Author Topic: Dads train set  (Read 1098 times)

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
Dads train set
« on: December 20, 2020, 09:29:39 PM »
Dad got this train set about 1954. He would have been 14. His father died 4 years later.

I have been waiting quite a while to be able to have the time to get it set up and moving. Along with having the ability to function without stress.

It has been moving better and faster the longer I run it. Bringing it here last year was the first time it's been out of a house since 1963.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 08:45:48 AM by chief-david »

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
Re: Dads train set
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 09:41:44 PM »
Very impressed that it is still working. I am sure it is working better than I am at this age. The family also had one of these sets with the three-rail tracks and the huge transformer. I'm not sure what happened to it as my folks downsized homes several times in the past many years. Very relaxing watching them run.
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 10:20:50 PM »
Ah yes, Lionel 027 gauge. I had a Union Pacific one under the tree when I was eight. Thanks for sharing.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 11:18:50 PM »
I used to have one of these 3 track Lionel sets back when I was a kid in the 1950s. I don't know what ever happened to it ... probably thrown out as junk by my parents. It was still in working condition when I quit playing with it. The thing I remember about it is the ozone smell it produced from arcing of the spring loaded electrical contact underneath the engine that rubbed on the middle rail.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 11:20:21 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 06:55:37 AM »
My dad used to have a big Lionel collection. Every Xmas he would set up a 25ftx25ft display in our basement. Complete with House's crossing gates and a paper mache mountain with a h2o set up on it. Needless to say I was on heavan. Had that exact locomotive along with others.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 08:19:57 AM »
Thanks for sharing that, chief david.

I guess I am the odd man out here. Back in about 1951, my father bought the Gilbert American Flyer, and I enjoyed it for many years.

Much like this one.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 09:21:13 AM »
We had a set that would be brought out once in awhile, put together and played with during the winter.  Yes, the smell of the ozone was remarkable, and the fun was like none other.

Nothing elaborate, and after awhile the space needed to set it up even in a little figure 8 was needed and we packed it up and it got put up on a shelf "to rest awhile."

I really wanted a steamer like my cousins (much better off than we were) had.  I recall when Karl would drop some sort of pellet in the smoke stack and as it went around their layout it would puff out little wisps of smoke.

I'm sure now it would be far too dangerous to have in a house, say nothing about letting kids play with it.

Enjoy.  Nostalgia is a wonderful thing.

ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Notsorusty

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 10:14:26 AM »
Speaking of dangerous, I remember one of my older brothers would hook a wire between the rails and slowly turn up the transformer until it glowed. We were lucky we didn't burn the house down!
Station Name: Silver Creek II
Latitude / Longitude: 41.925° N, -87.872° W
Elevation: 633
City: Franklin Park
State: IL
Hardware: Ambient Weather WS-2902D

Offline davidmc36

• He who dies with the most toys wins!
  • Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 10:44:47 AM »
Oh yes. Many memories of wires across transformer terminals of various train sets or slot cars. Good Times. :twisted:

Funny there was another thread in one group that Buddy pulled out an old train set due to time on his hands in Lockdown.

We had one basic HO set when young and I made a very basic N scale set years back. Fascinating evening once when about 8 yrs old my father's friend had a full basement O Scale. Hundreds of rolling stock and obviously thousands of hours work.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 11:06:26 AM »
I had a line on a lot of O track a few days ago. It went fast.
I was going to let it run along the ceiling of my basement and make the track out of barn wood/hay mow wood from the farm.

Alas-it did not work out. It may happen someday.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 11:23:15 AM »
Shortly after coming to town about 40  years ago, I met a pediatrician who had a 'big' train with an engine and two cars that ran along a track in one of his exam rooms.  It was placed up near the ceiling and while I don't know the details, the cars were perhaps 12-16" long and the cowboy western type of steamer engine was that long with two drives and maybe 10" tall.  It was a hit with the kids to say the least.  The nurse would start it and would slowly run back and forth, with auto reverse.

My barber did the same with his time (then) between haircuts and had it running a good 100' track around the shop.  I recall he was talking about finding a specialty piece to control the rate and do auto reverse.

A local ham had some enormous sized track, maybe this was the O size that Chief-David is talking about, that ran around his 1 acre garden in the back of his house lot.  Smaller kids could actually ride in the little car, sort of.

Some time after meeting the pediatrician I was asked to help with two projects.  Little did I know that his entire basement was thousands of hours of work with him and the local club in an enormous setup.  He was a stickler for realism, and one part had an old wooden ship a couple feet long that rocked slowly and while it did, he had audio playing of creaking wood.  He wanted an incoming thunderstorm over a SouthWestern canyon scene have the lighting, but delayed thunder.  I helped with getting a storm track of real thunder, then delaying the thunder audio onto the second stereo track, while picking off the first track and when it exceeded a certain voltage, would cause a flicker on a small strobe.  Thus it avoided the movie cliche of having lighting and thunder at the same time.  Our final project was to make a radio tower have the old fashioned red lights that would increase in brightness and then slowly fade as they pulsed.  LEDs of course came on quick and off quick (more like today's tower's strobes) but he wanted the old look.  Going back to a rice (flea) bulb and a small RC circuit we got what he wanted.

To say the least, this was his passion and those who helped learned to lay track with individual rails.  His airbrushing for the cars was incredible.  The scenes were as perfect as any I could recall, with the little corner stores having small coke cans turned from brass rod and painted rather than just a glob of paint on the counter.

I heard he developed severe dementia after he retired and had no family capable of or interested in, maintaining the setup.  I recall racks of very expensive engines (literally hundreds of dollars each, which was a ton of money then and now) he had painted and were stored on the walls where there was room.

I wonder what ever happened to the setup.  I know a local mall had a larger scale than his little stuff, and was fun to watch but after maybe 10 years it was gone one day when we went down to look at it.

Things change.  I hope there are younger people with an interest in this (not just trains but learning electronics, painting, airbrushing, scene building) but it doesn't fit today's mobile lifestyle.  Sort of like trying to find a local amateur group that has the old style roots.

Thanks for triggering the memories and refreshing those brain cells that haven't recalled this stuff in decades.

Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 03:07:09 PM »
Great stuff folks, lotsa memories. I've actually been watching train setups on Youtube for months now to help pass "Covid Time". Some of them are absolutely mesmerizing with how realistic they are. Lots of $$$.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 03:25:27 PM »
Talk about mesmerizing......

https://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2020, 04:43:09 PM »

=D> Incredible... I've seen Knuffingen Airport before, but had no idea it was an entire "world". The half-hour Youtube airport video is a blast (well, at least to me...) If I had a bucket list, a visit there would certainly be on it. Thanks! 

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 12:16:32 AM »
My brother had a Lionel set.   I think they still do.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2020, 05:27:42 PM »

=D> Incredible... I've seen Knuffingen Airport before, but had no idea it was an entire "world". The half-hour Youtube airport video is a blast (well, at least to me...) If I had a bucket list, a visit there would certainly be on it. Thanks!
Holy Crap! That's incredible.

Offline davidmc36

• Forecaster
  • FN25ie61jw
    • MorewoodW34
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2020, 06:23:01 PM »
If any trip to Europe is on my bucket list....that's it.

anything