Author Topic: a little confused on how/when WeatherLink software uploads data  (Read 1511 times)

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
Ok, I need some assistance understanding the VPro2 weather station-->VPro2 console-->WeatherLink data logger-->laptop with WeatherLink Windows software-->weather services (CWOP, WU, WLink).

I have a WeatherLink site called JWJordans (https://www.weatherlink.com/bulletin/6575affd-c9e4-4ce1-8b29-16094116c59b), a CWOP (FW2392 http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=FW2392), and WeatherUnderground (https://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=KMDNEWWI3#history).

For WeatherUnderground, I have it configured under the WeatherLink software file menu for every 5 minutes.  It appears to work fine.  It is not configured under my WeatherLink.com site menu.

For CWOP, I have it configured on the WeatherLink.com site menu.  It is not configured under the Windows software.

For WeatherLink data itself, I'm confused.  The software is on all the time.  I think I've noticed two levels of "activity" where the laptop sort of freezes, presumably because an upload is occurring.  If I close the software and reopen it, no information is displayed in the software window but the title bar indicates "WeatherLink Network Upload:ON".  It's not clear how often it uploads, or if it's background, but I think this has less impact on freezing the system.  If I select the summary window, however, it seems to slow down the system a lot, sometimes making it unusable for routine web surfing or editing a document.  Am I correct?  Does the software require me to set up a Profile to better manage the data uploads from my weather system to the WeatherLink network?

Does all that make sense?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 09:06:04 AM by boss281 »
Weather Underground PWS KMDNEWWI3

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
Re: a little confused on how/when WeatherLink software uploads data
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
Are you talking about the Summary Data from WL.com?

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 10:14:06 AM »
Yes.  When I first load the software, no data is displayed but the title bar indicates upload is on (how often by default???).

When I load the summary data display ("Bulletin"), the system seems to go in to freeze mode often.

It's not clear if this is just for displaying near realtime data, or data is getting uploaded more often.

I don't use this data display in the software (I prefer the WeatherLink.com display), but it's not clear if that MUST be loaded for uploads.  Sorry, I just can't seem to grok this stuff...

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 10:47:32 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]  [ You are not allowed to view attachments ] Greetings, what you are experiencing is the gathering of station data and uploading. The whole freezing action is why I initially set up virtual desktops in Win 7 and Win 10. I finally got a second computer where the interruptions were of no consequence.  I gave WU task up to WL.com 2 and I am still waiting to hear if WL.com 2 does a good enough job of uploading to CWOP's. If it does I will give that job to WL.com 2 as well. The basic problem seems to be that WL.exe PC was made to compatible on the least capable computer I am talking early Win XP, and does not play well unless it is CPU focused (nothing background - it wants to be P1 on time every time). BTW no updates are coming to WL.exe PC.

If you want to not display the bulletin in hopes of fewer PC interruptions read the other forum post about that (some people were under the impression that wind gust data would be under reported). Other people can give input here but I believe the station downloads and bulletin display are not entirely related and therefore will not necessarily affect your frequency of "freezing".

If the freezing is the issue you are trying to resolve then I would IMHO do one of two things 1) Use Win7/10 and create a virtual desktop solely for WL.exe (PC) or 2) Put WL.exe (PC) one a dedicated machine and RDP into it... There are lots of posts on that topic as well - Auto restart with WL Auto-start etc., raspberry machines etc...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 10:50:57 AM by kaymann »

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 10:50:27 AM »
Yeah it can get confusing when using WL for the first time.
I have used WL for many years and have never had the Bulletin screen slow down the system. I myself don't use it as I also run Cumulus software at the same time and use it's live screen to view current data but that's just a matter of preference.
Unfortunately WL is just old software that for whatever reason Davis has decided not to update.
The freezing you mentioned is part of this. WL will freeze when it downloads data from the console. This is determined by your archive interval. So if you have it set for 10 minutes, at that point it will freeze for a few seconds.
You also have it set to upload to WU. This will cause it to freeze. Finally you have the module uploading to WL.com which will also cause it to freeze. So that's 3 times the software will lock up.
The Weatherlink Network Upload: ON noticed just lets you know you have it set to on. I'm pretty sure it uploads data every 15 minutes.
Finally no you do not have to set up an internet profile to send data to WL.com. All the info is there in Version 6.0.3. You just needed a device ID and key which you already have and the software does the rest.

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 10:57:39 AM »
Okayyy, then, I'm starting to get it.

Now, my goals are to have this upload to CWOP and WeatherUnderground as priorities, as OFTEN as the system will allow. I think WeatherUnderground has a 6 minute or so delta between readings, so every 5 minutes should be fine.  If I use the WeatherLink.com site to do this, it's every 15 minutes (RIGHT???).  My upload to WeatherLink is just a courtesy as I really don't use the info.

Some options: forget WLink all together and use Cumulus to push out to WU, CWOP and I suppose PWS is supported as well.  Will that work?  Does Cumulus have the same CPU hit????  Does weatherlink have to run on the PC at the same time?

The other option is to use the Ambient Weather version of the Meteobridge (I got it really cheap) and just hook that access point up to the console and push data over WiFi to my Comcast modem/router.  That seems a bit daunting so I'd rather try the Cumulus option if the CPU hit is minimal...

Thanks all for responding and helping me understand how it all works.

Online PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 11:12:46 AM »
Some options: forget WLink all together and use Cumulus to push out to WU, CWOP and I suppose PWS is supported as well.  Will that work?  Does Cumulus have the same CPU hit????  Does weatherlink have to run on the PC at the same time?
I have found that Cumulus does not use a lot of resources and is one of the most stable programs that I run, and I run a few ;) and you do not have to run Weatherlink along with Cumulus.  To me it is quite easy to feed to my website and also to the common web templates.

Cumulus does uploads to WU, CWOP, PWS, WB (likely I should drop this one), WOW, AWEKAS all at the interval I want, and also run a little program to upload to Weathercloud.  Now that I got Virtual VP running again I can run Cumulus and also Weatherlink at the same time whenever I want.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline boss281

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2018, 12:12:08 PM »
Ok, I have Cumulus up and running and sending data to Weather Underground successfully.  However, CWOP doesn't appear to be working so I'll wander over to that subforum now.  Thanks for your help.

Once last WeatherLink question: since I won't be running the software, is it possible to let it be off weekly, then once a week, push the weekly archive up manually?  How can I do that if at all possible?  Thanks again.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 12:13:22 PM »
If you go with Cumulus then there will no upload to WL.com as only the WL software supports that at this time.
Cumulus does support CWOP so you can configure it from the software. Also Cumulus uploads to WU with Rapid Fire updates at every 2.5 seconds if you wish. Or you can go with what ever interval you want.
Yes you can run WL once a week to download the data.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 12:14:53 PM by ocala »

anything