Author Topic: weatherlink v6x not showing upload screens in Win XP or 7?  (Read 469 times)

Offline simiweather

• Simi Valley, CA Weather
weatherlink v6x not showing upload screens in Win XP or 7?
« on: June 17, 2021, 01:50:23 PM »
I finally upgraded my Win 7 PC from WL 5.7 to version 6.0.2 (mostly for the APRS rotating server feature).  My station sends data to my website, APRS and NOAA.  Everything seems to work fine, except I no longer see the pop-up screens when the uploads occur if I am running either "Weather Bulletin" or "Strip Chart" screens.  They will show up when running any of the other screens  (Plot, Browse Records, Yearly Rainfall, etc).  If I'm running Weather Bulletin or Strop chart, when the uploads happen, (and they do successfully upload), Weatherlink's window freezes, and it goes into the NOT RESPONDING mode.  Once the upload finishes, the Weatherlink screen then reverts to normal.

I've verified this behavior both with Windows XP and Windows 7 Home.  Also, I've subsequently upgraded to v 6.0.3 & 6.0.5, and its the same deal....no pop up screens with weather bulletin or strip chart running.  Yet, the uploads do occur. 

I've even tried a clean install of WL6.0.5 on a new Win7 Pro laptop and get the same results.  Does anyone have any input on this?  Davis is not aware of this problem, and verified all is OK running on Windows 10, (which I don't have). 

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: weatherlink v6x not showing upload screens in Win XP or 7?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 04:34:59 PM »
Have any Popup Blockers enabled?

Offline simiweather

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 06:53:47 PM »
That was my first thought, but I don't see an option to prevent that in Windows 7 (or XP).  And the pop ups are only blocked when WL "live" screens (bulletiin & strip chart) are on. 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 08:54:40 PM »
I run WL 6.0.5 on PC Windows8 and it behaves the same way - no webpage upload popups when Bulletin and Strip Charts are open, but popups do show when Reports, etc. are open.  Can't recall if it did the same when I was using 5.8.0 as that was many years ago.  I only do website updates with WL, and not to any other sites.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline simiweather

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2021, 12:31:00 PM »
Thank you for confirming, Paul.  I'll let Davis know it wasn't just me. 

-Steve

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2021, 01:26:36 PM »
I've got some vague recollection that this is deliberate, ie by design, but I can't quite recall the exact reason - it was something to do with keeping the uploads running correctly in certain less common configurations.

When you say 'Davis is not aware of this problem', I suspect what you mean is that whoever answered your call/email in front-line support wasn't familiar with the point. You really need to talk to the developers but they live in a different silo and are difficult/impossible to contact (other than eg via the gitter chatroom, if you have eg a relevant API issue). It's fairly unlikely anyway that there will be any further significant tweaks to Weatherlink for Windows, now that weatherlink.com is the prime focus of attention.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:29:40 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

anything