Author Topic: All things come to an end, SLOWeather.com and WeatherElement.com  (Read 710 times)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Well, it's been a good run.

Yesterday I was notified by my host that WeatherElement/SLOweather are losing the rack server space in 6 days. At this time, the time is too short for me to attempt to port the websites, including >37 gigabytes of SQL data to a new server, or access to another server rack for the current server.

Therefore, as of May 1, 2020, WeatherElement.com  and SLOWeather.com will no longed be available on-line.

I will keep possession of the physical machine with the hope that I can find a home for it at some point. I built it up from a bare bones Tyan server to have 2 quadcore CPUs, mirrored 1 TB drives, and 26GB RAM.

In a way, it's a minor blessing for SLOweather. The computer at home that serves the weather data, Boltek/NexStorm/WASP2 lightning data, and more up to the server is getting increasingly cranky. It still runs on XP, and runs a of of software and hardware that is no longer supported, won't run on Win10, or I have misplaced the registration info for. Now I don't have to worry about what to do when that box finally fails. :)

And, now 22 years later, a lot of the info I aggregated on SLOweather is more readily available from multiple sources on-line.
Chris

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
Re: All things come to an end, SLOWeather.com and WeatherElement.com
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 02:54:08 PM »
that is a shame

Online Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2020, 04:50:20 PM »
 :-(

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2020, 05:02:57 PM »
Yeah, it does suck. :-(

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2020, 08:24:22 PM »
Thank you all for your support.

I have good news! I just sent this to my WeatherElement email list:

Hello again,

I have good news!

First of all, thank you to everyone for your emails of concern and offers of support to find an alternate host.

This afternoon I received a lifeline offer of hosting the WeatherElement server at Digital West! (The story of this is a typical Central Coast friend-of-a-friend 3 level referral.)

The rent is up from $100/month to $170, and I need to sign a 36 month contract. This is still a significant discount off their regular rate. (More than 50%.)

I have never solicited financial support for WeatherElement before, but, as I approach retirement age of 65 in a couple of months, anything assistance be appreciated.

If a WeatherElement.com station site is important to you, and you would like to contribute and help out with rack rent, you can PayPal to (PM me for my email on WX Forum), or mail a check made out to

(PM me for my postal address on WX Forum.)

And, "Thank you for your support". (Apologies to Frank Bartels and Ed Jaymes. Man, am I showing my age now...)

Peace,

Chris

WooHoo!

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 11:00:22 AM »
AWESOME news Chris....