Author Topic: Atlas wind speed accuracy  (Read 896 times)

Offline Reeves1017

Atlas wind speed accuracy
« on: November 28, 2019, 12:44:35 PM »
Hi! I have been browsing the forum for a while and finally decide to join. I知 having a wind issue it seems with my atlas.  I have only had it for a few months and seems like once it start getting really windy it doesn稚 report it properly. We have had a steady 15 20mph wind here in NJ and it has not reported over 11mph today.  There is nothing surrounding the sensor to block the wind I live right off a farm field.  It has brand new lithium batteries, I have pulled the battieres to reset the sensor. I also went up and made sure the wind cup  is seated all the way down with still no Change.   Has anyone else experienced this?

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
Re: Atlas wind speed accuracy
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 02:22:44 PM »
I haven't had that problem . Are you sending to WU ? If so  are the other station around you reporting the same wind as you ? If not go to WU and find your area and compare the current readings .

Hi! I have been browsing the forum for a while and finally decide to join. I知 having a wind issue it seems with my atlas.  I have only had it for a few months and seems like once it start getting really windy it doesn稚 report it properly. We have had a steady 15 20mph wind here in NJ and it has not reported over 11mph today.  There is nothing surrounding the sensor to block the wind I live right off a farm field.  It has brand new lithium batteries, I have pulled the battieres to reset the sensor. I also went up and made sure the wind cup  is seated all the way down with still no Change.   Has anyone else experienced this?

Offline Reeves1017

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 06:32:16 PM »
I just signed up to wether under ground.  Everyone else around me is around 10mph.  I知 registering 1mph

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 11:29:54 AM »
I just signed up to wether under ground.  Everyone else around me is around 10mph.  I知 registering 1mph

Here's the steps I would take now . If your wind is still way off I would take down the Atlas and open the UV/Rain part and check the plug there to make sure it's set properly . Also the wind vane has a plug make sure it's set properly . Plus while your there find the QC number in the battery compartment and write that down . If after this your wind still isn't working right I would chat or call AcuRite about this problem Monday . You will need that QC number to send to them so make sure you keep it handy !!

nincehelser has posted some good breakdown photos here that should help you https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35220.0

Also here's some help with the wind sensor plug . This is the PDF on how to add the wind extension and show you were the plug for the wind is inside the Atlas . I'm not saying to buy the wind extension just want you to be able to see the plug and make sure it's seated properly . This PDF will show you how to remove it so as to not break it !!! https://www.acurite.com/media/manuals/06072-QSG.pdf 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 11:32:23 AM by Mabcmb »

Offline Reeves1017

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 12:15:48 PM »
Thanks for the help!! I知 take the sensor down and check the plug. 

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2019, 01:55:37 PM »
If it's spinning fast, and reading low, it must be a connection issue.

Offline Reeves1017

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2019, 02:12:21 PM »
Yea spinning fast and will only register like 7 mph.   Today other stations a round me are showing 10mph winds.   Mine is showing 1 mph

Offline Reeves1017

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »
I took it down replace the batteries again  checked the connector seems to working now.   Thanks for the help

anything