Author Topic: Connectors Campbell Scientific uses for their sensors, specifically SR50  (Read 426 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
I have a functioning Campbell Scientific SR50A that I'd like to incorporate into a snow depth measuring project.  I have it apart, connections made to the board and would reassemble to use their plug connector with screw on holding nut.  I cannot find a word in their manual on what the type of plug is, although a lot of other information is there (including how much their cable weighs per foot, and that it is 4 wire, two twisted pair 22 gauge wire.)

I cannot find anything in their listing and a few months ago sent a query and got back a CS part number for the connector and the price of approx $150.00 for a 10' cable and the connector.  This is almost three times what I paid for the sensor on eBay (and no cables on ebay that I can find) so I'm on the hunt to find a manufacturer and make my own if I can.

Otherwise until the lottery comes through I'm not getting a cable, or so it seems. 

In some other info I found a reference to a ET series weather station for an option on the other end of the cable, and for yet another option for a CS110 sensor suite/lightning detector.

That didn't define the pins, nor the part number of a supplier like SwitchCraft, Amphenol, etc.

I can see that they want to hold their profit centers close to home, but would think that as much as they document everything else that the type of connectors or series from a manufacturer would be listed.

Has anyone hands-on experience with these things, or know the plug/socket manufacturer?
Thanks for any leads, Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline olsongt

Re: Connectors Campbell Scientific uses for their sensors, specifically SR50
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2021, 06:40:14 PM »
I saw your message. I recently picked up an old Campbell u/s snow sensor too. I have an extra raspberry pi that I am going to re-purpose as a data logger - now that we can get SDI-12 compatible input boards for r-pi's. (The pi's software also supports direct server upload to MySQL which is nice too.) The unit is in storage and if I can I'll pull it out and look what documentation it has.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Connectors Campbell Scientific uses for their sensors, specifically SR50
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 07:36:06 PM »
Thanks, I look forward to whatever info you might find.

I have a much easier job of interfacing with my unit since it is feeding a Camp Sci 3000.

I know, but it was a good price and another member here played the devil and encouraged me to get it.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php