Author Topic: Tipping Spoon vs Teeter Totter  (Read 1704 times)

Offline stromb0li

Tipping Spoon vs Teeter Totter
« on: July 19, 2021, 09:50:29 PM »
Hey Davis Folks,

I've been away from the weather scene for awhile and noticed that Davis came out with a new spoon assembly quite some time back.  Was curious what everyone's thoughts are on it now that it's been almost a year or so of it being available?  Is it worth the upgrade?

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
Re: Tipping Spoon vs Teeter Totter
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 10:25:33 PM »

What WS do you have?

I've had my Davis system for a year and it came with the Tipping Spoon. Its supposed to be calibrated at the factory and I've been satisfied that it is accurate. My understanding is that the new Tipping Spoon is more accurate.
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline stromb0li

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 10:33:56 PM »
Davis Vantage Pro 2: 6152 (bought the Solar Radiation separately and added that on a month or so later).  I purchased mine back in 2018, so I have the AeroCone, but I don't have the new tipping spoon.  Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed with the station; temperature and solar radiation seems to be spot on, but rain and especially wind seems to be wildly inaccurate based on other observations in the area.  If I can improve the precision/accuracy of either, I'm interested :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 10:35:42 PM by stromb0li »

Offline cbull23

• Student - Meteorology PSU 2022
    • Weather Underground
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 10:52:16 PM »
I like the new tipping spoon for the most part. The tipping bucket always underreported, although I did not think it was that significant until I purchased a CoCoRaHS rain gauge. I noticed that it was sometimes as much as 0.25" too low! The tipping spoon, on the other hand, has been very accurate, except for during heavy rainfall events. I have noticed that it runs around a tenth of an inch too high during heavy rainfall events as compared to my manual gauge. Otherwise, the tipping spoon been within 0.01-0.02" of the 4 inch gauge during steady rainfall events.
My Sites
WU: KNJMONTV22
CWOP: FW2458
PWS: KNJMONTV22
NWS: FW2458

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 04:52:36 PM »
I like the new tipping spoon for the most part. The tipping bucket always underreported, although I did not think it was that significant until I purchased a CoCoRaHS rain gauge. I noticed that it was sometimes as much as 0.25" too low! The tipping spoon, on the other hand, has been very accurate, except for during heavy rainfall events. I have noticed that it runs around a tenth of an inch too high during heavy rainfall events as compared to my manual gauge. Otherwise, the tipping spoon been within 0.01-0.02" of the 4 inch gauge during steady rainfall events.

My experience is the same, sometimes they are both spot on of each other.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2021, 05:18:52 PM »
The Tipping spoon does appear to be more consistent and within spec over the units I have tested. The one downside of the Tipping spoon is the lack of any real practical calibration means.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2021, 06:32:27 PM »
Glad to know this information. My rain unit is about 13 years old and I would guess that one day the reed switch will give up the ghost. 

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 09:01:53 AM »
I've switched mine from tipper to spoon type.  The issue I had is under heavy downpour, my tipper would under report.  New spoon doesn't have that issue.  For me, it's been more consistent.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 11:50:02 AM »
I've switched mine from tipper to spoon type.  The issue I had is under heavy downpour, my tipper would under report.  New spoon doesn't have that issue.  For me, it's been more consistent.

does install information come with the unit?  I just ordered one of those tipping single pans from Scaled Instruments for on the shelf.  Right now my 13 year old unit is working but you know how that works out.  one day it won't and I can then go and grab mine off the shelf and fix the problem.  I also ordered a couple of the foam insert for the iss.  Over time they break down.   I still think Davis could have redesigned that small port opening to something better.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 02:28:13 PM »
I don't remember if there were instructions.  I don't believe so.

Basically there are some snaps at the base of the unit that you need a flat blade driver to press.  Then the unit pops up.  Then it's just a matter of routing the cable the same way.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline stromb0li

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 02:36:04 PM »

does install information come with the unit?  I just ordered one of those tipping single pans from Scaled Instruments for on the shelf.  Right now my 13 year old unit is working but you know how that works out.  one day it won't and I can then go and grab mine off the shelf and fix the problem.  I also ordered a couple of the foam insert for the iss.  Over time they break down.   I still think Davis could have redesigned that small port opening to something better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiipHSWhA-8

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 04:34:12 PM »
I have 3 VP2 stations. 2 have the spoon the third one has the see-saw tipper. I am disappointed with the spoon as the accuracy seems worse especially during heavy rain. I have considered downgrading but haven’t yet. In my view the spoon is not a step forward. At a minimum, you need to clean the spoon more frequently as the debris in the spoon adds weight therefore making any rainfall to over report. And—you cannot easily calibrate the spoon (Davis support does not believe consumers should calibrate the spoon tipper) unlike the see-saw tipper which is relatively easy to calibrate.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 09:44:36 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 04:35:44 PM »
In comparison to my CoCoRaHS I have found the tipping spoon to be very accurate at average rain, but over reporting in heavy downpour.  And certainly better compared to the teeter totter.

I used that Youtube video strombOli posted as well, which was very helpful Tipping Assembly (wxforum.net)

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 05:35:13 PM »

Basically there are some snaps at the base of the unit that you need a flat blade driver to press.  Then the unit pops up.  Then it's just a matter of routing the cable the same way.

There is a video on line somewhere showing how to change out the tipper assembly. One caution is in levering the lugs to release the assembly. And for those with older rain collector bases the new VP2 spoon will fit them all even the WMII however one catch with some of the older rain collector bases is there can also be a screw under the base holding the assembly as well as the plastic clips. So if the tipper assembly doesn't want to let go then check for a screw.     

Offline TraderGary

• Stock Market Wizard
  • Forecaster
  • Amateur Radio W9VJ
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 08:52:42 PM »

There is a video on line somewhere showing how to change out the tipper assembly. One caution is in levering the lugs to release the assembly. And for those with older rain collector bases the new VP2 spoon will fit them all even the WMII however one catch with some of the older rain collector bases is there can also be a screw under the base holding the assembly as well as the plastic clips. So if the tipper assembly doesn't want to let go then check for a screw.   

Stromb0li gave us a link to the video just 3 posts prior to yours. (I gave him a LIKE for that!)
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus 6163 (Wireless) | Davis WeatherLink Live 6100 | Meteobridge Pro
WeatherLink | WundergroundCWOPAWEKASWindy

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2021, 12:44:19 PM »
I'm happy with my 8" Rainwise tipper wired to my VP2. If you're not happy with the Davis you could always go that route. I buy most of my Davis equipment from Ryan at SI so I got the RAINEW 111 from him once he started carrying their line.

Offline stromb0li

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2021, 12:50:32 PM »
I'm happy with my 8" Rainwise tipper wired to my VP2. If you're not happy with the Davis you could always go that route. I buy most of my Davis equipment from Ryan at SI so I got the RAINEW 111 from him once he started carrying their line.

That's kinda hilarious it works perfectly!  Do you have a picture of your setup?  How has the accuracy been with the Rainwise tipper?

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2021, 11:41:02 AM »

That's kinda hilarious it works perfectly!  Do you have a picture of your setup?  How has the accuracy been with the Rainwise tipper?
Mine has been pretty close to the Stratus gauge...a hundredth or two difference here and there, but I have the gauges on opposite sides of the yard too. There's a few existing threads on the topic already in here...

https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=39042.0

Offline azchrisf

• Cobra Weather Dominator Operator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2021, 01:13:22 AM »
I found it was very accurate (within 0.01) of my CoCo gauge during normal rainfall events, but it overreported by 0.2 inches during a recent heavy downpour...so I dunno anymore if the spoon upgrade is really better or worse.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 6163 w/ 8 Transmitters!
Also doing Soil and Leaf 4x
WU: KAZGLEND106 CWOP: FW1398 (F1398) Purpleair: 98793/LAZGLEND8
My setup:
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=41867.0

anything