Author Topic: Quality Checking on GladStoneFamily Analysis Wrong? - (MADIS is working on it!)  (Read 2785 times)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
It's not so much that I want to use the altimeter measurement but supposedly that is what CWOP looks for and not an actual SLP.
I personally would be fine using whichever mode NWS uses.  I don't think I can ever achieve a thumbs up all the way around here due to being in a hollow. Things change at a totally different rate here LOL!
Meteorologists as a rule use SLP, but for pubic consumption, it's the altimeter as just about all data comes from airports.

Quit caring about the "thumbs up" BS. Even when the site is working correctly, you can bet some of your neighbors data is not.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
Yes,
The closest one to my location is definitely clouding the stream
https://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/DY006  this seems even worse than me LOL!
Seriously all I'm after is an accurate indication of conditions locally.  With my location as it is a good data set that matches what the "low landers" systems are generating is not likely to happen.  Just have to make sure mine is accurate for it's location

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
Just have to make sure mine is accurate for it's location
=D> No one knows your data better than you do.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
I had a problem with MDOT (Michigan) nearby weather station upsetting my barometer readings. In addition to whatever parameter the fed to CWOP being a constant value, they had absolute pressure, not altimeter or SLP. The MADIS folks removed them from the QC checks and that fixed it. MDOT was uncooperative in the issue and said that their supplier said that it was working fine.

My Dad was asking the MDOT (worker or contractor) that was working on the camera installation near him. Dad asked how he could see the data online. The guy told him that he couldn't view it and it was just for MDOT use. (State Secret?)

I checked the other camera sites and sure enough none of these roadside stations are reporting any more and have a message: No weather information is available at this time.

I wonder if they removed this partially due to complaints about it upsetting MADIS data.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
Do you know what brand of weather monitoring equipment MDOT is using?

Rich K.

I had a problem with MDOT (Michigan) nearby weather station upsetting my barometer readings. In addition to whatever parameter the fed to CWOP being a constant value, they had absolute pressure, not altimeter or SLP. The MADIS folks removed them from the QC checks and that fixed it. MDOT was uncooperative in the issue and said that their supplier said that it was working fine.

My Dad was asking the MDOT (worker or contractor) that was working on the camera installation near him. Dad asked how he could see the data online. The guy told him that he couldn't view it and it was just for MDOT use. (State Secret?)

I checked the other camera sites and sure enough none of these roadside stations are reporting any more and have a message: No weather information is available at this time.

I wonder if they removed this partially due to complaints about it upsetting MADIS data.

Greg H.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
I don't know for certain, but from the appearance of the ultrasonic anemometer, I am thinking at least some of it is Vaisala.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline K5GHS

• K5GHS's Website
I just re-signed up for CWOP as a Ham operator here in Texas. 

I had been on the program ~12 years ago or so in California (Stockton) but the new station I got didn't support it.  I had gremlins too with my older station, though that was siting in a way, I had a small backyard and did the best I could with location (having to keep in mind exposures, and putting it on the fenceline would mean it being swiped in days).  Barometer was easy to figure out and recalibrate, but in the summer months I had temp issues, and it took some fine tuning to get them adjusted to where they wouldn't go nuts between 1-3pm.  The heavyweather application helped out with that, as well as a few "neighbor" stations who helped me configure it to where I could deduct a few degrees in those particular hours, with a "rolling ramp" on it where it would slowly apply, peak at the value in the middle, and then roll off as it got to the end of the time span.

NWS locally (I believe my contact was in Sacramento) was cool with it.  They just let me know by email that they seemed a bit off, and I worked on it.  They had no issues with me getting stuff fixed and calibrated.  Once I got it corrected it was fine, and I had no further issues.  But some of the "outside" analysis never liked me.

My thinking was simply that if NWS was okay with it and it was within their "acceptable paramaters" I wasn't worried about it.  I'll be doing the same this time and making sure I'm giving good data (my site is much better where I am now!) but I'm not going to nitpick if I'm off by a few percent of the airport across town or whoever is my neighbor on CWOP.  If its way off, sure I'll be after it, and I do have other stations and gear to "cross check" the one transmitting, but after being paranoid at first, I found it was better to monitor it, correct to stay within the mean, but realize also that my weather situation was a little different than the guy two blocks over (yard 4X as big, trees, able to put a pole right in the middle of it at 30 feet plus...). 

It will be interesting to see what results I get.  But I guess the way I look at it is this:  I emailed the NWS to sign up, they will be the ones I will listen to if something is off.  Will I keep an eye on my stuff?  Sure.  Will I run other analysis on it?  Sure.  But I'll take it with a grain of salt and if something is off, I'll see why before I start messing with it.  Part of the reason they want the data from a wide area is because of fluctuations, but some of those are correct and some are not.

See what 12+ years of work on it will do to it when I start checking again.  I missed being on the program, but at the time I didn't have the money to outlay to get a station where I could possibly upload to it again.  I don't have a problem sharing the data and such and doing so with some level of QC, but I'm not going to freak out if some website "analyzes" my stuff and says I'm way off when I know I'm not either. 

Going to be interesting though...that's for sure.
Joshua
K5GHS
http://www.k5ghs.radio

Collin County, TX  Grid: EM13qd  CWOP: AV590
Skywarn Repeaters:  147.180 Primary 146.740 Secondary
100% Emergency Powered Ham Radio Station (540AH Batteries/Solar Rechargeable)
Ambient Weather WS-2000
Ecowitt GW1000

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
I'm not going to freak out if some website "analyzes" my stuff and says I'm way off when I know I'm not either. 
Good, waaay too easy to fall down that rabbit hole chasing after bad data. No one knows your PWS better than you do.