When an entity files its corporate papers with the Sec. of State, they list the board members as well as the incorporators.   I  will continue to research this matter and will let you know the results of my research on this site. As far as the telephone number, it was just one of those "copy and paste" moments...I know better, but would still invite one of the Davis tech support folks to call me.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2011, 09:42:52 PM »
Be sure to keep the two Davis Instruments companies separate.  There's a Davis Instruments in Illinois and the Davis Instruments in California.
I had several breaks in my data but it was always on my end.  My DSL modem was dropping out.  Sometimes it dropped out a hundred times a day and reset itself or I was able to reset it.  Then only the phone company could reset it.  They sent me a new free modem.  I installed it and I've had no more drop outs.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2011, 09:48:03 PM »
Thanks for the advise Bushman, but as an attorney, I have found that most privately held corporations (other than an LLC) do have a Board of Directors.  When an entity files its corporate papers with the Sec. of State, they list the board members as well as the incorporators.   I  will continue to research this matter and will let you know the results of my research on this site. As far as the telephone number, it was just one of those "copy and paste" moments...I know better, but would still invite one of the Davis tech support folks to call me.

Well pretty much every telemarketer on earth has your number now.   :twisted:

As for the BOD, good luck with that!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 09:50:07 PM »
I just checked your Wunderground site - it is two hrs.  behind.  And you complaint is???

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 09:52:31 PM »
Thanks Al.  If Davis ever responds to my emails/complaints, I will know if it is on my end.  Before I call my tele. company and request a new router, I would like to hear from Davis.  I am also aware of that their corp. offices are located in Calif., as I had to check numerous sites to verify Davis Instruments was in fact the maker of the weather instruments. Again, thanks to you and Bushman for the responses.  

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2011, 09:57:50 PM »
Bushman, my complaint is that every day I encounter 10-12 hours of "No data being reported" or "this site is not reporting" on WU and CWOP.  I have called Davis and emailed them for the past 4 days, without any response.  As far as telemarketers go, I am a long standing member of the "Do not call" registry.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2011, 10:03:44 PM »
DNC?  LMAO!  That registry ios one of the more useless things in existence.

Look - lots of folks do what you are doing so you must be the problem.  Frankly the whole WLIP  seems to be problematic for far too many folks.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2011, 10:18:54 PM »
Did I write something to piss you off?  My telephone number is a PUBLIC published telephone number and I do not get soliciatation calls on it. Even if I did, why would you be offended and "LMAO"?  And how am I the problem?  I registered with this forum to get answers to questions, not berated by neophypes like you that want to castigate others that do not know answers to legitimate questions.  And as far as your comment that "the whole WLIP seems to be problematic for far too may folks," maybe you could give a lesson or two with your vast knowledge and experience and solve the problems those of us with WLIP seem to have.  If you were as helpful as that, we would not need WXforum or tech. support at Davis.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:24:04 PM by wmcatty »

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2011, 10:35:05 PM »
Sorry about the "neophyte" tag...my temper was flaring when I wrote the above response.  No derogatory labeling intended.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2011, 10:40:24 PM »
wmcatty, you are over reacting here a tad, take a deep breath and step back for a minute.

My quess the problem is more on your end or your ISP etc There are thousands if WLIP's running fine with no issues. Have you worked throuth the FAQ?

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2011, 10:52:40 PM »
Hey Flag: I have checked with my ISP, performed the ISP checks, and monitored the Weatherlink site for a week now...as well as conducted all recommendations from others on this forum as far as equipment goes.  All indications point to Davis, which has not responded to my inquiries for 4 days now.  My data stopped flowing (or posted) to the weatherlink site 3 hours ago and my pc reports all is well...and is still receiving/reporting data as well.  I do not know where the problem is, but I suspect it is on the Weatherlink.com site, but do not know for sure since they will not correspond with me. I am getting frustrated with this and have to admit that a few steps away would not hurt my feelings.  I have done all I can do with the information and equipment I have, but do not see any light at the end of the tunnel.  I realize that it may be my shortcomings with regards to the set up that may be causing the problem, but do not know where to initiate the corrective actions until Davis tells me that it is not there problem...hence, my problem until Davis communicates.  Thanks for settling me down a bit.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 11:27:55 PM by wmcatty »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #39 on: September 08, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »
Sorry about the "neophyte" tag...my temper was flaring when I wrote the above response.  No derogatory labeling intended.

Gee thanks.  Spoken like a true lawyer.  "Did or did you not beat your wife??"

Good luck with your "problem".  I am sure the Davis BOD will be all over it first thing in the AM.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #40 on: September 08, 2011, 10:59:30 PM »
As am I, Bushman.

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: September 08, 2011, 11:52:13 PM »
Ok not sure if this has been asked or what you have configured?

Is the WLIP on DHCP or fixed IP?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2011, 12:10:06 AM »
I'm going to throw out a couple of things here...

wmcatty, have you CALLED Davis tech support and talked with them about the problem?

If your station is having problems, and other WLIP stations are not, then the problem is not necessarily YOU or DAVIS. The Internet is a vast network of independent ISPs, carriers, and web hosts. The problem could be ANYWHERE between you and the Davis servers. It could be a bad switch, mis-configured router or crashing DNS server anywhere between you and the final server. It could be a dug-up fiber line. Just because other stations near you don't have problems doesn't necessarily make it a Davis problem.

If we can find the Internet address that the WLIP sends data to, then the tracert command I mentioned earlier can tell volumes...

I recommend that you turn down your ire knob, learn a few basic trouble-shooting techniques, and call Davis tech support and ask if they are having problems. I've always found their techs to be helpful on the phone.

OTOH, as an IT professional, I can say that your antagonistic email techniques that probably serve you well as an attorney will do little to engender sympathy with the people best suited to help you with your problem.

Good luck...

PS: also as an IT professional, I would be remiss if I didn't recommend rebooting EVERYTHING in your network chain. You'd be surprised 1) how often this fixes things, and 2) how often even we pros forget to try it. :)

1) power down the modem, router, switch and WLIP.

2) reboot the modem, Wait for all the lights to green up.

3) reboot the router. Wait for a minute or 2

3) reboot your switch, if your network is big enough to have one

4) reboot the WLIP.

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2011, 12:14:54 AM »
It is a fixed IP, connected directly to a router ethernet port (data) by ethernet cable from the WLIP directly to the router.  I have a 4 port wireless router and connected the ethernet cable to the first open port upon installation. After several hours, I noticed there was a data reporting delay for several hours...which has continued for the past week.  After 3 days, I disconnected the cable and installed it in another port (data) that was open/available...still no change in the data being posted.  I have approx. 10 hours a day of data not being transmitted/posted and nobody seems to have any suggestions other than it is Davis's problem.
Since Davis will not respond, do you have any suggestions for me?    

Offline wmcatty

• Forecaster
    • Heart of Texas Weather
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2011, 12:28:55 AM »
Thanks Sloweather.  I am out of town this evening and will have to unplug and reboot everything when I get home Fri. night.  I will call Davis in the morning and ask tech support if they are having server problems. I have turned down my ire and hope that it does not imply that I am normally so antagonistic, but I take offense to being labeled stupid or dumb.  I called Davis tech support on Tues. morning and the tech told me that he would have to send an email to the IT dept. and ask them if there was a problem, to which I have not heard anything.  I have also powered down all my equipment, but to no avail.  Other than Davis, what do you suggest I do?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 12:32:58 AM by wmcatty »

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2011, 12:50:59 AM »
This "4 port wireless routher", this then is not ADSL or similar? When you wireless, is this a WiFi type wireless or wireless broadband?

If behind all the time then starting to sound like latency issue?

Can you open the WLIP web page in IE?

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2011, 12:54:04 AM »
is the data on the davis web site always behind by the same amount?
i.e maybe that is a clue
(e.g is the time on the Davis console correct?)
(might be clutching at the wrong straws here)
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Flag

• Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2011, 12:54:59 AM »
http://www.weatherlink.com/faq.php#sendsrvr

Have you checked out the FAQ section?

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2011, 05:36:16 AM »
is the data on the davis web site always behind by the same amount?
i.e maybe that is a clue
(e.g is the time on the Davis console correct?)
(might be clutching at the wrong straws here)
I've seen no delay.  When Weatherlink.com is posting his data, it is within 1 minute of the actual time.  As of 5:30 AM EST, Friday 9.9, his latest data is dated 18:20 Thursday September 8, 2011.
His sites:
http://www.weatherlink.com/user/wmcatty/index.php?view=main&headers=0
http://www.weatherlink.com/user/wmcatty/index.php?view=summary&headers=0
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW8373&last=24
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KTXGATES4
Weatherlink dot com map.  
http://www.weatherlink.com/map.php?station=wmcatty
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 06:31:07 AM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2011, 10:00:52 AM »

3.  Please confirm that the version of the firmware on your WLIP is the latest version (yeah, I know you just got it, but...)

May I gently point out that you aren't very good at following directions (or reporting the results)?

It's rather difficult for us to help, because we aren't where you are, and there are lots of possible variables.  And it is certainly true that your problem is quite unusual (apparently few or no other people are experiencing it).  Why would it be "logical" for WeatherLink.Com to be rather reliably accepting data from  thousands of other users, but not accepting your data for long stretches of time, repeated over a number of days?

We understand your frustration.  But alienating forum participants who might be able to help you solve your problem might not be the best strategy.

Now:

Do the data outages seem to occur at approximately the same time, and for approximately the same duration?

During an outage period, have you tried doing a Web Download of data from WeatherLink.com?  If not, please try that when convenient.

During the outage period, are your other internet services working normally? 

What other web-based services do you have or use?  [Backup, netflix, torrent, seti, folding, etc...)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 11:07:53 AM by dalecoy »

anything