Author Topic: Need help getting past weather data  (Read 1215 times)

Offline Red Dragon

• Weather Chipmunk
Need help getting past weather data
« on: January 30, 2017, 12:43:57 AM »
For a project I'm doing I want to get the daily weather data from the station at the local airport. I was going to use Weather Undergrounds CSV files but they jut got rid of them recently. I know I could use the API but it only gets me the data for one day and I need it for 5 years back. Do you guys know a way I can get the daily summery for 5 years back on weather underground or know of another source I can get the information from. I'm going to be using a script or program to get the data and put in a database.

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Need help getting past weather data
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 05:24:47 AM »
In the scripts I use in my template I use the WU XML feed. It depends what interval you are interested in. For my template I need 5min, in which case you have to iterate all the days because the data in 5min intervals is provided in the XML feeds always 1day=1page.

Here is an example of a link with data in daily interval:
https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IJIHOMOR22&month=01&day=01&year=2016&format=1&graphspan=year

And here is the 5min interval given per day which I use
https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IJIHOMOR22&month=01&day=01&year=2016&format=1

Offline Red Dragon

• Weather Chipmunk
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 11:36:32 AM »
Thank you, I do want to get as much information for the days as I can

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 11:44:08 AM »
Hi,
then you will have to do the same thing as I did - go through all the pages day by day. If you want to use the 5min intervals thats what you have to use. In my experience the WU server is fast enough to import/process approximately one year in one go.

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 06:37:02 PM »
Check your state or local NWS climate office. They should have the data you want.

John

Offline bchwdlks

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 08:56:47 PM »
... know of another source I can get the information from. I'm going to be using a script or program to get the data and put in a database.

Try here www.ncdc.noaa.gov/data-access/land-based-station-data/land-based-datasets/ for US based locations.

"Quality Controlled Local Climatological Data (QCLCD)

Quality Controlled Local Climatological Data (QCLCD) consist of hourly, daily, and monthly summaries for approximately 1,600 U.S. locations. Daily Summary forms are not available for all stations. Data are available beginning January 1, 2005 and continue to the present. Please note, there may be a 48-hour lag in the availability of the most recent data."