Author Topic: ImageSalsa FTP problems  (Read 23834 times)

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
ImageSalsa FTP problems
« on: October 14, 2011, 04:39:12 PM »
Hey Guys,

I have been trying to use ImageSalsa FTP to put a fixed jpg  on my website but I am not having much luck. I can get the file there using other FTP programs with no problem but when I use ImageSalsa this is what I get on the server.

.pureftpd-upload.4e989b0c.15.52e.6e3afebb, with a file size of 0, and a file type of 6E3AFEBB.

I have read the manual and can't find any mention of the problem or how to fix it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
John

Offline unclemoosh

• Geaux Saints!
    • Frances' Weather
Re: ImageSalsa FTP problems
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 06:15:45 PM »
Hey Guys,

I have been trying to use ImageSalsa FTP to put a fixed jpg  on my website but I am not having much luck.

Thanks
John

What settings are you using?  I have been using it for years with no problem.  But it seems like I had some trial and error when I first set it up.  Particularly, are use using PASV FTP mode?  I am not.  And I am using "Put temp, delete original, rename."

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 06:46:39 PM »
I have Passive FTP Mode checked.  and Put Temp, Del Orig, Rename for the mode.
One thing that I remember is that the folder on the server must already exist before uploading.  IS won't create the folder.
Every 30 seconds, I upload the jpg image for the sig image that is used below.
Mine has a similar file .pureftpd-upload.4cdc----------, I thought it was put there by the host.  I can't copy it, download it, because its an illegal file name.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
The pureftp file is a temp file generated by the FTP  executable.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
Thanks for the replys, we had the grand kids all weekend which didn't leave much time for anything else. :-)

What settings are you using

I am using the same settings as wxtech,
Passive FTP Mode checked.  and Put Temp, Del Orig, Rename for the mode.

I am also running the beta version of ImageSalsa (2.0.13 Weather Edition) on Win 7 Professional 32bit version.

I have also tried switching between active and passive mode and all the other setting combinations but none of it works.

Does anyone know of any problems using the beta version?
Thanks
John

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 03:55:42 PM »
I have been working on this for several days now and am no closer to getting the ftp to work.  ](*,)
I was using beta version 2.0.13, I uninstalled this and installed beta 2.0.12 which the documentation said was stable.

I have tried active and passive mode.
every combination of "Put temp, delete original, rename"
different folders including the root folder with no success.

When its starts to upload the file I see:
connecting to server
logging in
uploading file, at this point the status bar goes about half way and stops.
Then I get the error message ftp disconnected unexpectedly.

When I look at the folder on the web server the file is there but it has a size of 0 so no data was uploaded.
The host I use is GoDaddy and I have not had any problems uploading to them with several different ftp programs.

I really need some help.  :???: Does anyone have any suggestion on where to go from here? Are any of you using one of the beta versions or just v. 1.9.14?

Thanks
John

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 04:15:52 PM »
You said that the target folder is already created?  
I'm also using Godaddy.  One thing, Godaddy ftp address is different from the web site URL.
In ImageSalsa server name block, use ftp://   and then your sitename dot com.
Also your hosting and ftp user name and password are not the same as your customer account log in user/pass.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:24:14 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 07:43:10 PM »
You said that the target folder is already created?  
I'm also using Godaddy.  One thing, Godaddy ftp address is different from the web site URL.
In ImageSalsa server name block, use ftp://   and then your sitename dot com.
Also your hosting and ftp user name and password are not the same as your customer account log in user/pass.

Yes the target folder is already created and I am using the correct username and password for ftp.
When I use ftp:// and my site name I get the following error message:
"The requested name is valid and was found in the database but it does not" and it stops there. There is more to the message but the status area is to small to hold it all so I only see the tops of the letters of the remaining part of the message and it is unreadable. :-(

Did  you have to do anything special on GoDaddy to get this to work?
Thanks for your help Al.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 08:04:19 PM »
OK; I see mine is ftp.     not ftp://   in the server block on ImageSalsa.
Try that change.
I've been using ImageSalsa for 5 or more years with several different hosts.

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2011, 01:26:21 PM »
I changed it to ftp.lorisweather.com and got the same error message I was getting before.
connecting to server
logging in

I see in your signature you are using version 1.9.14. When I get home I am going to uninstall the beta I am using and install 1.9.14.

I will let you know what happens.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2011, 02:53:02 PM »
connecting to server
logging in
Thanks
John

Mine does 1 block and a brief pause, then two more blocks and a longer pause, then two more and a brief pause, then it finishes.

Offline unclemoosh

• Geaux Saints!
    • Frances' Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2011, 03:03:33 PM »
You could always use Fling.  It's free and works well.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 04:02:23 PM »
You could always use Fling.  It's free and works well.

I use Fling but wish it had the feature to upload a temporary file and then rename it after it's finished uploading. I periodically get file not found errors due to this.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »
Try with the option to "put original" only. 
The various delays are because it's doing tasks.  Loggin in, sending file, deleting old file, renaming file, disconnecting.
So, maybe you aren't allowed to rename the file.

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 10:59:36 AM »
Try with the option to "put original" only. 
The various delays are because it's doing tasks.  Loggin in, sending file, deleting old file, renaming file, disconnecting.
So, maybe you aren't allowed to rename the file.

It does the same thing with put original only. I will look into Fling, I was trying to minimize the number of programs I have running on the weather pc but that may be my only option.

What I don't understand is the file is on the server but it has a size of "0", nothing in it. It must connecting just not uploading any information.

If I have time today I'm going to call GoDaddy and make sure there are no special setting I need to use.

Thanks for the help guys I am going to keep trying.

Offline wxtech

• Forecaster
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »
Hey Guys,
I have been trying to use ImageSalsa FTP to put a fixed jpg  on my website but I am not having much luck. I can get the file there using other FTP programs with no problem but when I use ImageSalsa this is what I get on the server.
.pureftpd-upload.4e989b0c.15.52e.6e3afebb, with a file size of 0, and a file type of 6E3AFEBB.
I have read the manual and can't find any mention of the problem or how to fix it.
Thanks
John
Are you using the ImageSalsa FTP Push tab or the Fixed Save tab?  I don't see how you can transfer a fixed jpg file from somewhere on your HD to the server.  Where is the file that you're trying to transfer?
When using FTP Push, ImageSalsa takes the image on the canvas and transfers it to your site at GoDaddy.  The Fixed Save tab stores the canvas image to a location on your HD.
I'm running IS on two computers.  On one computer IS creates the jpg files and stores them in the VWS upload folder.  Then VWS uploads everything in that folder every 5 minutes.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2011, 01:00:38 PM »
Have you tried to FTP to one of the free sites like Dropbox or box.net?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 06:37:18 PM »
Are you using the ImageSalsa FTP Push tab or the Fixed Save tab?
I am using the FTP Push tab. I misspoke in my earlier post about the fixed jpg.

Have you tried to FTP to one of the free sites like Dropbox or box.net?
Bushman, I have a dropbox account, what settings would I use to ftp to it?

I'm running IS on two computers.  On one computer IS creates the jpg files and stores them in the VWS upload folder.  Then VWS uploads everything in that folder every 5 minutes.
I can do the same thing with Weather Display so I know I am able to get an IS file to the server. I use the WD ftp for several other uploads and I really didn't want to add any more to it. Since IS comes with ftp I wanted to use it.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »
it going to to the correct remote directory (e.g permissions)
also to me a zero byte size file and stopping like that points to either your firewall blocking the upload or you need to set passive mode (but you say you have tried that)
or it could be that the source file its trying to upload is not the correct file, or that file gets overwritten before the upload finishes ....maybe try reducing the frequency of file saves to avoid a conflict like that
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 01:17:46 PM »
it going to to the correct remote directory (e.g permissions)
also to me a zero byte size file and stopping like that points to either your firewall blocking the upload or you need to set passive mode (but you say you have tried that)
or it could be that the source file its trying to upload is not the correct file, or that file gets overwritten before the upload finishes ....maybe try reducing the frequency of file saves to avoid a conflict like that

I have checked the permissions and am able to upload to the same directory with WD and Filezilla. I have checked the firewall settings and nothing else is being blocked and nothing shows in the Firewall log files.
The file is scheduled to upload once a minute but its never gotten there.

I called GoDaddy today just on the off chance they might see something on their end but no luck.  They said that since I was able to upload with 2 other ftp clients the problem wasn't on their end.

Does anyone know where the ftp setting are stored in IS? I looked in the ini file and didn't see any.
I appreciate all the help. I'm going to continue to work on this and will let you know if I get it working.

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »
Just for fun I set up an FTP Push with ImageSalsa.  I use GoDaddy and version 2.0.13.  I had no trouble getting it to go and save on the server every 2 minutes.  I have always used the IP address of the server rather than the URL in all my FTP programs.  Seems that this solved some problems in the past.  Not knowing whether to put ftp:\\mysite.com, ftp mysite.com, or mysite.com.  My settings are attached.  I decided to see if I could put it into another folder and that also worked without issue.

Jay
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 02:35:43 PM by jay_hoehn »
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 11:06:17 AM »
Just for fun I set up an FTP Push with ImageSalsa.  I use GoDaddy and version 2.0.13.  I had no trouble getting it to go and save on the server every 2 minutes.  I have always used the IP address of the server rather than the URL in all my FTP programs.  Seems that this solved some problems in the past.  Not knowing whether to put ftp:\\mysite.com, ftp mysite.com, or mysite.com.  My settings are attached.  I decided to see if I could put it into another folder and that also worked without issue.

Jay

Jay
I tried your settings and still no luck. I am beginning to think this is an issue with my firewall since so many other people use IS FTP Push with no problems.  The frustrating part is that everything works with the other FTP programs I use. Thanks for the input.
John

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2011, 02:40:17 PM »
maybe the port number being used is being blocked by your firewall
can that be set in the program?
21 is normaly used
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline johnah

• Loris SC Weather
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 04:31:00 PM »
maybe the port number being used is being blocked by your firewall
can that be set in the program?
21 is normaly used

Update.
I opened the firewall completely between the weather PC and the web server and still had the same problem.
I also uninstalled IS went through the Windows registry and deleted every mention of IS and reinstalled the program.
No Change.

It looks like I'm going to have to find another way to get my images to my site. I liked the way I could put my weather data on the image. Does anyone know if saving a fixed jpg in IS and using another ftp program to upload it to my site every couple of minutes would accomplish the same thing as using FTPPush?

I hate to give up on this but I am very frustrated so I am going to give it a break for awhile.

Thanks for all the help.
John

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 04:41:58 PM »
why not use WD's webcamcapture program to use the IS created image, put a time stamp on it, and get WD to ftp upload the file (via the webcam upload)
Brian
info@weather-display.com