Author Topic: Most accurate forecasting tools/apps in the US  (Read 586 times)

Offline savannaprince

Most accurate forecasting tools/apps in the US
« on: February 01, 2021, 02:18:25 PM »
Hi, I am new to the weather measuring/forecasting game and hoping to get some help with something that seems confusing to me, but is probably obvious to you. I previously posted that I was confused because the forecasts in my Weather Underground app were not very good. I was told to use the forecasts from NWS instead. The forecasts from NWS are much better in my experience, so that's good.

However, the weather.gov site is frustrating. It doesn't seem like there's a way to get a permalink to the "Hourly Weather Forecast," which is the most useful view. Also there's no mobile app.

This is a fairly confusing situation. Is there any mobile app in the US that uses the NWS data as the basis for making forecasts? Presumably a weather app would want to use the most accurate data available, and a government agency would want to share the information it has as widely as possible, but maybe I'm missing something for why Weather Underground et al do not use the NWS data?

Are there _more_ accurate sources than NWS? I live in San Francisco, which has many different microclimates. Tips for forecasting, or for converting the forecasts from the nearest weather station (200 feet higher than me, across a freeway) to my location would be helpful.

There's a new presidential administration - is it possible that the NOAA will make it a priority to develop a mobile app or improve its forecasting ability?

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Re: Most accurate forecasting tools/apps in the US
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2021, 02:41:14 PM »
You're looking for a unicorn.

Let us know when you find it.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline savannaprince

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2021, 02:42:30 PM »
Sorry let me rephrase then.

- Are there any commercial iOS or Android apps that use the data from the National Weather Service? If not, why not?

- Are there better publicly available forecasts than the NWS, or is the NWS's hegemony here disputed?

- Do you know if NWS plans to launch a mobile app or mobile friendly website?

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2021, 04:28:18 PM »
Mobile versions of weather.gov for Android and iPhone are available here:

https://www.weather.gov/wrn/mobile-phone

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 06:21:19 PM »
Besides WU and NOAA I believe Accuweather also makes in house forecasts.
There are several apps on Google Play that are forecast only. Most of these apps use public weather weather models to make  their forecasts. Some get their data from other places. 
You could try weather.us. They have many models to choose from.
Don't think that NOAA would ever make an app with all their models and forecasts. Just too hard to get it all to work harmoniously with all the cell phone platforms out there. NOAA really isn't in the app business with exception of the app mentioned above by BKS97.
There is one called Wx that I use a lot. It's all data from public servers distributed by NOAA.
There is a learning curve because there is so much info and personalization associated with it.
You could go the commercial route but you are going to pay for that.
If you are looking for the best comparison site you can try forecastadvisor.com.
Good luck and happy hunting. 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2021, 07:13:01 PM »
SpotWx on the web and FloWX on Android (but IOS version coming!).  I use them extensively for backcountry skiing where storms can be a good thing.  Or a very bad thing.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2021, 07:35:17 PM »
 Forgot about floweather.
That's a real good app.