Author Topic: Editing dodgy yearly rainfall figures  (Read 2113 times)

Offline orion_jb2001

Editing dodgy yearly rainfall figures
« on: October 25, 2019, 10:55:29 PM »
Hi all,

have CumulusMX with the dash board showing 317.5mm yearly rainfall.   The datafile yearly rain total showing 261.8, the same my Davis vantage pro 2 console. There is one rainfall figure for the month, that might be dodgy, but:

Can't seem to get into an exit screen to try and correct.  Easiest option, I think would be to change the dashboard yearly total but I am not sure where the dashboard gets these figures.

Sorry for asking here but absolutely no support from CumulusMX, I think I have upset them by saying this is an example of why Cumulus may be on the way out, which is a pity, I think their dashboard and web uploads are very good, but.............. if there is no support, what is the point.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Re: Editing dodgy yearly rainfall figures
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 02:28:20 AM »
Steve (author of Cumulus) has retired.  The only support is crowd-sourced at this point.

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17131

The support forum has been adopted by users and has been continued at the above link.

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2019, 04:12:19 AM »
There is plenty of information about editing the data files - Indeed you posted on the Cumulus forum that:
Now I am familiar with how to fix this, by looking in data logs for the dodgy rain fall entry, but every thing log was adds up to 261.8 with no apparent dodgy figures.
It would seem that you didn't do it correctly, and now you are saying there maybe a dodgy figure ?

Of course after you had received much help on the forum, your comment was then:
If someone can suggest a different program to publish my weather data. Clearly Cumulus is in its death throes and probably why it was dumped by it's creators.
Hasn't done you any favours as the 'community' has no obligations  :-|
Imagine what you will KNOW tomorrow !

Offline orion_jb2001

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2019, 07:30:51 AM »
There is plenty of information about editing the data files - Indeed you posted on the Cumulus forum that:
Now I am familiar with how to fix this, by looking in data logs for the dodgy rain fall entry, but every thing log was adds up to 261.8 with no apparent dodgy figures.
It would seem that you didn't do it correctly, and now you are saying there maybe a dodgy figure ?

Of course after you had received much help on the forum, your comment was then:
If someone can suggest a different program to publish my weather data. Clearly Cumulus is in its death throes and probably why it was dumped by it's creators.
Hasn't done you any favours as the 'community' has no obligations  :-|

Friend of mcrossley or may be even  you eh??? Well for your information, the community don't apparently know how to fix things that is why I have come here.  Any suggestion on the Cumulus site is about a useful as a bucket with holes in it.  Go away Betlejuice, your post was a waste of 5 sec of my life.

Now there is a figure of rain that didnt"t occur which if removed, might nearly bring it back to the console amount BUT if I removed that figure it would probably reduce the correctly showing rainfall counter which at the moment matches the console.  See now no one in cumulus can answer why if the rainfall counter matches the console yearly rainfall, why the dashboard shows a different amount.  And unlike cumulus 1 which was easy to edit such rainfall, unless you pick it up on the day or the day after, in cumulusmx, I can't see how you edit the data.  Oh and all the other posts re the same issues in correcting rainfall data, must have quietly gone away disappointed. Yes I love the cumulus dashboard, and its web  uploading feature, but as for the community which apparently can't handle the complexities of the cumulus system, I again can see why the creator retired. he created a very complex system, brilliant in its application but a bitch to maintain. 
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 07:41:21 AM by orion_jb2001 »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2019, 09:09:55 AM »
I'm not a Cumulus user but I'd ponder to guess that there is a conversion rounding error that is introducing the discrepancy. Probably somewhere in the stream of data flow inches are being converted to millimeters and in some systems these conversions sometimes happen more than once. Since there are several instances of rain events for a full year these rounding errors add up. I may be wrong, but that is my guess. Perhaps it is an idea and something worth looking into.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 01:56:32 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2019, 10:07:57 AM »
Steve (author of Cumulus) has retired.  The only support is crowd-sourced at this point.

https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17131

The support forum has been adopted by users and has been continued at the above link.

Cumulus users forum is quite active https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/index.php and CumulusMX has ongoing development such as support for Weatherlink Live https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=12908

And for those using Cumulus 1 the year 2020 limit formerly hard coded in some options/features has been amended https://cumulus.hosiene.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=17227&p=135940#p135940

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2019, 02:49:00 PM »
Now that the pleasantries are out of the way ...
Now there is a figure of rain that didnt"t occur ...
Then fix it dear Henry. dear Henry. dear Henry ...

Offline orion_jb2001

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 08:26:53 PM »
Now that the pleasantries are out of the way ...
Then fix it dear Henry. dear Henry. dear Henry ...

Well Henry I would fix it if I can edit the data. Oh dear, nobody wants to stop beating around the bush or say there has been plenty said about it, well everything I have tried that is read didn't work.  You know I really hate smart alex's that are too lazy, if they know the solution, to put finger to keyboard and give the answer. Oh dear they must like forums being inundated with point by point posts as someone  is trying to fix something step by step. Look it up....... grrr if you don't know the answer or are too lazy to post the answer,  please do not reply to this thread.

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2019, 09:40:54 PM »
Now I am familiar with how to fix this, ...

With Cumulus NOT running, edit the file with a decent editor eg. Notepad++, Save it - then re-boot Cumulus.

But of course you've already read all that ...

Offline orion_jb2001

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2019, 11:47:31 PM »
which file, there are a number that are referred to, and I find no reference to any of the files looked at for the dashboard annual rain figure, which is different to the rainfall counter, which is the same as the console this data is being fed.  I am hesitant if I can, to delete that dodgy figure because that then will probably alter the rainfall counter and make this situation worse ??
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 12:27:35 AM by orion_jb2001 »

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2019, 01:23:27 AM »
You intimated that you knew where / when it was.

I can't be certain, not having run a station or software for 8 years or so, but most of Cumulus calculations are done from dayfile.txt

Offline orion_jb2001

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 01:26:43 AM »
Well that answers all that. my you have a lot to learn about cumulus, thanks for your attempt to help, a lot has changed in 8 years  =D> The prosecution rests your honour..........

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 08:03:42 AM »
By your dismissive response I take it you found no errors in dayfile.txt ?

OK. What value do you have for Todays raincount start, either in the editor or today.ini ?

IF that needs changing, then this monthly log file will need editing after month end. (and do the same for the other strange month you say you have)
The prosecution rests your honour..........
The jury's still out, then there's the Court Of Appeal ..

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2019, 11:41:22 AM »
Permission to treat the witness as hostile your honor?
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline orion_jb2001

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2019, 02:17:11 PM »
today ini
Rain]
High=0
HTime=00:00
HourlyHigh=0
HHourlyTime=00:00
Start=262.4
Yesterday=0
LastTip=2019-10-26 16:50
ConsecutiveRainDays=0
ConsecutiveDryDays=1
RG11Today=0

Start exactly as per console. 318.1 showing in dashboard for yearly total, 262.4 showing in data files rainfall couter

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 06:15:57 PM »
As per the FAQ...
Cumulus gets it rainfall total by adding up the total for each day from the day file.
Mark

Offline orion_jb2001

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2019, 04:49:01 AM »
There is the $64000 question, the day file is showing the correct amount of rain, but the dash board yearly rainfall amount is showing something totally different.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2019, 10:11:09 AM »
have CumulusMX with the dash board showing 317.5mm yearly rainfall.   The datafile yearly rain total showing 261.8, the same my Davis vantage pro 2 console.
So is your 261.8 figure from the dayfile obtained by putting it in say Excel and adding up the daily figures? - it's not clear where this number has come from.
Mark

Offline orion_jb2001

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 09:32:19 AM »
I shall have to excel that data to see what the total is.  Probably a better question, where does the cumulsmx total yearly rainfall in the dashboard, come from, because that figure does not match the console or the rainfall counter, which I imagine would source its data from day / month figures  ????  I would think adding up the rainfall figures will show the rainfall counter yearly total correct , which matches the console feeding the data.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 09:39:15 AM by orion_jb2001 »

Offline the beteljuice

• the beteljuice
  • Forecaster
    • test site
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 10:40:09 AM »
Do you have a web site ? - if so a link please.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2019, 12:24:47 PM »
Probably a better question, where does the cumulsmx total yearly rainfall in the dashboard, come from, because that figure does not match the console or the rainfall counter, which I imagine would source its data from day / month figures  ????

As per the FAQ linked above, by totalling up the daily rainfall figures. The counter can be reset or increment wildly during servicing etc.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 12:28:49 PM by mcrossley »
Mark

anything