Author Topic: Spring/Summer '18  (Read 23899 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Re: Spring/Summer '18
« Reply #325 on: July 22, 2018, 12:17:59 PM »
119 Heat Index here yesterday. Don't think I could have been any more wetter after cutting the grass unless I took a shower.
Slight risk today also as the weather radio just went off with a Severe TS Watch.
Low probability of tornadoes just enhanced straight line and possible downbursts.
I probably should gas up the genny just in case.

Was that with the Davis station or airport. Many have noticed the Davis has a really high heat index bias with humidity running for some 10% high especially when it gets muggy.

Pulling up yesterday the Ocala International Airport - Jim Taylor Field, FL. reported high temp of 91.4°F at dewpoint 77° making for heat index of 105°.
It was the Davis. Does the new sensor rectify that?
This occurred at 3PM yesterday. Temp was 92.7 and DP was 80.6. Heat Index was 113.1. 119 was the hi dewpoint. 113.1 was the average for the 10 minute archive.
Strangely enough Cumulus had the the same data but they also have something called the Apparent Temp. It was 105.5. Not sure what to make of that. :???:
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #326 on: July 22, 2018, 12:29:04 PM »
119 Heat Index here yesterday. Don't think I could have been any more wetter after cutting the grass unless I took a shower.
Slight risk today also as the weather radio just went off with a Severe TS Watch.
Low probability of tornadoes just enhanced straight line and possible downbursts.
I probably should gas up the genny just in case.

Was that with the Davis station or airport. Many have noticed the Davis has a really high heat index bias with humidity running for some 10% high especially when it gets muggy.

Pulling up yesterday the Ocala International Airport - Jim Taylor Field, FL. reported high temp of 91.4°F at dewpoint 77° making for heat index of 105°.
It was the Davis. Does the new sensor rectify that?

No but Davis is looking at issue.

Thread on forum Re: The Reliability of the SHT-31 Humidity Sensor & What Psychrometer Should I Buy?. It's long and gets off track at times but in summary covers many of the potential problems from contamination, and now has revolved to the SHT sensors are not meteorological sensors or designed for high humidity use.  It even states 85% humidity is upper end recommended for general use in literature.

It looks more like just a bad choice. Specs +/- 2% have been proven way off 10% at times when in saturated high humidity environments where many are during summer except the west where the sensor does better when arid.
Randy

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #327 on: July 22, 2018, 12:29:59 PM »
Googling apparent temp it also takes into account wind speed. In this case it would be a cooling effect.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #328 on: July 22, 2018, 12:36:23 PM »
I didn't take apart the  heat shield this year and do a spring cleaning. That could be some of the issue.
If that is what the literature says then Davis FU big time putting in a sensor with a humidity ceiling of 85%. That is boneheaded beyond belief. :evil:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #329 on: July 22, 2018, 12:38:59 PM »
This occurred at 3PM yesterday. Temp was 92.7 and DP was 80.6. Heat Index was 113.1. 119 was the hi dewpoint. 113.1 was the average for the 10 minute archive.
Strangely enough Cumulus had the the same data but they also have something called the Apparent Temp. It was 105.5. Not sure what to make of that. :???:

They can start making big swings too. Mine does in high heat and humidity also.
You are running the classic +4 dewpoint above actual, pretty much all 31's are displaying this same high bias.

There is nothing really you can do even new sensors display same characteristics.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 04:55:35 PM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #330 on: July 22, 2018, 04:38:32 PM »
Is it weird that 79 degrees at 3PM feels almost chilly?

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #331 on: July 23, 2018, 07:32:07 PM »
Air 82, Dwpt 62, Hum 51%

Almost feels comfy.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #332 on: July 24, 2018, 10:01:43 PM »

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #333 on: July 24, 2018, 10:13:21 PM »
Couple of years ago we had that smoke from fires in BC or Alberta (can't remember which), and in addition to making a haze, it really stunk up the air.

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #334 on: July 26, 2018, 12:06:24 PM »
Davis v CoCoRaHS rain gauge in heavy rain this morning

CoCo measured 1.25", Davis 1.26". This rain fell in less than an hour. Wind less than 15 max gust.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #335 on: August 02, 2018, 03:24:04 AM »
Air 63, Dewpoint 60

Nights have been like this for much of the last week or so.  Days have been upper 80s with low dewpoints also.  Haven't had the A/C on for close to two weeks now.

Changes are coming back though for a while after this week.

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
« Reply #336 on: August 02, 2018, 11:29:53 AM »
Luckily I haven’t had to deal with the humidity, but Fresno has had nearly 30 consecutive days at or above 100°F (the old record for us was 22). The heat will let off for a few days next week but its definitely coming back.  #-o
░▒▓█ have a great day! █▓▒░

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #337 on: August 03, 2018, 05:23:26 AM »
^^  Haven't hit it at all this year.  Got close at 98 twice.  Next two weeks look to be normal or below with highs under 90 and beyond there it's rare for us to hit it.  I see a few 100+ readings in the High Records list past mid August, but those were mostly in the 1940s and 50s and in years that would have already been that hot by now.

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
« Reply #338 on: August 03, 2018, 09:44:10 AM »
I think 95-96F has been our high so far this summer.  Between it, though, and the humidty...and getting older  #-o it has been a hot, sweaty time. 

It had dried out around here and we needed a good rain.  We were away from home yesterday, experiencing only a light sprinkle of rain while gone.  When we returned home I noticed some things seemed to be kind of "beaten up".  It ended up being that a cloud decided to dump right at 1.6" of rain on us.  Folks around us did not get anywhere close to that amount.  We're predicted for more today and the days to follow.  Temperatures will be in the upper 80F this weekend moving backing into the mid-90F next week.  I hope the garden dries enough to plant some beans and a few other things.  ;)

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #339 on: August 07, 2018, 05:49:07 AM »
Death Valley today. Check the temperature at 2am it's just under 100° (37.7c)  heading for 123° (50.5c).
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #340 on: August 07, 2018, 07:37:18 AM »
And thus the names....Furnace Creek and Death Valley!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :shock: :shock: :shock:

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #341 on: August 07, 2018, 11:15:15 AM »
And thus the names....Furnace Creek and Death Valley!!!!!!!!!!!!!   :shock: :shock: :shock:

What I found odd only excessive until Wednesday 10pm. How about 120° Thursday , Friday etc.  :grin:
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #342 on: August 08, 2018, 09:15:32 AM »
At those temps, what's a couple of measly degrees, eh?   #-o

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #343 on: August 08, 2018, 09:20:46 AM »
You can keep that heat, but I'd pay serious money for that dew point!!!
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #344 on: August 10, 2018, 09:16:23 PM »
We've dropped back to bouncing around in the low and mid 90's with humidity in the 70's-80's.  All I know is that I was drenched with sweat today at work and was drenched in the garden yesterday morning.  Maybe I'm just getting too old for this...time to move to Alaska, or maybe Queenstown, NZ!!!  UU  But, I guess I'm stuck here in the Enchanted Land of Humidity. :lol:  We did have a storm blow through today around 2:30pm that really cooled things off.  It got me a little worried, recalling a couple of years ago when the straight-line wind came through town and almost put me out of business (and did lots of damage to a lot of folks property).  The wind really got up today.  The storm came from the north and I heard later on that about 30 miles to the south of us in Opp, Alabama, that electric lines were down and lots of folks were without power...I don't know of any specific damage, though.  Here's a shot I took with my phone as the storm was nearing the downtown area...

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #345 on: August 14, 2018, 04:18:19 AM »
A Rare Oklahoma Summer Severe Weather Event Tuesday: A Tornado Possible
http://aarontuttleweather.com/2018/08/13/a-rare-summer-severe-weather-event-tuesday-a-tornado-possible/

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #346 on: August 14, 2018, 06:01:59 AM »
Our 90° (32.2c) days may soon be over. Fingers crossed...None in 10 day forecast and as days get shorter chances lessen going into September even though not uncommon to have a couple early on.

So far a full months worth (30) 90+ days and only 1-100° day all summer.  Stark difference from last year with 8 days above 100° all in July. Could have something to do with the moisture +8" above normal this year.  I've not needed to water lawn yet this year and may not as we cool and just let it go dormant with first freeze due around 4th October.
Randy

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #347 on: August 14, 2018, 06:14:16 AM »
Completely subjective observation

I can't remember a greener summer here, especially this late in August. No hot, dry August wind, and I am not complaining about the loss.

Light rain again overnight.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #348 on: August 14, 2018, 06:25:17 AM »
We've been hot and muggy, but not killer hot.  No 100 degree days, though we've come close at 98 once or twice.  Temps have generally topped out in the low 90s overall with nights in the low 70s.  Recent nights have been in the 60s a few times ..  currently 65 with a 63 dewpoint.  Lets me open the windows and draw the cool air in, then close up some and hold it in most of the day.  A/C has only been on a few hours at a time in the early evening all summer.  And that's only been to dry the muggy out to make sleeping easier.

It has been dry though.  A few storms have kept things green, but I'm seeing some things show signs of drying out, leaves browning, grass slowing, etc.

We've turned the corner, but we're not out of the woods yet.  September can be a real crapshoot and the last couple of years we've had upper 80s in early October.

Offline chief-david

• Educational Weather
  • Forecaster
  • Space Academy for Educators
    • Benilde-St. Margaret's Weather
« Reply #349 on: August 15, 2018, 10:07:07 PM »
Started hearing locusts this week.

six weeks until the first frost-puts us at end of September.

You can't phase me-I teach Middle School.
It's not you-It's WU.

anything