Author Topic: For Sale - Davis Green dot compatible Data Loggers & Raspberry Pi2  (Read 21026 times)

Offline schwab

Re: For Sale - Davis Green dot compatible Data Loggers & Raspberry Pi2
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2017, 10:32:37 AM »
What is the difference in data storage amongst the different Greenn Dot USB dataloggers of:

Davis 6510

Uksa007

BelfryBoy

Are there any other meaningful differences?

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 10:56:46 AM by schwab »

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2017, 10:47:50 AM »
What is the difference in data storage amongst the different Grenn Dot USB dataloggers of:

Davis 6510

Uksa007

BelfryBoy

Are there any other meaningful differences?

Hi,

They all use the same capacity memory chip, so there is no storage difference.
Functionally there is no difference with my logger.

Regards.
Need a green dot compatible Data Logger Board for your Davis VP, VP2, Vue or Weather Envoy?
USB Version uses genuine FTDI USB chip, includes 2m USB Cable $79.99 USD order here
RS232 Version uses genuine MAX3221E chip, includes 1.5m DB9 Cable  $89.99 USD order here
See here for more info.

Offline schwab

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2017, 10:49:07 AM »
What is the actual memory amount?

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2017, 11:00:06 AM »
What is the actual memory amount?

It's a AT45DB011D which is 1 Mbit, with the security registers programmed.

Regards
Need a green dot compatible Data Logger Board for your Davis VP, VP2, Vue or Weather Envoy?
USB Version uses genuine FTDI USB chip, includes 2m USB Cable $79.99 USD order here
RS232 Version uses genuine MAX3221E chip, includes 1.5m DB9 Cable  $89.99 USD order here
See here for more info.

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2017, 03:06:04 AM »
New batch of USB Loggers running out the door, get yours now!

Remember I can supply an RS232 version if you have a specific application that requires it, along with the USB 2.0 version!
See here for more info.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2017, 03:29:16 AM »
Hi, would you consider making one with the alarm output? or is that too much?
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2017, 05:01:05 AM »
Hi, would you consider making one with the alarm output? or is that too much?

Hi,

How many do you require?

There would be a lot of work in developing the circuit, PCB, testing etc.
To date your the only one who requested it, so unless there is huge demand I fear it would be wasted effort.

Regards.

See here for more info.

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2017, 05:21:30 AM »
I understand, thought there would be a lot involved, no worries and thanks for the reply...
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2017, 06:25:39 AM »
Bad news: The memory chips, that allow the green dot compatibility have gone end of life and are not produced anymore. There is a newer replacement chip, unfortunately it doesn't work with the Davis security used in the firmware/console. It was going to happen sooner or later!

I have purchased the last 33 chips, after that I will have to try to use a different package, long term we are pretty much in trouble.

So if you want a logger order asap before the 33 are gone.

I will update this thread with details as I develope the new logger.

Regards.
See here for more info.

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2017, 11:43:12 AM »
Well I just took the plunge as although I my logger works it is a serial one and so have gone for a USB one now as my Weather PC only has USB. My existing logger is a 'Bluewave' one which kinda says how old it is for those in the UK who remember that.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 10, 2017, 10:03:46 PM »
Update: board redesigned, and I have plenty of stock available:

USB Version uses genuine FTDI USB chip, includes 2m USB Cable $59.99 USD order here

RS232 Version uses genuine MAX3221E chip, includes 1.5m DB9 Cable  $59.99 USD order here

Regards
See here for more info.

Offline dport

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2017, 08:29:37 AM »
Update: board redesigned, and I have plenty of stock available:

USB Version uses genuine FTDI USB chip, includes 2m USB Cable $59.99 USD order here

RS232 Version uses genuine MAX3221E chip, includes 1.5m DB9 Cable  $59.99 USD order here

Regards

Hi, thank you for the update.  Considering my first Davis purchase as my old station is about at the end of it's life. I'm looking for a solution to run updates to WU/CWOP without running a computer 24/7. If I am correct, I would need the ISS, the weather envoy, and then your product in lieu of weatherlink?

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2017, 04:03:23 AM »
Hi, thank you for the update.  Considering my first Davis purchase as my old station is about at the end of it's life. I'm looking for a solution to run updates to WU/CWOP without running a computer 24/7. If I am correct, I would need the ISS, the weather envoy, and then your product in lieu of weatherlink?

Yes, but note Weatherlink includes a licence to use Davis software.
You really only need an envoy if the Console is not near a PC, It doesn't seem to replace a PC?

Generally you just use the console with the logger connected to a PC or Raspberry Pi running Cumulus or similar software.
The raspberry Pi is a good solution if you don't want to run a PC.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 04:05:25 AM by Uksa007 »
See here for more info.

Offline Weatherman-Mark

• Mark Hofmann's Weather Station - Bel Air, Maryland
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2018, 06:53:26 PM »
Very interesting in the serial logger.. Is there a way to give it more storage to hold 1 minute intervals for weeks?

Also, I have several Davis consoles - most 1.90 firmware and one 3.80 firmware (green-dot).  Will this logger work in all the consoles?  Just curious.

I already have (2) loggers (both serial - one green-dot and one older 11 year old style) that works with my older 1.90 console.

Looking for serial, flexibility if possible, and adding more storage capacity for holding log information in the event of a power outage.  It would be cool if you could use a USB key for storage.. :)

- Mark

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2018, 10:17:12 PM »
Very interesting in the serial logger.. Is there a way to give it more storage to hold 1 minute intervals for weeks?

Also, I have several Davis consoles - most 1.90 firmware and one 3.80 firmware (green-dot).  Will this logger work in all the consoles?  Just curious.

I already have (2) loggers (both serial - one green-dot and one older 11 year old style) that works with my older 1.90 console.

Looking for serial, flexibility if possible, and adding more storage capacity for holding log information in the event of a power outage.  It would be cool if you could use a USB key for storage.. :)

- Mark

It's not possible to add more memory, it has been tried and the console still only uses 1M which is supplied on the logger.
You can select 1min intervals, the weather doesn't normally change that fast so not all that useful. I set mine to 5 min which is the same as my update rate to wunderground.

My loggers work on both green dot and older non green dot.

Regards.
See here for more info.

Offline floehopper

« Reply #65 on: October 10, 2020, 04:40:24 PM »
Hi,

**I have USB and RS232 loggers in stock Ready to ship**

I have been building and selling the data loggers for a while now and have been asked for a picture of the completed logger.

The boards are compatible with the following consoles both the newer "Green Dot Consoles" (FW V3.xx) and older consoles:

• Davis Vantage Pro
  • Davis Vantage Pro2
  • Davis Vantage VUE
  • Davis Weather Envoy

Hi there. I realise this thread is pretty old now, but I wondered whether by any chance you're still selling these data loggers? If not, do you know of any alternatives?

I'm trying to help a sailing club work out how they can publish data from their Davis Vantage Vue to WeatherUnderground, WOW, etc, ideally as cheaply as possible. I was hoping to find a way to connect the Vantage Vue to a Raspberry Pi running WeeWx.

I'm not sure what version of the Vantage Vue hardware or firmware they have. Are your data loggers compatible with all versions of hardware and firmware...?

Many thanks, James.

Offline Uksa007

• Need a Logger board?
  • Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2020, 04:05:10 AM »
Hi,

Yes I still have them for sale.

Regards.
See here for more info.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #67 on: December 31, 2020, 06:23:08 PM »
Hi,

Yes I still have them for sale.

Regards.

I just had a bricked Envoy repaired and they swapped out my serial logger for a new one. The Envoy runs 3.8 firmware. I can now no longer use it with VVPro. Will your logger plug in and work with VVPro and WD, WL, VWS and other software that can be run from VVPro ?

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2021, 12:40:13 PM »
I just had a bricked Envoy repaired and they swapped out my serial logger for a new one. The Envoy runs 3.8 firmware. I can now no longer use it with VVPro. Will your logger plug in and work with VVPro and WD, WL, VWS and other software that can be run from VVPro ?

The issue with VVP not working is with the firmware of the Envoy, not the logger.  I'm not sure what version of Envoy you'd have to downgrade to, but the regular console has to go back to version 1.90.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2021, 02:17:11 PM »
Everything is working now. I thought VPSE (Virtual Serial Port Emulator) was running on the test computer but it wasn't. I thought Davis tech had upgraded me to a green dot logger but the new serial logger they sent works with VVPro and everything is online. The Envoy's firmware is 3.8 but the logger is a standard serial port adapter. Seems like they listened when I told them I needed to maintain compatibility with VVPro and all my purchased software when I sent my Envoy with the dead barometer to them.