Poll

Is a built-in motion detector or API solution for switching the TFT on/off desired for the successor of the HP2551C?

absolutely!
1 (7.1%)
gladly, but not decisive for purchase
7 (50%)
I don't need
6 (42.9%)
no way!
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: Successor to the HP2551C console - a wish list  (Read 2543 times)

Online olicat

• Forecaster
  • GWxx00, HPx5x1C, WN1900C, WN1980C & WS3800C
    • FOSHKplugin
Successor to the HP2551C console - a wish list
« on: January 31, 2023, 04:04:43 AM »
Hi!

The HP2560C has been around for a few months now as the supposed successor to the HP2551C.
However, I refuse to see this device as a successor - apparently only the MCU has been replaced, presumably due to a shortage of components.
And the T/H/P sensors, which were previously only connectable via WH32B, were moved "into" the console.
Otherwise, the TFT and software of the new console are exactly the same as the old one.

From your point of view, what should the successor model of the HP2551C look like?

Size: as before 8" or 10" or 12".
  I would like a slightly larger panel.
More valuable housing, heavier?
  gladly!
internal or external sensors?
  I would like to see the possibility of overriding the internal sensors with a WH32B (or an improved version)
With integrated SD card slot for local storage of all data?
  Indispensable for me!
Power supply: MicroUSB, USB-C or hollow plug?
  at least the socket should be designed in such a way that the cable is led out to the back and wall mounting is possible
From your point of view, should there be the optional possibility of an external antenna?
  That would require an antenna socket - I would welcome that. No one has to use it. But you can!
Integrated back-up batteries or SuperCAP?
  At the very least, this would allow RF data to come in during power outages. I consider operation in WIFI via the batteries to be out of the question.
separate USB port (which one - microUSB/USB-C?) for data access?
  Ideally, it should be a combined port (power+data) as a USB-C socket
built-in motion detector for switching the TFT on/off desired?
  For me, that would be a very useful feature. The diplay is only activated when movement is detected and remains active for a selectable time (with re-trigger).
  This saves power and protects the display. But I would also be satisfied with (de)activation via WIFI (GW1000 API).
  Of course, this option should be deactivatable and the previously usable time switch should be usable.
Should it be mandatory for the user to be able to change the arrangement of the tiles on the TFT?

with bidirectional communication and weather forecast from the network (e.g. support of forecast icons coming from Ecowitt)?
Support for the GW1000 API - but also the possibility to query data stored on the SD card via WIFI.
Touch sensors like on the HP2560C or real buttons like on the HP2551C?
Configuration exclusively via WSView Plus/integrated WebUI or also at the console itself?
  I could do without configuration at the console!
Web interface (WebUI) incl. live data display as with the GW2000/GW1100
NTP configurable
IPv6 support necessary?
5GHz WIFI support necessary?
  The currently available MCUs (e.g. ESP32) do not offer 5GHz - I don't see any urgent need for it either.
Support for modern WIFI protocols such as 802.11k as well as 802.11v.
  Urgently needed in a mesh network.
IFTTT and voice assistant support required?

Should other values be calculated and output?
  I am thinking e.g. of the calculation of ET (to be roughly on par with Davis).
Improved air pressure calculation
  Input possibility of the station altitude
  temperature-compensated air pressure calculation (technically no problem - the temperature values are available to the console)
Improved mean value calculation when sending to the individual destinations.
  example:
  Transmission interval to ecowitt.net is set to 3 minutes, with the various sensors transmitting values several times within this time period
  Previous procedure: the LAST value is always sent during the interval.
  better:
  when sending reset internal counter per sensor value temp_counter = 0 and temp_avg = 0
  when a new value is received temp_counter += 1 and temp_avg += temp
  then send temp_avg/temp_counter at next transmission interval

How do you see it? Are there things you would still like to have?
Maybe we can develop our wishful thinking of a new console together here? I'm sure Ecowitt is reading along!

And - not insignificantly:
Of course, the development and higher-quality parts cost money. You can't expect to get a 10" or 12" console for the same price of the HP2551C with an 8" TFT.
Assuming all or most of your wishes would be fulfilled. How much money would you be willing to pay for it?

I will try to make good use of the forum's polling function. If you're interested, just take part and join in the discussion.
Thank you!

Oliver

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
Re: Successor to the HP2551C console - a wish list
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2023, 04:28:22 AM »
Survey results ...

Of course, these kinds of surveys are in no way representative. Nevertheless, they at least give a picture of the mood regarding the wishes here in the forum.

31.01.23 - 04.02.23
How big should a successor console to the HP2551C be?
7" (smaller than HP2551C)      0
8" (same as HP2551C)            4
10"                                      14
12"                                        4
bigger                                    1

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

04.02.23 - 09.02.23
Should there be the option for an external T/H/P sensor (as with the HP2551C)?
absolutely!                                       10
gladly, but not decisive for purchase   1
I don't care                                       1
no way!                                            0

09.02.23-16.02.23
Should there be an SD card slot again to automatically save the data as CSV (as with the HP2551C)?
absolutely!                                        16 (66.7%)
gladly, but not decisive for purchase    6 (25%)
I don't need                                       2 (8.3%)
no way!                                             0 (0%)

16.02.23-23.02.23
Would you like to have the possibility to connect an external antenna?
It is welcome to be delivered with external antenna already!    2 (11.1%)
I would like to have it as an option (i.e. only the socket)!       14 (77.8%)
The internal antenna is enough for me!                                  2 (11.1%)
Stop it with these stupid surveys!                                          0 (0%)

23.02.2023 - 02.03.2023
Should the successor to the HP2551C include integrated backup batteries or a supercap?
absolutely!                                                                         10 (76.9%)
gladly, but not decisive for purchase                                       2 (15.4%)
I don't need                                                                          1 (7.7%)
no way!                                                                                0 (0%)

02.03.2023 - 11.12.23
Is an integrated motion sensor or an API solution for switching the TFT on and off desirable?
absolutely!                                                                            1 (7.1%)
gladly, but not decisive for purchase                                        7 (50%)
I don't need                                                                          6 (42.9%)
no way!                                                                                0 (0%)

Offline Pooley

• My Weatherstation on Wunderground
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2023, 06:56:50 AM »
I honestly think the most useful feature (for me) and I know this has been mentioned and answered in other threads, would be if there was some form of power outage that knocked out mains supply that it could draw on
. Following on from this would be that if (Inter)net connectivity went down that once it was restored the console could upload the gaps/missing data to ecowitt.net.

I say this because the most likely reason that power and/or internet connectivity would go down would be because of extreme weather - which is when the data that the arrays/sensors have recorded would be most informative. If the power is out and/or network is down then that information is lost forever. Yes, I do have both my console and modem on separate UPS's (good for about 3 hours each) but, particular if the network goes down external to your location then that data is 'lost' to the sites you share it to and only available on your local systems.

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2023, 07:23:58 AM »
Hi!

the console could upload the gaps/missing data to ecowitt.net.
I understand (and share) this desire. However, this is more a wish in the direction of the Ecowitt.net service and not for a new console.
As long as the service is not able to receive the data afterwards, there is little that can be done to improve the console in this respect.
At least an integrated backup battery could enable the subsequent upload of data to suitable services (such as Awekas).
Accordingly, it is not a shortcoming of the console but only of the destination.

Here in this thread, however, it should primarily be about the wishes for a new console.
Related wishes are of course also worth mentioning. Thank you!

Regards, Oliver

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2023, 09:32:36 AM »
I agree with Pooley about having some sort of battery backup during a power failure. I also prefer keeping the indoor temperature/humidity sensors separate from the console. Often, the ideal location for the console is near a window to get optimal signal from the outdoor array and other sensors, but that may not be the best location for the indoor sensors because of sunlight/drafts. My Ambient WS-2000 console is near a window and gets a couple of hours of direct sunlight during certain times of the year.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 09:37:00 AM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline Rocketman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2023, 03:46:03 PM »
Maybe have the option for direct connect ethernet port on the console for LAN activity
and give the option to set a static IP address
Also power supply for the console should be 12 volt ( giving options for solar power supply etc... )
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 08:59:32 PM by Rocketman »
HP2550 console 1.9.3 , WS80 1.2.4 , WH57 lightning sensor , WH40 rain gauge , WH51 soil moisture sensor , GW1100 gateway 2.3.0

Online Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2023, 04:18:07 PM »
That would be nice, and inline with what the GW2000 has. I get the dilemma though, the added cost of for the port in design, as most , that have a display, are going to position it where they want. Rarely does that mean there is an ethernet connection at that location. Sure , it happens , I did say rarely.

but.. worth consideration.

I get it though, I reserve my hardline spots for those things I need absolute speed. Computers, servers, etc.. Even my main  TV / receivers /  Rokus are hardwired cat . But for a console/gateway , with most of the purchasing public using WIFI for everything , and so few not having a WIFI, and that the weather consoles/gateways use so little BW, think we need a priority on wants.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2023, 04:27:06 PM by Rover1822 »
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline Rocketman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 04:56:58 PM »
Be nice to spread your weather station info over multiple consoles  :shock:
HP2550 console 1.9.3 , WS80 1.2.4 , WH57 lightning sensor , WH40 rain gauge , WH51 soil moisture sensor , GW1100 gateway 2.3.0

Offline wsNoordbergum

• Contributor
    • wsNoordbergum
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2023, 05:23:22 PM »
Well just read this thread and here's my wishlist.
First of all a touchscreen, it is just so better, instead of using the arrow keys for typing....
And a better resolution of the screen...with adjustable lay out maybe presets.
A beaufort scale would be nice like a bar style.
The screen itself just has to be bigger than the 2551 because there can be a lot of sensors to show, they are now a little bit added on to free space on the screen it seems...
I have no problems with the temperature and humidity sensors being inside the console.
Micro SD card for storage is just fine
Davis Vantage Pro 2 UV/Solar
Meteobridge nano SD
Ecowitt WS90 WH40 WH31 WH57 GW2000 HP2550_c
CumulusMX/raspberry Pi 4b

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2023, 05:48:19 PM »
Hi!

First of all a touchscreen, it is just so better, instead of using the arrow keys for typing....
In my opinion, one should type as little as possible directly on the console. If possible, all settings and inputs should be made via WSView Plus or the integrated WebUI.
An onscreen keyboard and navigation by cursor can thus be omitted. As a reminder: GW2000 or GW1100 do not have an onscreen keyboard either - and we get along very well with this!
Presumably a touchscreen is much more expensive (guess). And the fingerprints on the display are not always pretty either. I could do without.

I have no problems with the temperature and humidity sensors being inside the console.
I wouldn't mind either, as long as the sensor could be folded down and thus hidden, as with the WN19x0C, and an additional (!) WH32B could be registered. As an option.
Technically, this is easy to do - a default active option "use internal T/H/P" should be deactivatable. If deactivated, the values of a WH32B are used instead.
Or the other way round: The WH32B can be (de)activated in the sensor overview.

Oliver

Online Rover1822

• Forecaster
    • Mini Wind and Solar Data project
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2023, 06:14:06 PM »
Technically, this is easy to do - a default active option "use internal T/H/P" should be deactivatable. If deactivated, the values of a WH32B are used instead.
Or the other way round: The WH32B can be (de)activated in the sensor overview.

Yes...yes. We have people snipping/ de-soldering wires to achieve this. It should not be necessary.
Ambient:
  WS-2000
  PM 2.5(2)
  WH31B(2)
  WH40E
  WH31P
EcoWitt:
  GW1100
  GW1000(4)
  WH31(2)
  WH57
  WH51(12),
  WH40
  WH5360B
  WN34S
  WittBoy WS90 + GW2000
  WS90 (other one) + GW1100
Personal Sites: Weather Cam

Offline wsNoordbergum

• Contributor
    • wsNoordbergum
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2023, 06:17:50 PM »
In my opinion, one should type as little as possible directly on the console. If possible, all settings and inputs should be made via WSView Plus or the integrated WebUI.
An onscreen keyboard and navigation by cursor can thus be omitted. As a reminder: GW2000 or GW1100 do not have an onscreen keyboard either - and we get along very well with this!
Presumably a touchscreen is much more expensive (guess). And the fingerprints on the display are not always pretty either. I could do without.

I have changed the sensor names via the console is there an easier way to do this?
I also have a GW2000 and yes you can change the sensor names easily, on the console it is a bit more work
So soil 1 is now back yard and so on...
A lot can be done on the app I know but is this possible?
Fingerprints can be a nuissance
Ok the price of a touch screen will be a bit higher, but I think it is worthwhile

Interesting to see what else might come up on this wish list!
Davis Vantage Pro 2 UV/Solar
Meteobridge nano SD
Ecowitt WS90 WH40 WH31 WH57 GW2000 HP2550_c
CumulusMX/raspberry Pi 4b

Offline Pooley

• My Weatherstation on Wunderground
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2023, 09:35:37 PM »
The issue I have with touchscreen displays is that they can lose their calibration over time. I have an old Sat-nav GPS (with capacitive touch) that is now unusable because where you touch on screen is not where the screen registers the touch and no way of re-calibrating the screen. Don't get me wrong, I've never had a problem with touch screen on my phones but then again I've never had them for long enough to be a problem whereas I would hope that a console would be in my possession for a whole lot longer.

Offline list

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2023, 12:08:51 AM »
On my side I'd simply like a bigger console (10'' is fine) with a display layout I can work on: so that I can choose a bigger and more readable font for the information of my choice, perhaps with the possibility of distributing the data on several pages, so as to have the most detailed and discursive information on page 2 and 3, let's say. In fact something functionally similar to Davis' new console. In short, a small hope compared to Olicat's great expectations.

Offline MatsJ

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2023, 05:19:23 AM »
HP2550 would of course be better in a 10 inch version with the possibility to design our own layout, but olicat's list of other possible changes overwhelms me. I would settle for a small change (probably) possible in current firmware: The ability to step _backwards_ in "Graph" view! Instead of 8 presses forward from Barometer to Rainfall, just 1 simple press back...

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2023, 10:20:08 AM »
It would end up with a seriously hefty price tag if the suggested things were added to the console.

5Ghz is not necessary. It would limit where the console could be placed, as 5Ghz has poor distance reception.

Offline Rocketman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2023, 06:27:28 PM »
Console with all Olicat's feature and my features and 12 inch screen ( I would happy pay twice the amount )

Offline Transporterman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 04:23:26 PM »
I don't know if this is possible but I'd like to have more choice over the screen layout.  For instance, for me the wind speed and direction are most important so I'd like to be able to put those as a larger gauge perhaps in the centre.  Surrounding that, the outdoor temperature and the rain.  I'd be happiest to be able to chose to have sensors of less interest to me on a second 'page'.  If some larger gauge options like this were possible then the current screen size would still be fine for me.   

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2023, 05:51:06 PM »
Hi!

In principle, everything is feasible.
However, I consider the feature of a custom layout on the console to be the most expensive. Because the development alone would cost a lot of money. It might even require more powerful (and thus more expensive) hardware. But also the subsequent support would be hardly manageable for Ecowitt. An infinite number of different layouts with countless dependencies and error possibilities.
A nightmare!

I also believe that this feature is not really needed - so there are only a few users who would be willing to pay for it. And it is not worthwhile for the manufacturer to spend a lot of money on development and support for only a few users (and thus revenue).
We here in the forum are perhaps not the benchmark - we are really interested and we try to get the maximum out of the devices. But for every one of us, there are probably 10 (or more?) users who just want a reliable console to display their weather data. They want to plug the thing in and then see the readings. Nothing more.

But I do see a need for space to display more - hopefully soon to come - sensors. The goal should be to visualise all sensors at a glance. Without having to trudge through any submenus. And the most recent new sensors were placed somewhere on the screen where they just fit.

In this respect, I assume that the space gained by a larger TFT should rather serve as space for additional sensor values.

I like PWT's approach of defining different quadrants in which things defined by the user (such as numerical values or diagrams) are displayed. I could also imagine something like that in the console.
However, setting this up is already an effort that very few users take on themselves. Especially since a GUI for layout generation would have to be created for use on the console.

With PWT, a - within limits - user-defined display is possible. But look at the download figures for PWT: only 100+ users wanted to pay a small fee for it!
So we enthusiasts are unfortunately not really authoritative.
But we are allowed to express wishes ...

Oliver

Offline gszlag

• Forecaster
  • ..have you calibrated your barometer today?
    • Michael's Bay - Manitoulin Island weather
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2023, 08:16:49 AM »
From your point of view, what should the successor model of the HP2551C look like? Size: as before 8" or 10" or 12".
- 8” size is sufficient for me. I use the TV as my main display: (pwsdashboard,WeeWX, Belchertown, CumulusMX)

internal or external sensors?
- this is a big deal for me. There is no upgrade path for internal soldered sensors. Even the new console has outdated sensors that are several years old..2015?! You can move around external sensors – out of sunlight or heating/cooling vents!

Power supply: Micro-USB, USB-C or hollow plug?

- the industry is rapidly moving to USB-C but micro-B and USB-C are delicate things.  My newly purchased official rpi micro-B power supply is shorting out at the plug end after only a couple months.
The old style DC barrel plug is heavier duty..could be made as a right angle plug in a recessed cavity for wall hanging.

From your point of view, should there be the optional possibility of an external antenna?
- the current practical RF range is not much more than 30 meters. An external antenna would be great!

- as much as I like the idea of a battery-free and space saving supercap, it can be a possible failure point. I would rather replace batteries than unsoldering/soldering components on a PCB.

separate USB port (which one - micro-USB/USB-C?) for data access?
- I am old fashioned. USB-A works with everything/anything

built-in motion detector for switching the TFT on/off desired?
- I am happy with the current manual timer arrangement. More components – more things to fix/repair/replace.

Should it be mandatory for the user to be able to change the arrangement of the tiles on the TFT?
- a nice to have but not a must have - the current console is too cluttered. Would like to get rid of the not-so-great-weather forecast and sun position to make other data elements bigger and more visible.

Touch sensors like on the HP2560C or real buttons like on the HP2551C?

- browser based configuration  for isetup/configuration/calibration would be best.

5GHz WIFI support necessary?
- my new mini-PC came with WIFI6 ( backwards compatible) but 6E is here.
- tough call.ISP’s will have to replace all of their modem/routers boxes at some point.
- there is always USB dongles for backwards compatibility.

IFTTT and voice assistant support required?
- I tried IFTTT with the WS-2000. I tried it once.  It works..sort of. Not a priority for me.
- I think home automation might be a “thing” but does not necessarily need to be done in the console.

I am thinking e.g. of the calculation of ET (to be roughly on par with Davis).

-yes.

Improved air pressure calculation
-my favorite topic. There is no Ecowitt gateway that has the ability to calculate QNH/Altimeter/SLP accurately. Davis does a good job on this – even Accurite claims they can do a reasonable calculation of SLP. Time for Fine Offset to catch up/exceed the competition. Replace that 2015 sensor too!

Transmission interval to ecowitt.net is set to 3 minutes, with the various sensors
transmitting values several times within this time period
- I always prefer real-time over delayed time :)

How do you see it? Are there things you would still like to have?
Maybe we can develop our wishful thinking of a new console together here? I'm sure Ecowitt is reading along!

- hope they are!

Assuming all or most of your wishes would be fulfilled. How much money would you be willing to pay for it?
- about $250 CAD ( more than what I paid for the weather station!)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 08:26:30 AM by gszlag »
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000/GW1100
Ecowitt WS68: Anemometer, UV/solar
Ecowitt WH40: Rain gauge
Ecowitt WH57 Lightning sensor
Ecowitt WH32E: Outside T & H sensor
Stratus Rain Gauge (manual)
Raspberry Pi 3B+ (WeeWX/CumulusMX)
Raspberry Pi Zero 2W (WeeWX/MQTT/Belchertown)
---
Barometer wiki: http://meshka.eu/Ecowitt/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=barometer#barometer
---
http://weather.glenns.ca (pwsdashboard - live)
http://weewx.glenns.ca
http://glenns.ca/cumulusmx2/index.htm
---
Uploading to: AWN, ecowitt.net, Weather Underground, PWSweather.com, AWEKAS, Windy.com, WOW

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2023, 03:04:03 PM »
Hi!

There is another round of questions. Anyone who wants to (or who cares to) is welcome to attend.
In post #2 I have entered the status of the last survey.
Thanks!

Oliver

Offline giusCB

• www.turismometeo.it
  • Forecaster
    • TurismoMeteo OdV Webcam Streaming and Weather Stations live
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2023, 03:23:49 AM »
The first thing to absolutely improve is the RF reception of the sensors. In the current versions, it really sucks."
www.turismometeo.it
Webcam and Weather Stations live network from Italy

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2023, 03:30:49 AM »
Hi!

We had already touched on this topic in another thread. I have no serious problems with the original HP2551C (EasyWeather).
Do you mean RF problems with new generation consoles? So EasyWeatherPro devices?
Can you describe these problems in more detail?

Oliver

Online olicat

• Forecaster
    • FOSHKplugin
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2023, 06:36:11 AM »
Hi!

Is anyone else interested in participating in the current poll regarding the wish list for the successor to the HP2551C in post #1?
Specifically, this time it is about the need for a temperature/humidity/air pressure sensor detached from the console (as an option).

Since the last new consoles from Ecowitt that came on the market invariably have integrated sensors, I fear the same for a successor to the HP2551C.
Incidentally, this would probably also apply to devices from Ambient Weather ...
Therefore, we users should at least express our wish unequivocally - and in this respect I consider this form of wish expression to be quite helpful.

The low number of participants speaks either for a non-essential question or for a general lack of interest in this form of opinion-forming.
What do you think?

Oliver

Offline hiljo

• Senior Contributor
    • Weerstation Hattem
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2023, 06:55:55 AM »
The low number of participants speaks either for a non-essential question or for a general lack of interest in this form of opinion-forming.

I didn't see there was a new poll (because it is the same topic). Voted now.
Ecowitt HP2550C v1.9.3
2x GW2000 v3.1.1
WittBoy WS90 v1.3.8
Smart Sensors (WFC01 & AC1100) beta tester
3x WH31, WH32, WH40, WH41, WH57
WN34L, 2x WH51, WN35, WN34D

Dutch translator for Ecowitt.

https://www.weerstationhattem.nl/
  |
  |
  |
  |