Author Topic: $125 Million Dollar Lawsuit against The Weather Channel  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
$125 Million Dollar Lawsuit against The Weather Channel
« on: March 27, 2019, 11:11:42 AM »
Link to story is here.

GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
Re: $125 Million Dollar Lawsuit against The Weather Channel
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 02:25:17 PM »
"Local police reported that the pair allegedly drove through a stop sign, crashing into 25-year-old Corbin Jaeger, a storm watcher spotter with the National Weather Service. All three men were killed.

Now, lawyers for Jaeger's mother, Karen Di Piazza, have filed a federal lawsuit seeking $125 million from The Weather Channel, the estates of Williamson and Yarnall, and others, for Jaeger's wrongful death.

The suit alleges that Williamson and Yarnall "had a history of reckless driving when storm chasing and when filming [The Weather Channel's] television programming.""

"The channel had been warned by other chasers that the men's driving "put others at risk."

The lawsuit cited text messages between a storm chaser and one of the show's producers. The unnamed chaser warned the producer that Williamson's driving was of concern."

https://www.npr.org/2019/03/27/707145925/the-weather-channel-sued-for-125-million-over-death-in-storm-chase-collision

Despite the well known fact that I'd like them 'off the air' so to speak, I'm not exactly sure how TWC is culpable here.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 02:28:13 PM »
Also, since when are 'storm watcher spotters' WITH the NWS?  That implies they are employees.  Was this guy an NWS employee?  Or was he someone who had attended free spotter classes?

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 02:39:14 PM »
Their vehicle had "The Weather Channel" logo on both sides, plus being "egged on" by the producers in Atlanta, plus TWC knowing of their reckless driving, and yet not doing anything about it, and more as stated by the lawsuit, so TWC is very culpable in this.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 03:02:23 PM »
Also, since when are 'storm watcher spotters' WITH the NWS?  That implies they are employees.  Was this guy an NWS employee?  Or was he someone who had attended free spotter classes?
Even if the spotter was employed by the NWS, no chance he chased in an official capacity, off duty time only. It's likely someone who's been to spotter class.

Offline SoMDWx

• Forecaster
    • Southern Maryland Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 03:21:11 PM »
This was bound to happen sooner or later.....

It will be very interesting to see the outcome of this case. Would not be surprised to see the full award go to this family in light of the complaints the locals have with "some" the storm chasers clogging the roads and drive recklessly.

There has been a big push by local officials to clamp down on this activity and this may be the kick that starts the whole thing rolling down the long, slippery slope.....

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 04:06:29 PM »
I've long said that 'chasing' of this type should not be tolerated.  NWS should not be accepting reports from them and media should not be using them in any way.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 04:55:41 PM »
I guess a jury will decide if WC was encouraging this type of behavior. Without hearing the evidence and rebuttal can't say how I would go if a juror. I can say it would need to be rather strong evidence like the WC was 100% aware of the behavior and did nothing to discourage it.
Randy

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 05:14:27 PM »
I've long said that 'chasing' of this type should not be tolerated.  NWS should not be accepting reports from them and media should not be using them in any way.
As tragic as this is, I think there's no doubt that severe storm chasers save lives by reporting that which hasn't yet already been reported. As anything in life, there will always be irresponsible dumbass's that blemish what otherwise can be a helpful tool. But yes, with the technology now making it soooo easy to film anything, chasers are everywhere, and most are certainly untrained at that.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 06:46:30 PM »
and most are certainly untrained at that.

And that's the key.  To me part of that training is knowing the area, the roads and the weather patterns.  Local people know those things.  They can take the spotter classes and report to their local WFO.  The loons running willy nilly across the country trying to get the money shot and an interview on TWC are the ones that need to be discouraged.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 07:56:30 PM »
Anyone on this thread chased and seen the cluster F it can become in some areas/locales? I mean emergency services are even affected by the crowds, many of whom appear to be less than scientific in their pursuit.

My son offered me this quote about the tragic accident in TX: "As Chuck Doswell said it best, back in 1998 even, 'the number one danger of storm chasing is the road.  Followed by lightning.  The tornado itself is seldom the largest risk.' "

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 08:39:29 PM »
I guess a jury will decide if WC was encouraging this type of behavior. Without hearing the evidence and rebuttal can't say how I would go if a juror. I can say it would need to be rather strong evidence like the WC was 100% aware of the behavior and did nothing to discourage it.
Being on a jury is tough. You're supposed to put aside your personal feelings and rule on the evidence. In a criminal trial it's evidence "beyond a reasonable doubt", not beyond "all shadow of doubt" as the prosecutor in the trail I was a juror on kept pointing out. For civil trials like this it's a, "preponderance of the evidence" which is a much lower standard. My guess is that this will be settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.   

Anyone on this thread chased and seen the cluster F it can become in some areas/locales? I mean emergency services are even affected by the crowds, many of whom appear to be less than scientific in their pursuit.

Where I live tornadoes are extremely rare, almost unheard of. I've always wanted to see one (from a safe distance) and even considered "storm chasing" years ago, long before there was such a thing as "Reality TV" or the TWC. Not anymore, just too many crazies out there...

Offline graculus

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 09:56:39 PM »

I don't think it even needs WC to have been aware of the reckless behavior. If it's decided that those driving were at fault for the accident, and that they were driving on behalf of WC, then WC is on the hook. Same as if it was a Walmart truck, like the Tracy Morgan case. If it's proven that WC were aware of the reckless behavior then that would figure into the amount awarded.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2019, 06:41:26 PM »
If they were driving a company vehicle and were on company time then TWC is certainly culpable. As mentioned above if a Walmart driver runs a traffic light and kills someone then they would be also.
But, we are only hearing one side of this story.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

anything