Author Topic: Sending data to MesoWest, through CWOP?  (Read 640 times)

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Sending data to MesoWest, through CWOP?
« on: January 15, 2021, 09:00:31 PM »
I just got a member number and configured the software to send 1/2 hourly reports to CWOP system.

Those data are showing up, and now I'm wondering about sending directly to, or via CWOP, to the MesoWest system.

When I'm in MesoWest, I see there is a selection for data from CWOP, but nothing shows from my location yet.

Does this link occur automatically, eventually, and I should just be patient, or is there a way to tell CWOP to send it on to MesoWest, or tell MesoWest I'm interested in sharing my data with them, similar to what other obvious CWOP stations are doing?

Just curious.   Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
Re: Sending data to MesoWest, through CWOP?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:23:10 PM »
Hi Dale,

I think it may take a couple of days for data to show on MesoWest, but don't hold me to that.  It has been years since I've set up CWOP.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 09:54:27 PM »
Since you just started uploading there are a few things left to do now. The CWOP sign up instructions say to look at your map position that your software sends via each upload. The trouble is that the position link on FindU does not work. Therefore I recommend you look up your CWOP station location using https://aprs.fi/

Zoom in well on the map on aprs.fi and ensure that you are in agreement with the location you see.

The next thing you need to do is send an email to cwop-support {at} noaa.gov. This email should provide the following information.
- state your CWOP ID ...FWxxxx
- state that your station is successfully uploading to CWOP and that are confirming that your CWOP upload data location is correct
- state your elevation in *METERS* .... many people make the mistake and send this information in the wrong units....it has to be in meters!!!

Then within a day or two they will complete your CWOP registration. But you'll need to wait up to a week to be assimilated into the MADIS system....this is automatic process after they complete your registration. Then shortly after that you'll automatically show up on Mesowest.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 10:35:05 PM »
Indeed, thank you.

The link you provided for position verification is yet another way to look around, and I'll play with it too, but I did verify the position is correct.

I'll make sure the three elements in my message to them are correct, and indeed in meters for elevation.

I was going nuts on the CWOP page, finding some instructions, and then the info seemed to just stop or be the wrong url (as you pointed out).

Thanks again, and I hope to be a reliable supplier of data to these places.

Dale
PS thanks to the group for being helpful and prompt in leading a new to this fellow along.
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 10:50:31 PM »
Something else that shows up as conflicting information in various CWOP instructional places is what your upload maximum frequency should be. The correct and latest information is that your upload can be as frequent as every 5 minutes. If you want to send data at a longer frequency you can, but there likely is no reason to really not just send data every 5 minutes to have more immediacy of your data. It will help in station comparison with neighbor stations and with local METAR, and you'll be able to enjoy your data to a greater extent.
Tele-Pole

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 08:07:15 AM »
Galfert:
Thanks for the update on the frequency.  I have it set to every 1/2 hour at this time but will tweak it.

I just didn't want to swamp their servers with stuff, and then have them filter out a bunch of it and toss it.

During the winter there are more stable situations, while summer time storms move through and things change more quickly.

Once you set an interval, should you not change it, say based on the fluidity of the weather being sent more often in the summer and less in the winter?

Does it make any difference how much stuff gets forwarded on to the other services, or does that happen at intervals places like MesoWest determine, say every hour, even if my station is reporting every 5 minutes or so?
Thanks again.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2021, 09:20:44 AM »
There is no problem and nothing gets affected by changing the upload interval frequency. The only thing is you change the granularity of the historical data.

There is no reason to change upload interval frequency during different seasons. Sending 5 minute data year round is pretty much the norm.

Every service connected to CWOP will also reflect your upload interval frequency and they can all handle that.

In the early days of CWOP everyone used the same few servers that ham operators used. As CWOP became more popular the servers had a hard time with uptime and reliability. It was therefore customary back then to only send data every 15 minutes. Then the hams got upset. Then CWOP gained their own set of servers for non-hams. At some point 10 minutes was advised. Then both hams and non-ham servers increased in numbers and even some server banks changed custody. Then with the increased campacity it finally became acceptable for everyone hams and non-ham to upload every 5 minutes. Because of all these changes, and because of the poor documentation maintenence is why you can still find references to various max upload intervals.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:24:58 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

anything