Author Topic: anemometer returns from the land before time.  (Read 513 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
anemometer returns from the land before time.
« on: October 19, 2021, 02:30:59 PM »
I have an Anemometer on top of my 33 foot mast.  It has been there for 20 years and last summer it quit after the derecho came  through .   I sort of tested it and gave up after I couldn't it any information either speed or direction.   So I was bored , went out and hooked it up to the wireless Anemometer transmitter.  Let it just do its thing and see if any life in it.   I am getting some readings and just going to let it go for a bit longer.   Now That unit would have the old reed switches instead of the potentiometer that I believe they do now.  Anyway, thought it was interesting on how for a year, not a signal and now getting some that match my other anemometers.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Re: anemometer returns from the land before time.
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2021, 09:56:57 PM »
Don't know whether true or not but have read that reeds can get magnetized ever so slightly and that can cause them to stick together.  If that where the case it would seem like passing a low level AC voltage through them for a few minutes should demagnetize (degauss) them.  Either that or an old tape head or bulk tape demagnetizer should work.   :-k
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2021, 12:32:20 AM »
Don't know whether true or not but have read that reeds can get magnetized ever so slightly and that can cause them to stick together.  If that where the case it would seem like passing a low level AC voltage through them for a few minutes should demagnetize (degauss) them.  Either that or an old tape head or bulk tape demagnetizer should work.   :-k
   Getting the unit down would be  a chore,  I was younger and stronger back then, now undoing all the guywires and lifting the mast out of the tripod and then back in , I can no longer do. and the securing bolts are rusty.  yeah  not an option unless I can get someone to drive in with a cherry picker .  Maybe it might come back on its own

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2021, 11:36:05 PM »
I still have mine up on the 3 legged TV antenna tower.  But even being able to climb up there, 30' seems a lot higher then it did 20 years ago when I put it up there.  Jeez, just counted up it's been 35 years since I put the antennas up there.  Where'd all that time go?   #-o
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2021, 11:55:02 PM »
I still have mine up on the 3 legged TV antenna tower.  But even being able to climb up there, 30' seems a lot higher then it did 20 years ago when I put it up there.  Jeez, just counted up it's been 35 years since I put the antennas up there.  Where'd all that time go?   #-o
For me I want to know who is that old man who now claims he set the whole thing up in my yard.  the old coot.