Author Topic: Station not reporting... yes it is!  (Read 587 times)

Offline madkiwi

Station not reporting... yes it is!
« on: February 24, 2019, 03:15:35 PM »
My station KMTMISSO15 is showing as Not reporting- Last updated: 2/23/2019, 9:47:30 AM
https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMTMISSO15

Discovered this last night, went into WUHU and checked the logs:

Sat Feb 23 09:51:07 2019 > Weather Underground Background Upload: Final Fatal Eror (No more retries) InternetOpenUrl() returned error 0x00002ee7 (12007), ERROR_INTERNET_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED - WSA Socket Error 0x000003e5 (997).

Possibly this happened because I rebooted my router about that time, but reporting to PWS and CWOP was still occurring. Regardless, I stopped and restarted WUHU at 11:33 pm and no further error messages have appeared but it has now been 14 hours and WU is still claiming no reporting.

Any idea about what might be going on?

I have another station (KMTFLORE23) that is showing all good on the station page but on the My PWS page it says it also is not reporting. Presuming there are some issues with that which have nothing to do with the reality of the situation.

madkiwi
WS-2902A WU:KMTFLRE23
WS-2813 WU:KMTMISS015

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Station not reporting... yes it is!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »
You mentioned that you rebooted your router. But what I think needs to be restarted is your station. It sounds like it needs to renew its IP or DNS settings as it is not able to resolve the address for Weather Underground. I understand that the station is working for other services...doesn't mean that there isn't a DNS issue that might get resolved with a restart of that system.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 03:40:41 PM »
In both cases it probably is a DNS issue with the Internet service in that area. Both sites are relatively close and you probably have both sites on the same ISP I would guess right? I recommend changing your router to not use the ISP DNS servers. Instead use Cloud Flare or Google's DNS.

Those are:
Google:

Cloud Flare:

Between those is a toss up. Some people say Google is better others say Cloud Flare is better. They are both great and either one is ten times better than your ISP DNS servers. And it is free to use any of these. They make your Internet faster and more reliable.

So the reason some sites work and others don't could be that those that are working is because the addresses have been cached.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 03:44:13 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline madkiwi

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2019, 09:31:24 PM »
My station doesn't need to renew anything. It is a "dumb" La Crosse WS-2813 that needs my desktop to communicate for it. I use WUHU (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUHU_(software)) and if the PC is online, so is WUHU. So as soon as I restarted WUHU, it was communicating, and the lack of an error message tells me it's getting acknowledged.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2019, 09:56:16 PM »
When I said "your station" I was referring to any hardware/software that comprises the entirety of your setup. If your station requires a PC to report then that PC is part of your station setup. So the computer needs a restart possibly (it will renew IP address and clear and flush DNS entries). If this doesn't resolve the problem it is actually more likely that the problem is DNS related with your ISP. Which is why I said change your network router to use different DNS servers other than the default one automatically assigned by your ISP.  Just because the computer appears to be online and working for other places on the Internet does not mean that there isn't a DNS issue. If you are using ISP's DNS servers you risk exactly this type of wonky Internet behavior. You might notice sometimes that the Internet works to get to some website but it doesn't when you try and get to a different website. This is the same issue. To fix it, you use better DNS servers.

If you don't know how to check or change your router's DNS servers then just let us know what router you have and then someone might be able to guide you.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 09:58:37 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline madkiwi

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2019, 10:41:34 PM »
DNS server already points to Google.

PC is fine. Will search for other issues.

Offline Jstx

• Senior Contributor
  • Baby the Rain Must Fall
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2019, 10:51:47 PM »
My station doesn't need to renew anything. It is a "dumb" La Crosse WS-2813 that needs my desktop to communicate for it. I use WUHU (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WUHU_(software)) and if the PC is online, so is WUHU. So as soon as I restarted WUHU, it was communicating, and the lack of an error message tells me it's getting acknowledged.

I have the exact same PWS, a La Crosse WS-2813U, using the USB dongle on a WIN10Pro PC with WUHU and HeavyWeather; and sending to various PWS websites. You probably know already that all the bits can be balky sometimes.
Pull up your WUHU menu app/box (a "W" on the taskbar), select the "Setup" button on the right, select the "Weather Underground" tab. Then make sure the "Enable Uploads" is checked, "Upload Rapid Fire" if you want, verify the other fields.
Note if the "Uploads" count box has some number in it.
Then you can try unchecking the "Enable Upload" box, wait a bit, then check it again. The "Log" should show these actions.
If necessary, first use the "Stop" button, do the above steps, then hit the "Start" button.
Check the log, and on the Windows "Task Manager" app on "Performance/WiFi, look at your IP traffic and see if there's traffic (kind of moot maybe).
In short, set and reset some of the WUHU stuff, even go into Windows Services and turn WUHU off and on if necessary. Jiggle it around, kick it in the *** a little...
Maybe try a whole effen Win reboot.
Or the prob could be at WU.

Mine is usually bulletproof, but when it does act up it's a PITA. I've never seen WUHU/HW actually have any permanent/severe problems, or lose any data (it will reimage from the console, and even backfill the WU/MADIS/CWOP database).

La Crosse should/could have programmed a few more defensive checks into their systems, although they all seem to be pretty bad at making solid, defensive, selfsorting/checking software from following the issues around here... (I'm from a 'critical, multi-duplicated, redundant, life-death sys enviro', sloppy stuff irritates me).
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:58:45 PM by Jstx »

anything