Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109359 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Re: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi
« Reply #650 on: December 09, 2018, 03:36:23 PM »
How much data can the WiFiLogger hold ?

Same like any other. Console is looking for particular memory. When it find it then is turning on data logger ability and computer connection.
Check here

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #651 on: December 10, 2018, 01:14:53 PM »
Well, I had another drop out in my wind data.  It started at 2:18 am and went to 5:24.

Technically I have no way of knowing for sure if it is the console or logger causing it.  I could have had drop outs before and never noticed it.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #652 on: December 10, 2018, 04:52:01 PM »
Well, I had another drop out in my wind data.  It started at 2:18 am and went to 5:24.

Technically I have no way of knowing for sure if it is the console or logger causing it.  I could have had drop outs before and never noticed it.

I really don't know if WiFi chip can make such problem. I was using WiFi Logger in several stations before releasing it and there were no problem.
When station signal is very weak. WiFi maybe could rise noise in full spectrum, so weak signal can become noise in this situation.
WiFi signal is not generated all the time. So even if WiFi is little jaming station signal, some signals should be received.
However we could find out if you would like to test this situation.
Console has special menu to check radio parameters. You can check it with WiFiLogger then without it.
WiFiLogger has also abiliti to shutdown itself. It is called SLEEP MODE.
But for test it's better to take it out.
Page 39
VP2 Manual

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #653 on: December 10, 2018, 05:17:13 PM »
OK, I looked at the stats.  On my ISS Channel 1, I was getting 98% on the reception rate.  But on the Wind Channel 9, it was 71%. 

So I've pulled the WiFi Logger out and will watch it for a day and see what shows up for reception.

I just checked my main console with the Davis Serial logger and it was showing 97/98 percent reception rates.  And that is in my basement.  You'd think worse reception.  But you never know.  That one is in my mechanical room and has all my network equipment and furnace ducting in the way.

I'll give it a day or so and see what the secondary WiFI console is showing without the logger.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #654 on: December 10, 2018, 05:22:32 PM »
OK, I looked at the stats.  On my ISS Channel 1, I was getting 98% on the reception rate.  But on the Wind Channel 9, it was 71%. 
So I've pulled the WiFi Logger out and will watch it for a day and see what shows up for reception.
I just checked my main console with the Davis Serial logger and it was showing 97/98 percent reception rates.  And that is in my basement.  You'd think worse reception.  But you never know.  That one is in my mechanical room and has all my network equipment and furnace ducting in the way.
I'll give it a day or so and see what the secondary WiFI console is showing without the logger.

Thanks I am really curious about it.
In manual you will find instruction how to go to PAGE2 of this statistic menu (2ND then WIND). It has additional data.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #655 on: December 10, 2018, 05:57:04 PM »
I already rebooted the console, so all the stats are zero'd out again.  But I'll see if I can get that data after a day again.

I'l check the stats tomorrow at about 24 hours.  Then I'll put the logger back in again and do another 24 hours for comparision.

It won't be exactly 24 hours though.  Closer to 25 hours on the without test, until I can get home from work.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 06:02:46 PM by 92merc »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #656 on: December 10, 2018, 09:08:19 PM »

Why is wind on Ch 9?  There's something in the Davis manual about latency the higher you go in channel numbers.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #657 on: December 10, 2018, 10:52:07 PM »
I fat fingered that one.  It's 8.  But i'm running 98% on both ISS channel 1 and wind 8 since resetting this afternoon.  Same console, no logger.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #658 on: December 11, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
Well, after 24 hours, I checked the stats again without the logger installed.  My reception rate on the ISS was still 98%.  But the wind one was even worse!  Only 58%.  So I can report to everyone here, it's not the logger.

My guess is I've been having an issue with the location of the second console, and just didn't know until I had something actually logging it.  Problem is I could move the console to get better reception.  But then the console is in a place in the house where I won't be able to conveniently read it.  I like to read the temp/wind on my way out the door.

So I'm just going to hang onto the logger for now.  I'll just have to flip my current setup over still using the existing serial logger.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #659 on: December 12, 2018, 03:48:53 AM »
Well, after 24 hours, I checked the stats again without the logger installed.  My reception rate on the ISS was still 98%.  But the wind one was even worse!  Only 58%.  So I can report to everyone here, it's not the logger.
My guess is I've been having an issue with the location of the second console, and just didn't know until I had something actually logging it.  Problem is I could move the console to get better reception.  But then the console is in a place in the house where I won't be able to conveniently read it.  I like to read the temp/wind on my way out the door.
So I'm just going to hang onto the logger for now.  I'll just have to flip my current setup over still using the existing serial logger.

Don't forget that Davis has repeater for situation like this.
And Console can also work as a repeater "RETRANSMIT".

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #660 on: December 12, 2018, 09:00:14 AM »
 I will probably give that a try this weekend.  Configure re-transmit on Channel 2 or something.

Offline rockncola

« Reply #661 on: December 13, 2018, 02:13:06 PM »
Is there any way of purchasing this from Australia yet? Dying to try it out. I'm using the Australian version of the Vue with belfryboy's logger currently.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 02:15:31 PM by rockncola »

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #662 on: December 13, 2018, 03:42:58 PM »
Is there any way of purchasing this from Australia yet? Dying to try it out. I'm using the Australian version of the Vue with belfryboy's logger currently.

Please just contact us at sales@weatherstations.co.uk . Once we've got details and checked shipping price then we can send a Paypal invoice.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline rockncola

« Reply #663 on: December 13, 2018, 04:17:21 PM »

Please just contact us at sales@weatherstations.co.uk . Once we've got details and checked shipping price then we can send a Paypal invoice.

Done, thanks.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #664 on: December 13, 2018, 06:52:30 PM »
Well, I switched my main console to re-transmit on channel 2.  Left logger out for a day on second console.  I'm getting 96% reception.  Should be better.  Something must be throwing it off a bit compared to my 98% main logger.  But I guess it'll have to do.

So I now have WD back up and running live to my site again.  I'll give it a week and then I plan on flipping my WD to the serial logger and leave the WiFi logger on Cumulus.  That way I can get my reports I prefer under Cumulus.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #665 on: December 15, 2018, 12:30:09 PM »
Still had a drop out last night.  For SNG, I put my secondary console literally one foot from the main console.  Just to see how it goes.

I really want to see if I can keep Cumulus and WD up and running at the same time.  Luckily, WD has a nice WU import feature.  So when I had that drop out, I just do an import and correct the data.

I just may have to get an Envoy if the secondary console works better downstairs where the main one is.  In for a penny, in for a lot more than a pound.  :-)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #666 on: December 21, 2018, 03:34:25 PM »
I have made new export of JSON file. It is HTTP PUT method which has to be catch by PHP script on server.
My simple test PHP is putting data to file on server which is equal to FTP, but much faster. Other PHP script could put this data to SQL data base.

http://wifilogger.net/station/php/
http://wifilogger.net/station/php/wflexp.json

Offline gbothwell

« Reply #667 on: December 23, 2018, 02:01:04 PM »
Is there a way to add a cert for secure connection via MQTT?

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #668 on: December 23, 2018, 02:33:49 PM »

All connection are open without any security. WL.com, WU, PWS, FTP etc. all are open.
WeatherLink, Cumulus also use plain connection, so I didn't expect that security is expected for weather data.

ESP8266 which is heart of WiFiLogger has libraries to make secure connection. I think for MQTT as well.
I don't know if this solution won't "eat" RAM  to much.
But I can also prepare special firmware which will have secured MQTT or other exports, but I will have to cut off some other functions.

At this moment I think no one is using MQTT feature of WFL  :-(

Offline gbothwell

« Reply #669 on: December 23, 2018, 02:36:16 PM »

All connection are open without any security. WL.com, WU, PWS, FTP etc. all are open.
WeatherLink, Cumulus also use plain connection, so I didn't expect that security is expected for weather data.

ESP8266 which is heart of WiFiLogger has libraries to make secure connection. I think for MQTT as well.
I don't know if this solution won't "eat" RAM  to much.
But I can also prepare special firmware which will have secured MQTT or other exports, but I will have to cut off some other functions.

At this moment I think no one is using MQTT feature of WFL  :-(

I wouldn't spend any time on this at the moment.  I was trying to see how I could use MQTT to publish to a topic on AWS IoT to store my data in DynamoDB...

Offline DRoberts

• Forecaster
« Reply #670 on: December 23, 2018, 04:45:06 PM »
Advice needed WifiLogger setup:

Just got my Christmas present. Have installed WifiLogger in console. Does this screen shot look complete to you? Do I need the NTP time?

Thanks so much

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #671 on: December 23, 2018, 08:06:38 PM »

Just got my Christmas present. Have installed WifiLogger in console. Does this screen shot look complete to you? Do I need the NTP time?

Thanks so much

Yes, but it appears you forgot to enter your time which I believe is populated when you enter--Weather Station Setup. You also need your WiFI settings and where you desire to upload your data to.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline pcfens

« Reply #672 on: December 23, 2018, 09:48:26 PM »
I don't have a weather station yet, but this device may push me over the edge to purchase one of the current gen Davis products. My eventual goal is to integrate the collected data with modern open source platforms like Prometheus.

I've got a few questions around the JSON data and it's various delivery methods:
  • Is there any detailed developer focused documentation on the JSON produced by the WFL at this point?
  • Are the JSON documents produced by the /wflexp.json endpoint, MQTT, FTP, and the HTTP PUT are all the same?
  • Has any consideration been given to cleaning up the data model in JSON to make it more consistent (i.e. make date/time always represented using the same notation, make high/low data a dictionary/hash instead of a positional array, etc.)? If there is, and there's enough memory, I'd suggest switching to a versioned API for the HTTP endpoint (e.g. /v1/wflexp.json, then /v2/wflexp.json, etc.)

Lastly, is there a product page that summarizes the knowledge spread throughout this thread? On that page I'd imagine some FAQs, a full changelog, and maybe a product roadmap (maybe just a GitHub page even if the intent is to keep the source closed)

I see many of the elements I'm looking for as differentiators between a strong product and something neat the community has built, even if it is closed source.

Thanks!

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
« Reply #673 on: December 25, 2018, 05:31:01 AM »
Thanks so much

You have time data missing here. This data comes as EVENT in javascript. Your web browser can have disabled events, or even not used it.
Please try it on different web browser. On my computer Internet Explorer don't use EVENTS, but Chrome and Firefox work fine.

Offline R_o_B

• WxElement panel
« Reply #674 on: December 25, 2018, 06:12:55 AM »
Wojciech, would it be possible for you to make a few 'appearance/cosmetic' modifications to the 'Real Time Data' screen.

Would it be possible to have a 0 (zero) preceding (in front of) the hour number when the hours are between 00 and 09.

Would it be possible to have more spacing between the time and the date display (ie: 3:00:00 12.34.56) - it appears that there might only be one space between the the time and the date display - four to six spaces would create a good distance between the time display and the date display (ie: 03:00:00      12.34.56). You could even use the WiFiLogger 'favicon' as a separator between the time display and the date display.  ;)

Would it be possible to have the date display in other formats than with the decimal point separator, such as also offering the dash as a separator (ie: 01-01-2019). It would also be nice if more date formats were available, such as YYYY-MM-DD (ie: 2018-12-31).

I had a quick look at the HTML display files but could not find the locations nor JavaScript code that would need to be modified.

Thank you for a super reliable and easy to manage wireless data logger...  :-)
R_o_B
---
eMail: weather@herray.net