Author Topic: Voice recognition software, and anything that works, and is free maybe?  (Read 408 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
My 90 year old retired pastor has approached me to help install on his laptop a version of Dragon 13. 

This program is at least a few years old.  I don't think it was cheap at the time, but he never got anyone to help with it.

His handwriting has deteriorated considerably.  His memory is pretty good, and some what dangerously he feels he is running out of time to record his thoughts for family and perhaps others.  This is from someone who wrote 20 minute sermons for decades.

Anyway, a couple thoughts.  Obviously I have some concern about social distancing and all that.  He has a limited budget so getting a more recent version (they are up to 15 by now but don't know the upgrade charge),  so perhaps trying to come up with a newer or more accurate version is hard to determine without actually doing it.

At my previous work I was sort of a guinea pig for new things to do with software, and the version I had been tasked to evaluate was a royal pain in the tush.  There were more errors than I found acceptable, and I was not a 'natural' at telling the program to erase or backspace or whatever.

Before I left work Nuance (who bought Dragon) had some improved software that was great.  So was the price!  Anyway, the ability of their new engine was amazing but then again it ran on servers somewhere with no doubt more power than a laptop to convert sound to words, reliably.  I mention this because it is possible, in my mind, that a company kept the name of the program but it is in actuality something vastly different.

Now that you know where I'm coming from, the question is:
a) For this type of activity (transcribing memoirs) is Dragon still a good choice or is there something better?
b) Anyone who has had experience with the company, is there a reason to get the latest version, or is 13 just about as good as it is now?

c) any other programs that do this type of thing that anyone could recommend from experience?

thanks for any thoughts.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Only one I've used is Dragon but that was years ago. A good mic was a plus.  Here are some other options.

https://blog.hubspot.com/marketing/voice-to-text
Randy

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
I've always used Dragon - top of the class.  The latest version is $150 but I would call and see if they will cut a deal for an upgrade.  There are lots options now, though.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4042244/windows-10-use-dictation
Check this out. If he has MS Word this is a start. However, Dragon is a better way to go. Does he realize he will have to speak punctuation as well... such as "comma" "dash" "period"...etc. Does he realize that talking to type will not turn out a perfectly formatted document ? Just some caveats. Oh as for social distancing computer style....have him go to Ninite.com and install Teamvier. You do the same and you will need to register an account (all free). Then you can remote in and install the software remotely. All he needs is a headset with microphone. I recommend the Logitech wireless headsets. I have been Teamviewering alot of my friends since this all happened and have fixed alot of simple issues.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Thanks for the hints.

I would assume he will have a learning curve.  I know that the high priced stuff we had at work was the same way, and it was good and fast, but far from perfect.  It seems some people's voices register better than others.

We had a tough time getting those using it to proof read their dictations, which was required by their contract and policies, and they kept trying to sneak in the disclaimer, "Recorded with voice recognition software and not verified."  Well, that instills confidence!
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

anything