Author Topic: Acurite Atlas Elite  (Read 15015 times)

Offline magoo

Re: Acurite Atlas Elite
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 05:31:51 PM »
Still waiting for the mystical Elite...

I will likely see a unicorn before an Elite.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2020, 07:38:08 PM »
They have something online at Acurite that updates very fast. (Wunderground) I'm wondering if that is an Elite. It is using Ambient software though.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2020, 09:32:13 PM »
They have something online at Acurite that updates very fast. (Wunderground) I'm wondering if that is an Elite. It is using Ambient software though.

Something online where? What? Can you explain that with more details? It just doesn't make sense. Why would Acurite have something that uses Ambient software???
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline BeaverMeadow

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2020, 08:37:57 AM »
The Elite's specs if I recall were supposed to be right up there with the top Davis Pro2. I guess that was a harder thing to accomplish than originally thought. Also, since Davis never came out with a Pro3 perhaps Acurite figures the marketplace is working for them the way they have their product line configured. I'm guessing my first theory is more correct but it is a total guess. (Correct me if I am wrong).

Whatever the reason the Elite is still vaporous which is too bad because it sure looked like it would have been an exciting piece of equipment. 

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2020, 08:44:14 AM »

Something online where? What? Can you explain that with more details? It just doesn't make sense. Why would Acurite have something that uses Ambient software???

I looked for it last night, but they took it off the air. It was labeled with "Acurite HQ" or "Chaney HQ". I checked my history but when I clicked it I got an error message. When I looked for the software by clicking the little I circle, it was an Ambient software "vws 00"

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2020, 09:17:58 AM »
I would hope that any PWS manufacturer would have hardware from every single competitor around their labs, to test their own stuff against the competition.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2020, 11:08:03 AM »
I took a look at google maps, and see they have a big radiation shield and a lot of poles set up behind some Christmas trees. You can't really see good, and I guess that's the idea of the trees.

Offline Mabcmb

• My WU page
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2020, 08:03:55 PM »
Here's a picture of the Elite from CES2017 yes 2017 .

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline magoo

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2020, 08:15:39 PM »
Yeah that has been around for years. It’s just a tease at this point.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 09:07:47 PM »
Can we assume the Acurite Atlas Elite is now a dead product? There is no mention of it that I can find on the Acurite web site and it seems it no longer gets mentioned in this forum or anywhere else. It was announced in Jan. 2017. You would think there would be some mention of it somewhere if it was still in active development/testing/manufacturing.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2020, 09:34:06 PM »
I'm sure this will absolutely agitate many here, but I have NO idea how Acurite is still in business. They have had more returns than can be counted posted here, be it 5-1's or the Atlas display freezing time and time again, no back up battery power, no signal reception, whatever... Forget the "Elite". Time to move along. 2 cents.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2020, 08:10:45 AM »
Forget the "Elite". Time to move along. 2 cents.

When I got tired of waiting for the Elite as an upgrade to my 5-in-1 after more than a year, I picked up a Davis VP2.  It works flawlessly, but I just realized that my VP2 is well out of warranty and *still* no Elite in sight.  Glad that I didn't wait any longer.

My next weather station will be an integration of best-of-breed sensors from several different manufacturers, or maybe a complete ASOS if they are hitting the government surplus market soon.....

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2020, 07:56:20 PM »
What happened to Ninchehelser? He would know what happened if anyone does I would assume.

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2020, 08:29:48 PM »
What happened to Ninchehelser?

My assumption was banned camp for being too argumentative in a few threads last winter, but it looks like he just stopped logging on in early March for some reason:

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?action=profile;u=10666

I hope he wasn't an early COVID casualty!!!!!

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2020, 09:13:50 AM »
I read where the Elite is in it's 5th extension, and will be coming out soon. I have no idea if this is true, but if it's the case, the Elite should be coming out really soon. Apparently, they wanted to be very careful with this system. I'm hopeful this one will have some flexibility about who you can share data with, as that is the real issue for me with the Atlas. The lightning issue, the UV issue, and the signal issue from the Atlas are all fixable. I fixed the first two myself.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2020, 09:32:55 AM »
Direct live data access over the LAN is key. Ambient has missed the boat on that too, only to be saved by the Ecowitt GW1000 (as it is a compatible accessory for Ambient). No matter how much Ambient likes to praise all the other ways you can get data. I think also important missing in some or all Acurite systems is manual barometric calibration.
Tele-Pole

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2020, 09:50:50 AM »
Direct live data access over the LAN is key. Ambient has missed the boat on that too, only to be saved by the Ecowitt GW1000 (as it is a compatible accessory for Ambient). No matter how much Ambient likes to praise all the other ways you can get data. I think also important missing in some or all Acurite systems is manual barometric calibration.

You can calibrate the barometer in the Access, or the display.

Offline John Z

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2020, 03:14:52 PM »
DoctorKnow, Vreihen,

A couple of days ago you guys had asked what happened to Nincehelser. Sadly, his illness has claimed him. He was discovered  dead at his home in Round Rock TX on August 1. His day of passing is unclear. An online obit has been posted, and comes up immediately if you search on his full name, George David Nincehelser.

We probably all butted heads with him at least once, but no one can deny his long running helpfulness to the weather community. I also count him as a Ham Radio brother. He will be missed, not forgotten.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2020, 03:36:51 PM »
RIP Nincehelser. Sure we butted heads but I always appreciated the dialog and we all appreciated your knowledge and contributions and you were never banned. You were just too set in your learned ways to ever grant an opposing view or idea. I feel awkward having the last word because I knew you would always come back and say something back and I was always okay with that. I'll say goodbye by saying I'm glad I got to know you some at least.
Tele-Pole

Offline vreihen

• El Niño chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2020, 04:59:14 PM »

Offline daman

• Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2020, 08:58:41 PM »
Sad, George was so helpful great guy he'll be missed RIP.
KMIBADAX38
AcuRite Iris/AcuRite Access

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2020, 09:54:28 PM »
Sad to hear about George. I actually got a kick out of his... personality on here and in the old Acurite community. He helped me get started with rtl-433, and the reason I have one collecting data from 25 or so sensors. I somewhat gave up on the Elite, but the 5N1 sits next to a VP2 now.

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2020, 02:53:43 PM »
George was a character but was one of the most knowledgeable people to visit our forum.  If I would ever challenge him on anything, I'd always cringe when coming back a few hours later to see how he'd reply.  It was always worth it to me though. Opinionated, cantankerous but often SO helpful to people.  I had wondered why he wasn't around here lately.

I'll really miss his posts     :-( 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 11:24:08 AM by AlanD96 »

Offline radioman61

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2020, 02:28:34 PM »
Very sad news indeed.  George could be a real pistol at times.  I will miss him

Offline jmello65

« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2020, 11:06:00 PM »
When the Atlas was released i pointed out many issues/bugs/defects. George always dismissed me and the problems , stating they were'nt issues, even though some of those issues were fixed by Acurite pointed out by me. Wont go any farther -- cause everyone above pretty much summed  George up...  Maybe it was his illness he was suffering that made him grumpy, so will give him the benefit of the doubt -- well he doesnt have to suffer any longer.  Cant be that bad if he had a love of weather -- like me and others on this board have 

anything