Poll

What is your favorite weather radio brand?

Midland
15 (55.6%)
Sangean
2 (7.4%)
Acu-Rite
2 (7.4%)
Cobra
0 (0%)
Kaito
0 (0%)
LaCrosse Technology
0 (0%)
Motorola
1 (3.7%)
Oregon Scientific
0 (0%)
Radio Shack
1 (3.7%)
Reecom
6 (22.2%)
Any emergency radio company (Eton, RunningSnail, iRonsnow, etc.)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Favorite Weather Radio Brand  (Read 3088 times)

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
Favorite Weather Radio Brand
« on: November 27, 2017, 07:26:30 PM »
Thanks for participating in this poll!

My personal fav - Midland
(Runner-up - Acu-Rite)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
░▒▓█ have a great day! █▓▒░

Offline jimform2k1

Re: Favorite Weather Radio Brand
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 01:37:41 PM »
Nice poll.

Acu-Rite is not high on my list.  I've had a display go bad and a speaker die (probably because of the auto raising of the volume to max).

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 12:25:38 AM »
Thanks for the kind words. Glad you like it.

As far as Acu-Rite is concerned, I don’t like the auto-maximum volume thing. As we already know, sometimes the computer voices (more so when Tom was the voice) sound creepy during warnings, and having the voices blasting at 90 decibels a few feet from my ear didn’t really help. That thing would wake me up SO fast when a warning would go off, and I would be ticked off if it was for something 50 miles away (I use SAME, but my county, Fresno, is large). I have a Midland as my desktop radio now, and rarely use the AcuRite. In defense of AcuRite, their radio IS lightweight and has decent reception.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2018, 11:14:30 AM by SPCFresno561 »

Offline spc fresno

• Aspiring Meteorologist
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 02:04:45 PM »
Well... after about 2 months of voting (15 votes), Midland is unsurprisingly winning with just over half the votes. Reecom, despite only having made only a few weather radios, takes 2nd (for now) with about a quarter of the votes. Coming in at a very distant third is Acu-Rite, with 13% of the votes (aka 2 votes XD). This may or may not change in the future, depending on how many more votes we get.

Offline PaulKTF

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 11:05:58 AM »
Overall I'm pretty happy with my Reecom 1650-D except the interface isn't all that intuitive and some of the text on the LCD screen is pretty hard to read because it's so small.

I was happy with the Midland WR300 except for the fact that it does not recognize the End Of Message tone at the end of an alert and just stays on for a few minutes after the message is over which is really annoying.
-Paul.