Author Topic: Need a station for Miami area  (Read 969 times)

Offline Zimm

Need a station for Miami area
« on: October 22, 2018, 09:46:25 AM »
My acurite pro 5 in 1 needs to be replaced.  The original internet bridge has failed. Now the lcd display died after the kids knocked it off a table. 

I really like the lightening detection here in Miami. I had 1280 strikes once during a major storm.

I was going to get a new atlas with add on lightening but I was thinking about a more reliable brand?  Davis is recommended but the screen is ancient and I’d rather have wireless to the internet.  My router is not where I want to have the display.

Ambient weather?

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Need a station for Miami area
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2018, 10:30:48 AM »
Welcome to the forum.

You have pretty much summed up the current situation. There is no best choice recommendation without compromise. You'll have to decide what is most important for you.

The Davis console can become wireless with either 3rd party options which are the WiFi logger or the Meteobridge Nano (WeatherBridge WiFi). Or the Davis console can also stay standalone without a logger where you want it to be seen, and then add a logger to a Davis Envoy in the room with your router.

You can also do lighting separately via stand alone options.

Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2018, 10:31:37 AM »
Davis is recommended but the screen is ancient and I’d rather have wireless to the internet.  My router is not where I want to have the display.
WiFiLogger http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=34312.0 is alternate to WeatherlinkIP and provides wireless from console to router.

However Davis does not have lightning detection.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Zimm

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 12:54:08 PM »
After reading all the ambient weather and acurite forums and amazon reviews, I ordered a Davis Vantage Vue and the weather link IP.  I'll I've without lightening detection and keep the screen near the router, which is next to my main television.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2018, 01:07:53 PM »
The WiFiLogger instead of WeatherlinkIP is a good option and is available from Ryan in Gainsville, FL and also gives WeatherlinkIP features including weatherlink.com v.2

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Zimm

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 01:10:12 PM »
Is there a link on where to get the wifi logger?  I'm a bit apprehensive about a homemade wifi chip on my network for security  reasons.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2018, 01:18:53 PM »
Ryan at Scaled Instruments  https://www.scaledinstruments.com/contact-us/

I am using WiFiLogger on a second Vue console.

Enjoy,
Paul