Author Topic: Do any weather stations have a solution for ice?  (Read 566 times)

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
Do any weather stations have a solution for ice?
« on: January 06, 2024, 01:58:55 PM »
I have a VP2 but it seems like we get more ice and freezing rain a lot more these days do any other weather stations have a solution for it? I know davis used to have a heater but i don't think it works with the new aero cone and you would still have the issue of the tipping spoon being froze.

What has happened to me is the tipping spoon is froze so the rain is not getting measured even though the cone is not frozen.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: Do any weather stations have a solution for ice?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2024, 04:17:58 PM »
Lufft precipitation sensor technology handles rain, snow, sleet, freezing rain & hail

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2024, 07:04:12 PM »
If looking for something that will work with the VP2 I've been running TR-525USW Tipping Bucket Rain Gauge with optional Heater since about 2015. Have never had it fail, and it handles freezing rain just fine. It's the same rain gauge on many AWOS and non ASOS stations. Dependable, but not cheap, especially now I only paid about $600 for it with the heater and running closer to 1k now.  For the Davis anemometer I've got a long telescoping pole I can reach it and give a gentle push. It usually unsticks first time.   
Randy

Offline Tazz 316

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2024, 07:14:47 PM »
I'm total invested in davis using multiple consoles, it looks like they updated there heater to come with the older rain cone to make it work. Seems expensive for what it is.

anything