Author Topic: New VP2 and Humidity troubles  (Read 713 times)

Offline cbull23

• Student - Meteorology PSU 2022
    • Weather Underground
New VP2 and Humidity troubles
« on: November 28, 2018, 10:47:28 PM »
Recently, I have been noticing that the humidity readings been reported by my VP2 seem to be very odd from neighboring stations. Some days it’s like 10% higher or lower than stations that are nearby and if it’s raining outside everyone’s stations are at 99% and mine is reporting 90% to 92%. I even got a humidity value down to 7% when nearby stations and TWC/NWS said about 25%.

It’s weird. Sometimes the readings are accurate with everyone else’s readings but other times it is so far off from being accurate.

I contacted Davis supported and they said to change the Station ID, but I’m not really sure how that would fix my issue. Should I still try their solution or is there something else that can be done to resolve my issue? I’ve had my Vantage Pro 2 since March 2018 so I shouldn’t be having any faulty sensors yet.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 11:00:59 PM by chrispyt2 »
My Sites
WU: KNJMONTV22
CWOP: FW2458
PWS: KNJMONTV22
NWS: FW2458

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
Re: New VP2 and Humidity troubles
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2018, 12:27:47 AM »
Recently, I have been noticing that the humidity readings been reported by my VP2 seem to be very odd from neighboring stations. Some days it’s like 10% higher or lower than stations that are nearby and if it’s raining outside everyone’s stations are at 99% and mine is reporting 90% to 92%. I even got a humidity value down to 7% when nearby stations and TWC/NWS said about 25%.

It’s weird. Sometimes the readings are accurate with everyone else’s readings but other times it is so far off from being accurate.

I contacted Davis supported and they said to change the Station ID, but I’m not really sure how that would fix my issue. Should I still try their solution or is there something else that can be done to resolve my issue? I’ve had my Vantage Pro 2 since March 2018 so I shouldn’t be having any faulty sensors yet.
Changing Station ID is done to circumvent possibility of somebody nearby operating their VP2 on the same ID as yours...Yes, try it, to verify if that is what's causing your weird problems.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 12:30:24 AM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline cbull23

• Weather Underground
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 03:15:42 PM »
Well, I changed my station ID even though the other Vantage Pro2 near my location was not picked up by my console. An analysis of my data shows that my readings for dewpoint and humidity are not within an acceptable value, but the analysis seems to be very wrong or the stations nearby are having serious issues.

Starting to think the other stations in my town are becoming troublesome. The dewpoint and humidity show not be acting like that as shown on the analysis images. The accuracy of my station seems to have improved, but I know the issues weren't coming from an interfering station because my console was not picking any other stations up while in setup mode.

My Sites

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 03:47:14 PM »

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 04:04:44 PM »
Well, I changed my station ID even though the other Vantage Pro2 near my location was not picked up by my console. An analysis of my data shows that my readings for dewpoint and humidity are not within an acceptable value, but the analysis seems to be very wrong or the stations nearby are having serious issues.

Starting to think the other stations in my town are becoming troublesome. The dewpoint and humidity show not be acting like that as shown on the analysis images. The accuracy of my station seems to have improved, but I know the issues weren't coming from an interfering station because my console was not picking any other stations up while in setup mode.

Those jagged red spikes come from the NOAA MADIS analysis program...something tried to "divide-by-zero" somewhere. Sudden 'jumps' in the analysis level are often caused by MADIS adjusting its "time-synch" between the multiple stations it is analyzing...not everybody keeps their computer/station clocks in-synch with WWV.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 04:08:12 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline cbull23

• Weather Underground
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 11:03:50 PM »
Probably should buy a hygrometer to see what’s really going on. Stations around me are all over the place, although a lot are showing mid-to-upper 70s.

Does anyone recommend any inexpensive hygrometers that could help me confirm the readings at my location? Either my house has a really strange climate or the sensor is wack.
My Sites

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 11:27:18 PM »
Stations around me are all over the place, although a lot are showing mid-to-upper 70s.
Forget the humidity, it's temperature dependent. As I look now at the eleven stations around you with the link I sent, all but one has a dew point of 33 or 34F, and that one's only at 31F. How much better comparison do you need?

anything