Author Topic: Ambient WS-2902A - How's its performance in snow and ice events?  (Read 1422 times)

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
Ambient WS-2902A - How's its performance in snow and ice events?
« on: November 25, 2018, 10:34:33 AM »
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
(Thanks to Mark for his photo which I've edited only slightly)

How has snow impacted the performance of your WS-2902A? Has the impact only been limited to its rain reports stopping, or have there been other issues that are possibly linked to times during heavy snowfall, or any snowfall? Do you have to clean off the snow every time there's a measurable snow event? How quickly have the wind vane and anemometer thawed out after icing events? 

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
Re: Ambient WS-2902A - How's its performance in snow and ice events?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2018, 10:38:14 AM »
A quick reply this morning from Ambient Weather Customer Care: "Lots of users operate their weather station in heavy snow."

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2018, 10:49:45 AM »
From ambientweather.com:

How do I prevent snow build up on my weather station?
https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Snow-Repellant-10-Ounce/dp/B0031T82NO
but this is not 100% effective.

Snow is considered normal maintenance, and accumulated snow can be brushed off gently with a broom.

A couple of related questions and responses from Amazon customers:

Q: How does it fair in snow belt areas?
A: You will have to maintain it by brushing off the snow from time to time. Otherwise, works fine!
By Ed the Weatherman on November 6, 2018

Q: Will this measure snowfall or just rain?
A: Rain only. Snow after it melts.
By Ed the Weatherman on October 28, 2017

Offline madkiwi

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 02:22:28 PM »
I see you edited out the birdhouse behind the array in my photo! Wasn't paying attention to the background...

Called Ambient, the tech support fellow was super nice, he had seen my post about it here on wxforum.net. He told me this behavior is something he has not seen before so they are going to RMA the array and once they get mine back they'll look at it and see what is going on.

Sending me a new one now with a UPS return label.

Mark
WS-2902A WU:KMTFLRE23
WS-2813 WU:KMTMISS015

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 04:13:34 PM »
(from page 14 in the WS-2902A manual)

(from page 33 in the WS-2902A manual)

That's great Mark. Glad to hear it.

I've read your other posts regarding display console location and wireless communications issues. I've also read the wxforum.net posts from other WS-2902A users mentioning sensor array RF-related issues. I wonder about the WS-2902A's transmission power (1 watt?), antenna gain (5 dB?) on either end - the manual doesn't really say much about the wireless specs. Do you know anybody that owns a frequency analyzer?

Hope you didn't mind my editing your photo :)
Very beautiful location you live in.

Kelly

Offline madkiwi

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2018, 10:53:04 AM »
Kelly,

At the moment my base station is probably about 110 feet from the array, upstairs and more in the center of the house. I had originally put it downstairs in the kitchen, but reception was an issue- numerous sheetrock walls and a gas furnace between the two components. So I moved it to the west bedroom upstairs, reception was great but the base unit was on a dresser and the afternoon sun came through our west facing picture windows and caused a temperature spike at about 4pm. So it got moved again, further away and with an extra wall but reception on the display is still excellent- 5 bars mostly, occasionally dropping to 4. Good enough for my purposes.

My brother is an electrical engineer, he's coming to visit so I may ask if he has an analyzer to bring with.

Montana is the best state in the union. Currently we live in Missoula, but the house in Florence is where we're moving to when retirement kicks in. In the meantime I go down there and sit by the river and count my blessings.

“I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love. And it’s difficult to analyze love when you’re in it.”

― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
WS-2902A WU:KMTFLRE23
WS-2813 WU:KMTMISS015

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2018, 11:01:11 AM »
That's great if your brother could provide that information, maybe sketch out a floor plan with his various readings.

This article might be of interest to you:
https://securitytoday.com/articles/2012/04/01/indoor-wireless-path-loss.aspx

Are there any dental floss tycoons in Montana? (RE: F. Zappa ;)

Offline Platokidd

• top side land of Lincoln
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 01:31:23 PM »
(Thanks to Mark for his photo which I've edited only slightly)

How has snow impacted the performance of your WS-2902A? Has the impact only been limited to its rain reports stopping, or have there been other issues that are possibly linked to times during heavy snowfall, or any snowfall? Do you have to clean off the snow every time there's a measurable snow event? How quickly have the wind vane and anemometer thawed out after icing events?

I had about 3 times the snow amount on my 2902a and had issues with it not sending data as well.
Trying to decide if I should send this unit back or if this now, is the norm.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 01:57:51 PM by platokidd »
Ambient
1-WS-5000 1-WS-2902A 2-WS40/RAIN 1-WH31L 
1-METEOBRIDGE 1-PM2.5 (WH41B) 3-WH31 1-SRX100LX

ECOWITT
2-HP2550 2-HP2560 2-GW2000 2-GW1100
2-WS68 1-WS80 1-WH32EP 10-WH31 1-WH40
1-HP10 2-WH45 4-WH55 5-WH51
1-WN30 1-WH41

1-DAVIS 7714
1-STRATUS
1-Fisher Barometer 1436R-22