Author Topic: WXtoIMG  (Read 15156 times)

Offline ChristopherD

WXtoIMG
« on: February 16, 2017, 05:07:47 PM »
Hello, I am really interested in starting into the hobby of obtaining weather satellite images . I would like to obtain the upgraded WXToImg program , but the web page does not seem to work correctly. I have tried older versions of Windows to know avail. I do not mind paying for a copy as I do want to support the writer of the program. Is there a way to obtain an upgraded or professional copy ??  I thought my 2nd  downloaded copy was corrupted , as I was able to see the next Sat pass info and time  at the bottom bar , after I downloaded the beta version it is gone. I would like to purchase the most recent copy for my hoppy. If it is not supported is there a better or similar alternative?
Thanks
KF7SPH
(Christopher)

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: WXtoIMG
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 05:10:51 PM »
Hmmm... I just downloaded the Windows 2.10.11 and a Linux version no probs.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ChristopherD

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 07:34:03 PM »
Downloading the first ptrogram and the beta was fine . Can u upgrade it?

Offline ChristopherD

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 05:20:03 PM »
Hello, still looking for anyone who can give me some guidance regarding the WXtoImg program upgrade. I can download and run the freeware version , including the Beta. I am unable to upgrade the standard version to have full benefit of the program. When I go to the upgrade screen I am directed to, it only displays the usual headerswith no links to pay for the program or upgrade. Any attempts to upgrade on the program itself , I receive an "Error: Invalid registration Name or Key" message. There does not seem to be a link anywhere to request support on the website. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline halifax

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 07:05:49 PM »
I am a long-time user who paid for the pro version many years ago. Today, the program started acting oddly and I ran into the same problem with a re-install and trying to use the upgrade keys. Neither my original paid key nor the free keys for Standard and Professional versions will work and I get the same Error: Invalid Reg Name or Key" message. Grrr....
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.

Offline ChristopherD

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 07:40:51 PM »
Hi , ,,Thanks for the response. I have been pulling my hair out on this. Was looking forward to starting on this hobby the last few weeks . Is there a webmaster we can contact? I would like to buy the full version . I am considering options if this program  is not supported anymore .   The website lists the 2017 upgrade(very frustrating) . What is a good alternative to this program ? Thank u again for the response.

Offline halifax

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 08:18:52 PM »
Hi Christopher, I cannot figure out how to contact the author. Will keep trying.
As for alternatives, this is the best program. Until we get resolution, we're both stuck using the freeware version. Perhaps more people will check in here.
Let me know if you find anything new.
Davis VP2+, NOAA POES Rx Station, SkyCam, Sandy Brook BrookCam. WU KCTCOLEB1. CWOP N1QVE. CoCoRaHS CT-LT-15. PurpleAir AQM Colebrook, CT.

Offline halifax

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 08:20:05 PM »
Facebook page is showing concerned users:

https://www.facebook.com/WXtoImg-107091919358645/

Offline ChristopherD

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 08:56:25 PM »
Ok , thanks again . I will keep looking as well . Considered writing a letter  . Just so frustrating and such a letdown . I will post if I can get anything as well.

Offline halifax

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2017, 09:38:41 PM »
Was able to dig this up:

Craig Thomas ANDERSON    156 Victoria Street West, Auckland , New Zealand

His company, Abstract Technologies, folded in 2008

http://www.companiesnz.com/company/642431/abstract-technologies-new-zealand-limited

Offline ChristopherD

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2017, 09:53:43 PM »
I wonder who placed the 2017 upgrade on the wx website ?!?

Offline halifax

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 10:01:45 PM »
Had to be Craig. I am concerned that he may have placed it in the public domain as freeware and doesn't want to support it beyond his tinkering with it. I can understand that and it's not uncommon to run into such situations anymore. Recently had it with iOnRoad on the Apple store - a great heads-up display and precision driving program that's now dead and he's out. Hopefully this isn't the case with WXtoImg. It's a killer program.

Offline ChristopherD

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 10:58:54 PM »
Is there a good alternative to this program?

Offline halifax

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 06:54:58 PM »
Not really. But see this for a temporary workaround:

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/GEO-Subscribers/conversations/topics/18317

Offline ChristopherD

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 08:18:31 PM »
Interesting . Would feel better if I could just pay the man and have a legit registered program.😕

Offline halifax

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2017, 09:01:02 PM »
People are trying to contact him. I sent him an email, too, using the address on my 2012 registration.

I assume that you've seen this:

http://www.geo-web.org.uk/soft.php

Offline ChristopherD

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 10:10:25 PM »
Yes, thanks . I have been reviewing my options . I would like a program I can count on support for in the future. Have not made any decisions yet....

Offline myles

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 04:32:43 PM »
I use WXtoImg. Looking into the rego file I found the callsign EA3BLQ & this man has passed away.
http://www.qsl.net/ea3blq/angles.htm

If you look under "METEO" link there, you'll see WXtoIMG images and a mention of Craig Anderson.
True, that company he worked at did close in NZ.

Have found a Craig Anderson in NZ and have sent an email to see if he is the creator. 24/2/17
My version has reverted back to freeware and I can't re register it !

Ham radio operators use these programs with software radio defined dongles (sdr) so you may be able to run your satellite receiver directly into one of them. I use an APT-06

http://www.rtl-sdr.com/big-list-rtl-sdr-supported-software/

This nice guy on Ebay sells the NOAA antennas cheap and work excellent.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/stanislavpalo130/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

If I find out anymore, will let you guys know.

Offline ChristopherD

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 08:25:44 PM »
Thanks for your help!

Offline myles

« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 02:20:50 PM »
"The published universal keys turned out to be valid for 2016 only. The newly published 2017 keys do not work and I hope that the problem will be corrected soon. "

"Other solution for the old 2016 key is to set the computer's date back to 2016, start WXtoIMG and then set it back to 2017.  "

"there is other software available, like SatSignal ad GeoSatSignal from David Taylor, but I am not familiar with these and still believe that WxtoImg is the best solution."

These are quotes from a satellite receiver manufacturer 8 Mar 2017.

Offline ChristopherD

« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »
Thanks for your help. If I change my computer dates, can I still buy the upgrade to the complete prigram ?

Offline myles

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2017, 03:20:55 PM »
No. You cant buy the program. I have been unsuccessful at contacting Craig Anderson. The best thing is to wait because the manufacturer of my satellite receiver APT-06 may have to write their own software or take the program over. I've tried original serials from my cd and given privilidged ones but they no longer work ha !

I'll suggest to Wraase.com that they look at making their own version, see what they say, will post.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2017, 03:27:26 PM »
Orphaned software... gotta love it.  Not.  You could try this if is just a key date expiry. http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/run_as_date.html
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline halifax

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2017, 05:13:50 PM »
If anyone tries this approach (RunAsDate), please post your results here. Thanks for the link.

Offline myles

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2017, 05:50:04 PM »
Spent about an hour with previous year(s) but no change. Tried administrator mode(s) . No go here on Win 10

anything