Author Topic: Fall/Winter 2023-24  (Read 8146 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Fall/Winter 2023-24
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2024, 05:33:35 PM »
Something we don't see every winter is below zero forecast highs. That would be -19c and -29c for those using Celsius.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2024, 05:35:06 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2024, 05:47:08 PM »
Along with -45f windchill. I get to go measure any snowfall, and have no one to draw the short straw with.    :sad:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2024, 06:36:25 PM »
Man you get some crazy weather in Northern Nebraska.  I would say more extreme than here.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline N0NB

• Amateur weather observer
  • Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2024, 08:29:28 AM »
Yeah, they're going to share a bit of it with us down south.  Uggh! 

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2024, 08:42:38 AM »
Sounds like the National New Hype Machine was in full force.
They made it look and feel like armageddon

600,000 without power. (minnesota has 300k in one storm in June)
Floods, wind, snow, cats and dogs sleeping together.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2024, 12:29:16 PM »
Iowa got over a foot of snow, many rural districts are closed.  Then there is more snow for Thursday into Friday 5 to 8 on top of this.  My guage said 8 inches , but it is the cold blast we get this weekend.    YET  the national media goes for the East coast rather than what we have here. 
I 80 was shut down from Des Moines to the Illinois border, no mention on the national anything news. 

The cold coming again not much mention, Des Moines is to be colder than Minneapolis.   BUT  we can use the moisture ME?  retired and inside, went out and cleaned off the solar panel and wind unit on the ISS yesterday.  Quite a trek through the snow, got the satellite dish cleaned off.

BUT again, the national news and national weather whine about two snow flakes out east

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2024, 12:45:26 PM »
Iowa got over a foot of snow, many rural districts are closed.  Then there is more snow for Thursday into Friday 5 to 8 on top of this.  My guage said 8 inches , but it is the cold blast we get this weekend.    YET  the national media goes for the East coast rather than what we have here. 
I 80 was shut down from Des Moines to the Illinois border, no mention on the national anything news. 

The cold coming again not much mention, Des Moines is to be colder than Minneapolis.   BUT  we can use the moisture ME?  retired and inside, went out and cleaned off the solar panel and wind unit on the ISS yesterday.  Quite a trek through the snow, got the satellite dish cleaned off.

BUT again, the national news and national weather whine about two snow flakes out east
Ignore them! They're all about eyeballs and clicks, so they will cater to 'millions' rather than 'thousands' of people affected by the weather. Just be thankful you live in a less populated area of the country.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2024, 12:50:16 PM »

Ignore them! They're all about eyeballs and clicks, so they will cater to 'millions' rather than 'thousands' of people affected by the weather. Just be thankful you live in a less populated area of the country.
[/quote]Then why do we have all of these Republicans running for office, showing up here. One of them said ignore the safety warnings, get out and caucus.   

Most of the 206 road accidents reported were truckers who ignore or didn't know about the weather conditions, so they up the load in the ditch?

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2024, 05:25:44 PM »
Ummm, called the Iowa Caucus. Kinda figured you'd know that. The adults should be able to figure out whether the weather is a factor or not....just like the truckers. It ain't the 20th century.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2024, 06:25:42 PM »

I remember a few times--when I was at BCLUW that we had that kind of snow. 
1995-1996....cant remember the month. The transportation director said that if we had another 2 inches we would have been out for a week. I think that was the year we went on a saturday to finish school.

1998. Before Christmas. We did not have school M-W. Late Thursday. Half day friday. So we could move the library from the old school to the new school. After the kids were done passing books, the wind picked up and we sent everyone home.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2024, 08:26:07 PM »
we are slated for another 5 to 10 inches of snow by  Saturday.  Of course the cold you will have in Minnesota.   Last storm I had to wade out to the ISS and clear snow from the solar panel, UV/solar sensors and wind unit.   This stuff is to be the fluffy stuff on top of the 10 we have with NW winds blowing it around.   Keep telling me, we need the snow for the moisture deficit and spring is only 80 days away, perhaps.  So far my station is holding up to this.

Online alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2024, 01:39:36 PM »
I hear you Aardvark. Here in Marion IA I got 13", the wet heavy stuff that was almost impossible to get through with the snow blower, then another 3" to 4" last night, with 8" more expected by Saturday. Then the sub-zero temps settle in. Actually, this is the kind of winter storm I remember as a kid growing up on the farm in rural NW Iowa.

My Ambient WS-2000 array is holding up pretty good. I had sprayed the solar panel and top surfaces with teflon spray in December. So far the wind vane and cups are still turning freely and it is still picking up radiation/UV readings, so hopefully the solar panel/capacitor is still functioning. I can't see it very clearly from the house to tell if any snow has accumulated on it, but as of now I don't intend to trapse through the snow to check it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2024, 02:04:01 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline CSB

« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2024, 01:56:05 PM »
Over here in Oconomowoc Wis. they called for 5"-10" on Tues., we ended up with 3".
 Wed. they called for 1"-2" overnight, we got 4.5/5.00".
Fri. into Sat. they are calling for 5"-10" again.
I guess its just, Wait and See.
After the Fri./Sat. event they are calling for -0 Temps.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2024, 06:33:03 PM »
Our forecast got colder if that's possible.  Now (-8°)f below zero for the high temperature Saturday with 45 mph wind gusts.

Randy

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2024, 06:58:39 PM »
This reminds me of mid-January 1975, I think it was.  We'd had a real warm Christmas and then January hit with snow and cold temps.  Perhaps it was a year later.  I was 11 or 12 so the details have gotten fuzzy.

:lol:

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2024, 07:26:26 PM »
Our forecast got colder if that's possible.  Now (-8°)f below zero for the high temperature Saturday with 45 mph wind gusts.

Not that I'm telling you anything, but that's the kind of stuff that'll freeze exposed skin almost instantly. Incredibly dangerous, incredibly fast.

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #66 on: January 12, 2024, 09:17:08 AM »
Spoke with a senior Forecaster last night. He warned me Saturday's cold will be historical, the coldest day ever recorded for Valentine going back to the 1880s.
The morning forecast has our high forecast at (-12°) now for Saturday. It's pretty much closing the city down. I should add those temperatures with 45 mph wind gusts. Sustained in the 20-25 mph range. 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 09:21:31 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2024, 09:46:27 AM »
Yikes!

Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2024, 01:45:07 PM »
waiting for Aardvark to chime in.

My sister is also in DSM. Pretty tough there now.

Had people ask if I was going to the Chiefs game since tickets are so cheap, but no way. Too cold and driving through Iowa would NOT be fun.

It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #69 on: January 12, 2024, 03:13:06 PM »
Chime

The snow is the little flakes, wind is the problem,  blowing snow,  particularly in the country.  The wind builds momentum out in the sticks and white out conditions. In town, the trees, houses, buildings slow things down a bit.  It is the cold coming in that is a problem. Temperatures will be above zero about Wednesday.   I will not be going to the caucus, that night it dips to -14F.   Anyway, I am not voting for anyone, I don't like them all.   Grump, grump...

Yeah if it were just the snow, you move it and done.  the wind and cold, that is something else.  Our cars are outside so it will be going out and letting them run.  Back in the day, they made engine block heaters which solved the problem, but with Volvo and Mazda they don't have them.

My backup drive died, so going back to something I can fix, maybe.  I have a backup

Online alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #70 on: January 12, 2024, 05:51:01 PM »
It is still snowing here in east central Iowa at 4:30 pm, with an additional 1 to 4 inches predicted by early evening. Winds have been strong all day with gusts up to 35 mph, so lots of drifting and poor visibility. The blizzard warning kicks in at 5 pm until noon tomorrow with wind gusts up to 50 mph and wind chills down to -40°F. Then wind chill watch from noon tomorrow until Tuesday morning. I am not sure what our total snow depth is here in Marion from this week's storms, but judging from visual estimates against objects in my yard, I would guess 16" to 20". I hope to get out with the snow blower tomorrow afternoon. The plows probably won't reach my neighborhood until late afternoon or evening. On top of dealing with the weather, I have came down with Covid-19 four days ago. Symptoms are starting to improve, but at 76, I have to be careful to not over exert. It looks like I may have some broken tree limbs on the evergreens. I'll try to post a picture of my yard tomorrow afternoon.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 06:00:46 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2024, 08:24:13 AM »
For anyone wondering about the Coop Nimbus vs the SHT-31 here it is this morning at -52 wind chill.

Updated:

« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 09:14:30 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2024, 09:21:19 AM »
Yikes!

Do you have a URL for those images?  In all the poking around the NWS site over the years I don't recall finding a classic map like that.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2024, 09:55:32 AM »
They are found here:  https://www.weather.gov/forecastmaps

But the one I posted comes from a phone app:  wXL23

I am currently using an iPhone but there is an Android version available. I have been using this app for many years and find it very helpful. Easy to configure to your location or anywhere else, multiple locations. I have all my family home locations set up so I can keep tabs on their neck of the woods.
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2024, 10:42:54 AM »
There are going to be some COLD games this weekend.

KC
Buffalo

both well below normal. And GB says it is cold.

It's not you-It's WU.