Author Topic: Acurite Atlas replacement fan motor.  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Denpat

Acurite Atlas replacement fan motor.
« on: August 15, 2023, 08:42:45 PM »
I need to replace the fan motor in my Acurite Atlas weather station. I talked to Acurite and they just told me I need to purchase a new sensor, since that part is not available. Have any of you guys come up with a work around. I just can’t see throwing away a perfectly good staton because you can’t buy a $10 par.

Would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

Dennis

Offline worachj

• Forecaster
  • Twin Cities, Minnesota
Re: Acurite Atlas replacement fan motor.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 12:14:08 PM »
I gave up trying to find a replacement fan that would work.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=44343.msg451046#msg451046

AcuRite Atlas
KMNSAINT173

Offline Denpat

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 12:28:25 PM »
That is just a sad story. I am going to attempt to solder the wires myself. I don’t hold out much hope.

Dennis

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2023, 05:27:03 PM »
It's the same motor that is in the 5 in 1. You just unscrew it from the plastic housing. The wires you will need to tie into the old motor wires from the board, since it is a push on connection.

Offline Denpat

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2023, 06:50:48 PM »
I didn’t know that. I will give that a try.

Thanks

Dennis

Offline Denpat

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2023, 08:02:27 PM »
What did you order from Acurite to get the motor.

Dennis

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2023, 07:31:39 AM »
I didn't order. I had an extra motor from an old sensor. You can buy them from amazon, (just the motor). There is another topic on the 5 in 1 motors somewhere. The exact drop in replacement size. You will need to twist the wires together from the board of the atlas, as it has a plug in connector. You have to take apart the atlas to the bear bones too to get to where the board and the wires run below the rain gauge section. Don't be afraid, just take note of each step and where each screw came from, and particularly the way the radiation shield fits together...

Offline Denpat

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2023, 10:51:03 AM »
This is what I’ve found out so far. I have pull the motor and found a manufacturers number on the side of RF-300C-09560. I have discovered that the manufacturer is Mabuchi out of China. The closest number I can find is Mabuchi RF-300C-09550. I have ordered one from ebay and thought it was worth a shot. I took my calipers and determined it is the exact same deminsions. I can’t believe the last number could make that much difference. The total cost including freight is $6.41. As doctor know said you will still need to splice the wires together, but without tearing the unit completely apart.

I will give a report as soon as I get it and get it installed. If this works it could save a lot of Atlas sensors.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2023, 01:18:51 PM »
Here's the topic I did on when I did mine not too long ago. https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=45485.0

Offline Denpat

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 06:25:23 PM »
I ordered the motor off of eBay for $1.95 plus $3.75 postage. I received it in about two weeks.
Put it in and it runs like a dream. I would think that Acurite could order them and sell them for spare parts. You would need to drill a hole about 1/4” if they did that. You will have to solder two small gauge wires together, but it is do able if you have some soldering skills. Thankfully my wife taught solder at HP and Ames College. You don’t have much invested to give it a try.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 08:42:19 PM »
Definitely do not throw an atlas away that has a bad fan motor.