Author Topic: NEWBE HERE  (Read 2076 times)

Offline flyerphan10

• DelaWeather
NEWBE HERE
« on: February 23, 2020, 11:03:19 PM »
Ok. I down loaded the software WEATHER34 SMART  https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/weather34-standalone.html

create a folder on your server be it hosted or locally. call it whatever you wish for example console. Probably easy. not sure what to do at this step.

I did create a folder. as to server, maybe thats the question.
Love chatting about anything :)

Offline weather34

• Forecaster
    • https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation
Re: NEWBE HERE
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 01:32:34 AM »
good morning

do you have a url to view ?

if not and local server then first type localhost url  then click the bottom settings icon
set your personal preferences.

you will need to setup the 4 steps in the meteobridge itself  using the setup guide
half way down the page at https://weather34.com/homeweatherstation/weather34-standalone.html

if you need further help feel free to pm but do take timezone differences or me being preoccupied into consideration on how quickly i get to respond.  dont worry everything falls into place sometimes something new can be overwhelming or foreign looking we all have to learn and adapt at times.. brian

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 10:43:45 AM »
So another relative newbie here with weather servers.

I did get CumulusMX working a while ago. Only on local host as I don't know about getting it onto internet.

I got the PWD and downloaded Weather34.

So I just put the folder into my Pi running Apache or Nginx, in the appropriate place, and I can browse to it and see the display?

Or if I had a web space hosted I could point it there? I would need the template filed there too?

Sorry for such a "For Dummies" question.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 11:29:48 AM »

I did get CumulusMX working a while ago. Only on local host as I don't know about getting it onto internet.
Cumulus version available here https://cumuluswiki.org/a/HomeWeatherStationTemplate
http://komokaweather.com/pws/

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 11:43:12 AM »
The Cumulus setup I was doing was with MeteoPi.

So for this you just set up a Pi with web server and drop the extracted folder into the root?

"Unzip to the document root of your website"

Then I setup Meteobridge to send to that URL?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 12:46:55 PM »

I have the Meteo-Pi but don't know how to use it ](*,)

Ken True (saratogoWX) is maintaining the Home Weather Station Template for Cumulus distribution https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=142515#p142515

Cumulus provides the realtime.txt file for the template realtime data and in the Cumulus settings just need to FTP realtime.txt at realtime interval to your webserver.
My experiences have all been to unzip the template on my PC and then FTP all the template files to the webserver site, in my case public_html/komokaweather.com/pws
Login to the template on the remote ../pws/easyweathersetup.php and do all the settings, including the correct path to the Cumulus uploaded realtime.txt, then all the available settings.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 05:16:37 PM »
Sooooooo Ya.

I set up a website.

Upload the files of the template to the root of my web server?????

I used FileZilla and they appear to be there where the host said to put them.......I don't see any action.

I guess I don't have a clue about this. Didn't seem that complicated.......

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 07:39:53 PM »

Hi,
Agreed, not too complicated but need to get the full path correct and these can be different from one host to another.  Need to see something more to understand where you're at... the /www/www as the remote site shown on the FileZilla doesn't help, do you have a full url for your site?  And presume it is the CU-HWS template you are trying to get working?

I'll gladly take a call if that may be helpful.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 08:00:40 PM »
So many "Tutorials" and what not and each one differs a bit.

This one seems to say only certain files get uploaded to my server?

https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Simple_Website_setup

They say pretty specifically that www/www/ is where to put main files.

I did something to it because the default page is no longer there when I browse to my page, just a 403 Forbidden.

It was the CU-HWS I had unzipped but like I said about tutorials......lost track.

The one I linked above seemed concise and I started over. Just using the CumulusMX file right now.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 08:05:44 PM »
The site should be at:

http://www.morewoodweather.ca/

Offline gszlag

• Forecaster
  • ..have you calibrated your barometer today?
    • Michael's Bay - Manitoulin Island weather
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 08:19:10 PM »
Sooooooo Ya.

I set up a website.

Upload the files of the template to the root of my web server?????

I used FileZilla and they appear to be there where the host said to put them.......I don't see any action.

I guess I don't have a clue about this. Didn't seem that complicated.......

Paul is correct. You will want to use a web host to host your new weather 34 template to a specific path.. Once you have uploaded the unzipped weather template you will need to upload (ftp)all those files and folders to your web host.  The web host will likely be Linux based therefore you might see reference to "root".
To keep things tidy you don't want to upload the template files to the root directory. It will cause a mess. Ask me how I know :)

Attention all techies. Kindly avert your eyes..low-tech speak follows below.

To make your web site visible to the outside world it should be uploaded to the public_html folder. But again, to be tidy, you create a new folder, say...davidmc. So your directory path is now: /public_html/davidmc. In the davidmc folder you can create more folders with your ftp software. So for example if you are using Ken True's CU-HWS template and it is the may 20020 release, you can create a folder called CU-HWS. You new path is /public_html/davidmc/CU-HWS. It would be a good idea to create sub-folders within the CU-HWS folder. One folder for each release maybe.

But wait! You might want to try the other weather34 "flavours". So you should create new folders as needed in the folder called davidmc .
Do not worry about instructions to install in the "root". You web host will allow you to point to any folder or path as "root".

From your screen snip I see a folder called "www". I believe "www" folder is a  link to the public_html folder so either of these two folders will work.  Linux users seem to prefer using the public_html folder as do I.

Once your template is uploaded to your web host which "serves" your files on the world wide web you can now launch the php script that sets up your template.
Depending on how you set up your folders it might be something like this:
You enter this on your browser (firefox, Brave, Vivaldi, etc)..

http://www.morewoodweather.ca/CU-HWS/easyweathersetup.php

I do not use CumulusMX but it should generate a realtime.txt file somewhere. You will have to specify the path in the template's easyweather setup.
Perhaps Paul can assist you there.

Hope that helps a little..

Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
Ecowitt WS68: Anemometer, UV/solar
Ecowitt WH40: Rain gauge
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning sensor
Ecowitt WH32E: Outside T & H sensor
Stratus Rain Gauge (manual)
Raspberry Pi 3B+ (WeeWX/CumulusMX)
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W (WeeWX/MQTT/Belchertown)
---
Barometer wiki: http://meshka.eu/Ecowitt/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=barometer#barometer
---
http://weather.glenns.ca (pwsdashboard - live)
http://weewx.glenns.ca
http://glenns.ca/cumulusmx2/index.htm
---
Uploading to: AWN, ecowitt.net, Weather Underground, PWSweather.com, AWEKAS, Windy.com, WOW

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 08:53:47 PM »
........Once you have uploaded the unzipped weather template you will need to upload (ftp)all those files and folders to your web host.  ..............

You're saying I upload the entire template...... and then also upload some specific files?

From your screen snip I see a folder called "www". I believe "www" folder is a  link to the public_html folder so either of these two folders will work.  Linux users seem to prefer using the public_html folder as do I.
The host site instructions say to put my main page in /www/www/  ...  whatever that means to you vs public_html

I just want one page, one bookmark.....CLICK....I see my weather station data.

I thought it was basically put the needed files on site, tell Cumulus that is running on my Pi to send the realtime.txt to the correct address.

Should I not be able to see the weather site to confirm it is configured before any data actually gets sent there? I am talking about just the regular template, not the CU-HWS one.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 09:12:41 PM »
Holy Crap!

I tossed the template over again and it's working!

Need to configure the FTP txt file properly now.

Shocking.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 09:27:52 PM »
Great,
Now a bit more work to do all the settings, including the path to your Cumulus realtime.txt file.

Should I not be able to see the weather site to confirm it is configured before any data actually gets sent there? I am talking about just the regular template, not the CU-HWS one.
You need to FileZilla FTP the contents of the CumulusMX\webfolder to your site.  This has the necessary images and .css to display the standard Cumulus website.  This will then be updated by the data at the interval you have in Cumulus - i.e. 5 min.  You can set the realtime updates at say 5 sec.  I always suggest to set up your site with the standard template to make sure it works and have the settings correct, including to a separate folder rather than your hosting root.  Then you can do whatever you desire.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 09:40:25 PM »
I'm close. I don't get the path settings.

On my server W34 Setup Screen do I need to add the rest of the path that comes before mbridge/MBrealtimeupload.txt??

And then the same path on my FTP settings on Pi so it will send it there????

It was the Aurora Template I ended up loading.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 09:50:57 PM »

I am not familiar with that one but as long as that Aurora templates accepts the Cumulus realtime.txt then should be no problem. 
In the CU-HWS template you need to enter the relative path.  If the realtime.txt is in the same folder as the template then just realtime.txt.  If it is one folder higher then ../realtime.txt.  If it is one folder below then ./foldername/realtime.txt.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 10:07:44 PM »
It looks like something went through. Data is way off though, 15 degrees too high temp etc.

I tried to follow the tips on this screen:

And copy it here:

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2020, 10:11:38 PM »
It's like somebody else uploaded for one cycle lol.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 08:03:16 AM »
The address on W34 template settings is correct.

The first one that populated must have been a test file or something that was already there???

I can edit the .txt file and as soon as I save the altered file, the web page shows station updated.

I can even change the file name and re-point it there successfully.

Just not uploading from MX ftp settings.

I will ping the provider help line.

Can't believe I got this far lol. [tup]
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 09:47:12 AM by davidmc36 »

Offline gszlag

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 10:12:38 AM »
The address on W34 template settings is correct.

I can edit the .txt file and as soon as I save the altered file, the web page shows station updated.

I can even change the file name and re-point it there successfully.

Just not uploading from MX ftp settings.

I will ping the provider help line.

Can't believe I got this far lol. [tup]

It reminds me of my other hobby: "The bees are doing fine despite all the help I am giving them.."

Nice looking template but the Aurora template you are using is for Meteobridge owners only.

You have a raspberry pi and a Meteobridge device? Which device generates the data file and ftp's it to your web host?

I do not have a Meteobridge so I don't think I can be of much help but the basic process should be the same.. I have a rpi running weewx which emulates a Cumulus type data file called realtime.txt. Weewx ftp's the realtime.txt file to my webhost which the template uses to display my home weather station data readings.

A question(s) comes to mind. If you have a Meteobridge wouldn't that device generate the MBrealtime.txt file and ftp/send/uploads it to the web host directly? If so, what is the rpi's function? You are using a Meteobridge API??  Are you running CumulusMX on the rpi? If so, I don't think it will generate the MBreatime.txt file your Aurora template requires for the Meteobridge API.

If you do not have a Meteobridge I would suggest to go back to Ken True's CU-HWS template, install CumulusMX or weewx on the rpi and have CumulusMX or weewx ftp a realtime.txt file to your web host.
--
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
---
Barometer wiki: http://meshka.eu/Ecowitt/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=barometer#barometer
---
---
Uploading to: AWN, ecowitt.net, Weather Underground, PWSweather.com, AWEKAS, Windy.com, WOW

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 11:08:49 AM »
I own a MeteoBridge. It is doing uploads to other sites. It gets Data from WiFiLogger hooked to wired console (ISS0). WFL also does uploads.

I have a MeteoPi on my other console (ISS1) and CumulusMX installed and running. I want to push that by FTP to my new site. I will not publish it to the weather sites until some repairs are done and it is fully vetted. I just want to be able to view it when outside my home network without it going to where it gets harvested and assimilated. It is not accurate enough yet.

On the morewoodweather.ca site I can use realtime.txt or MBrealtimupload.txt within the template. I can point it to either one and it will display the data there. If I use my server control panel and change that text file.......as soon as I save the altered version....BAM! my website shows Station On-Line....for a little while. The template and website seem to be working fine.

Getting the FTP upload of realtime.txt pushing to my site is the issue.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 12:02:07 PM »
Support for the ICDSoft site is 24/7 and very responsive. Hopefully we can sort it out. Getting some type of "no such directory" errors in the Cumulus log file.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 01:30:20 PM »

Getting some type of "no such directory" errors in the Cumulus log file

Is that in the FTP update process and is the error in your local or remote path/file?  You can turn on Debug and FTP logging if needed.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 04:52:14 PM »
Error is logged in local Cumulus FTP Activity Log. The way it reads is it does not find the path to write the file.....so it doesn't think the path is there at my website. I copied the path exactly as support told me to.

I turned the log on. Not sure if "Debug" exactly is turned on.

Offline gszlag

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 05:09:50 PM »
Error is logged in local Cumulus FTP Activity Log. The way it reads is it does not find the path to write the file.....so it doesn't think the path is there at my website. I copied the path exactly as support told me to.

I turned the log on. Not sure if "Debug" exactly is turned on.

Two items. In my template, only the URL method worked for me, i.e http://www.yourdomain.ca/some_folder/realtime.txt.
and in weewx the upload ftp path is merely /some_folder.

When you are signing in with ftp the webhost knows who you are and in the three web hosts that I have used in the past, you do not need (normally) to supply the whole path /home/user/folder.

Sorry -getting stumped -probably something simple...

Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
---
---
---