Author Topic: Repurposing Old iPad for a MyAcurite Viewer  (Read 1461 times)

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
Repurposing Old iPad for a MyAcurite Viewer
« on: July 30, 2019, 08:10:49 AM »
I have an old iPad 2 and I noticed that myacurite will support iOS 9. Instead of buying a second panel I was thinking of framing it and using it for a weather viewer...probalby myacurite due to all of the sensors. In my kitchen, I can snake an AC adapter to it.

Has anyone else fancied up an iPad for this?
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Theo

Re: Repurposing Old iPad for a MyAcurite Viewer
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 11:08:41 PM »
Yup, when I got my Atlas and realized how worthless the indoor console was, I repurposed an old iPad, screen saver turned over and on the AcuRite app.  I use the dark theme and it works great.

BTW:  If anyone in the Nashville area is looking for an AcuRite HD console, I would sell mine cheap, as it really sucks, not online, no USB support, etc. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 11:54:23 PM »
What is the update interval on the app? Does everything in the app fit on the screen at one time?
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 08:02:23 AM »
Yup, when I got my Atlas and realized how worthless the indoor console was, I repurposed an old iPad, screen saver turned over and on the AcuRite app.  I use the dark theme and it works great.

BTW:  If anyone in the Nashville area is looking for an AcuRite HD console, I would sell mine cheap, as it really sucks, not online, no USB support, etc.

Which screen saver app are you using? There does not seem to be a weather lock screen one that works...
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline Theo

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2019, 09:36:06 AM »
What is the update interval on the app? Does everything in the app fit on the screen at one time?

Yes, everything from the Atlas is on the screen (including lightening), you need to scroll down to see additional sensors (I have 6 others)

Offline Theo

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2019, 09:36:57 AM »

Which screen saver app are you using? There does not seem to be a weather lock screen one that works...

I am sorry if I was not clear, I set the screen timeout to OFF, which keeps the screen on all the time.  Turn it on, fire up the app and it just works.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 09:53:08 AM »

Yes, everything from the Atlas is on the screen (including lightening), you need to scroll down to see additional sensors (I have 6 others)

Thank you. What about my other question? What is the difference in update interval between the console and the app? In other words how frequently does the app update and how frequently does the display update? I'm thinking as nice as the app solution for a display may be that you maybe are loosing more instant view of data.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:55:09 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline AlanD96

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 11:07:06 AM »
galfert -

The MyAcurite web page updates once every five MINUTES.   I wouldn't think that would be acceptable as a display replacement.

However the WU PWS dashboard updates every few seconds, as you know.  That's the web page I'd use as an Atlas display replacement. 

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
That's what I was thinking... But 5 minutes!... I thought it was 1 minute. Definitely not a display replacement. Besides WU, using a personal website with one of the many templates available may be better.
Tele-Pole

Offline Theo

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2019, 12:05:50 PM »

Thank you. What about my other question? What is the difference in update interval between the console and the app? In other words how frequently does the app update and how frequently does the display update? I'm thinking as nice as the app solution for a display may be that you maybe are loosing more instant view of data.

Ya, it is every 5 minutes which kind of sucks, but it works well enough.  I also run weewx with Belchertown skin, so I can display that on the iPad as well, I have that one doing 2 minutes and I can move it to 1 minute if I desire.  For general usage, 5 minutes works fine, as if I really want to see up to the minute, I can walk over to the console, or just check weewx.

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 09:50:12 AM »
The old iPad 2 seems to work fine for a MyAcurite viewer. I have been switching between it and the Nightstand app. I did pick up a cheap case for it that would act as a stand so I have another $8 invested.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

Offline radioman61

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2019, 09:03:03 AM »
The WunderStation app looks better in my opinion and updates every few seconds.  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline MacGarage

• SW Ohio
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 10:58:32 AM »
Amazingly, my old iPad 2 is still chugging way...WunderStation is one of my favorite apps for this and when there is poor weather around, I do use it more than the others.
Ecowitt WH2320E
AcuRite Atlas

anything