Author Topic: Vantage Pro 3 - Wish List  (Read 25330 times)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: Vantage Pro 3 - Wish List
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2009, 11:39:19 AM »
Good recap.
More from me.
Eliminate the graph icon on the console.  Its too small to be of any value and takes space that could be used for data.  Give an option to switch 'temp in' to another, more useful, measurement. 

Another subject; I don't see the value of a weather web site telling me the temperature inside their house.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline WeatherGoose

• Forecaster
  • LIVE from the Southern Sierra Nevada!
    • Sierra Springs Village - MADIS Station D2149 - Bass Lake Ca.
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2009, 11:42:12 AM »
Data Logger Built-in (A Com Port) Not a USB Port or Both Ports.

NDS Weather

AMEN TO THAT!

This $100.00+ price tag for a $15.00 dongle is really pushing the limits of fair trade!  Who would buy a VP2 and NOT want to hook it up to a computer?  The data logger should be included with all VP2s, or built in! :roll:

And when your computer is down, or crashes--you lose all weather data until the computer is back up... the logger is not just a $15 "dongle"--it stores weather data, and if the logging interval is long enough, it will hold data for weeks to months...

I am familiar with what it does since I have one.  ;)

Still... $100 bucks?  I know it comes with software, but for those of us who already know that the software is inadequate, they should sell the data logger by itself and for a more reasonable price.

HARDWARE: Davis VP2 wireless w/daytime FARS - Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 - Apple 24" iMAC - OSX 10.6.2
SOFTWARE: Lightsoft Weather Center for Mac OSX -  EVOcam 2.6.5

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2009, 11:58:44 AM »
Another subject; I don't see the value of a weather web site telling me the temperature inside their house.

It could be useful to the house owner when they're away on holiday.

Offline Ray Proudfoot

• Forecaster
    • Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2009, 12:04:09 PM »

However, the limitation is that a VP2 console can only recognise one ISS channel at a time. So if the 6332 were transmitting on say channel #2 and you were to set channel #2 on the console to ISS data type then all sensors attached to the 6332 would be seen. But of course the original ISS wouldn't then be seen (because only one ISS at a time can be recognised). The only ISS parameter that's an exception to this and that the console is currently programmed to be able to receive on a second channel is wind, which is why I suggested that maybe (?) a firmware update might allow the console also to recognise a wind/solar/UV station type, as well as an ISS.

Ah I see. Thanks John. So I'd have to run the solar sensor cable back to the ISS for it to work. That's not realistic unfortunately.

Quote from: johnd
Re cleaning the solar sensor: I'm sure it's desirable to give it a clean at least occasionally but I know that a lot of users don't seem to bother, without major consequences. I think that as long as it's sited somewhere that's not too dusty or polluting and sees a reasonable amount of rain then it will go for quite some time (ie years) without the readings suffering too significantly.
No problems with too much dust in Cheshire or reasonable amounts of rain! :lol: If Davis can sort out the problem of only one ISS then maintenance shouldn't be a problem.

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2009, 12:24:07 PM »
This $100.00+ price tag for a $15.00 dongle is really pushing the limits of fair trade!  Who would buy a VP2 and NOT want to hook it up to a computer?  The data logger should be included with all VP2s, or built in!

The logger is more than some simple "connector" dongle. Besides the internal SRAM memory, there is a serial port to internal VP2 bus or VP2 JTAG data translator/converter and probably a small microprocessor to control the data archiving.

I suspect that Davis could reduce the cost of the logging functionality by building in the feature on all their console and Envoy mainboards, but that would raise the price of those devices.  Many people simply aren't interested in connecting their console to a computer. Of course anyone purchasing an Envoy WILL connect to a computer, so if they just built those chips into the Envoy mainboard, that would raise the price of an Envoy and greatly increase the price of the separate WL loggers because there would be smaller production runs for just those interested in connecting a computer to the console.

If they had eliminated the serial WL option years ago because of the "obsolescence" of the serial port by USB, quite a few people would have been up the creek with their USB port troubles.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 10:37:14 AM »
Good recap.
More from me.
Eliminate the graph icon on the console.  Its too small to be of any value and takes space that could be used for data.  Give an option to switch 'temp in' to another, more useful, measurement. 

I agree. The resolution of the console LCD isn't good enough to show a good graph. I think filling that space with yesterday, today stats with trend arrows might be good. That would be a shift from pressing keys to get the info.

Ok now for my dream console 2015. You set up the ISS outside. You get your 7 inch color OLED LCD console panel and connect it via USB 3.0 to your PC and start up the Console Configuration Program. You drag and drop (or screen touch and drag in Win 7) the data you want to display on the first screen, and then do the same to screens 2 and 3. You then click on Save and Upload to the consoles' nonvolatile memory. You disconnect the screen and now have your console the way you want it. It will now receive data from the ISS and display it the way you designed in the Configurator Program. You easily switch screens by taping on a spot on the touch screen.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 11:01:39 AM »
I dunno - I like the graph my VP2.  Esp. for bar. pressure.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2009, 04:38:43 PM »
Perhaps an external waterproof battery box to hold the 24 hr FARS batteries and the Li transmitter battery could be added.  You wouldn't have to expose your SIM board to the elements while making an "emergency" battery change and the NiCds would be so much easier to access.

Although the current requirement of a FARS dismantle to change the NiCds does encourage one to clean the FARS at the same time as a battery change.  :roll:
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2009, 05:25:46 PM »
This is a good time to start rebuilding my own version of a wx station using Davis components.  For the third time in a couple of months, I've had to shut down because of a wet SIM board and wet RJ-11 connectors.  
I measured 1.86" rain from 8 AM to 5 PM today.  This afternoon, an alarm sounded due to a high rain rate.  The rain accumulation rapidly increased from 2" to over 3".  This increase in rain data was due to a wet SIM not real rain.
A few weeks ago, I put the SIM board into a replacement Davis enclosure.  I'd sealed the antenna port with RTV, plugged the cable entrance with foam & aluminum foil.  I thought it was water tight.  

I'll use your ideas to build the SIM board into a water tight enclosure with water proof connectors, an external Lithium battery holder; batteries for the FARS; and other suggestions you provide.
Al
edit: with the entire ISS now sitting inside on my workbench with the rain connector unplugged, still transmitting to the console, the rain accumulation continued to increase at a very high rain rate.
The rain leak appears to be around the solar panels on the front panel.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 05:44:15 PM by wxtech »
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2009, 06:50:50 PM »
We only had 1.19" here Al.

I haven't had my VUE for long, just a few weeks, but I honestly don't use the console except to set things up. It generally just sits there and does it's thing so color etc isn't a concern for me.

I think Davis needs (I think someone else might have alluded to this), for lack of a better term, an access point that can collect data from external wireless sensors, and transmit back to the "base" console. I would like to assign sensors to channels and tell the console what type of sensor it is, much like I assign devices to HDMI ports on my surround receiver. If you had multiple temp sensors for example, tell the console which sensor is the main one. I see where most of this would take place in software, not the console itself. To me the console is simply a communications device, let the computer do the fancy stuff.

I like the GPS/clock/compass idea but put the sensor/receiver with one of the outdoor sensors and have it transmit the info back to the console. That way you'll have the exact location of the sensor along with the exact direction it's pointing. Plus, being outside, you don't have the house to block the signal from the time source or GPS satellites.

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2015, 06:01:19 PM »
Built in datalogger for better price-performance ratio

Cheaper radiation sensors

Better self powered by solar radiation, near autonomus

snow depth easy option

better snow gauge for melt it as water equivalent rain

free open imput for developers sensors as snow pillow snow depth etc..

Very important weatherlink for LINUX for run in raspberry and similar low power computing capable of remote access as teamviewer.

affordable Oficial Computing line with remote access and low consuption and all solved software for plug and play

Offline dcriner

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2015, 07:27:27 PM »
Get rid of the wires all together! (at least between console and computer).  Make it WiFi out of the box with the OPTION of running a cable for those who choose not to or cannot use WiFi.
That issue is a biggie for me. The cables are ridiculous. No reason to use Ethernet to connect the console to my WiFi  server. Stupid.

Why even have a stand-alone console? Why isn't my PC enough?

My hunch is that Davis has a decent Wx system, perhaps designed by seasoned amateur weather guys. The delay in coming out with a bird-resistant rain sensor is telling. I cobbled together my own successful modifications quite a while ago.

Doug

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2015, 10:47:56 PM »
I don't think the VP3 should be without a display. They should have a a version without display and with a display.

I agree on that there should be an internal WiFi connection. That would be awesome.

From what I understand Davis has worked on Snow depth for a while but ultimately weren't able to pull it off. If you look at the screen at an angle in the daily rain area there's the impression of "SNOW DEPTH".

But that would have been about 10 years ago. Probably can be done with sonar or laser.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2015, 05:07:32 AM »
Wired comunications between Console-datalogger and computing are because low power consuption design. However now are low power consuption protocols for wifi slow speed but no fully as 802.11

The Davis cosoles are low power consuption for solar powered projects (very Rare % but used)

a bit more (double or more) datalogger capacity are welcomed because for standart 15 min logging less than one month are capable now

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2015, 09:45:07 AM »
The Davis cosoles are low power consuption for solar powered projects (very Rare % but used)

It's more that the consoles can be battery-powered for extended periods and hence portable (or at least not tied to a mains outlet) than for solar power applications. Many users seem to appreciate this portability aspect.

The current console/logger (excluding IP logger) combinations run on a power budget as low as 5mW and this explains why some features of the console are limited, including the absence of WiFi as you correctly say. (And incidentally also explains why WiFi ISS units aren't currently offered, though maybe ZigBee or similar will ultimately turn out to be an option here, albeit requiring a ZigBee adapter at the PC end.) Maybe two designs of console are needed - a low-power version and a full-fat, AC-powered version.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dcriner

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2015, 07:53:28 PM »
Jeez, my smart phone, powered by a small battery, has wifi connectivity. Also, Bluetooth. With the phone's screen being dark, the battery will last a long time.

Why do I need a big, clunky console, which I have no room to place near my server, when my PC or even a cellphone could do it?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 08:14:32 PM by dcriner »
Doug

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2015, 04:17:54 AM »
Jeez, my smart phone, powered by a small battery, has wifi connectivity. Also, Bluetooth. With the phone's screen being dark, the battery will last a long time.

Well the question obviously is just how long it will last with WiFi on and active? I very much doubt that the answer is 6 months (ie the average VP2 battery life). A few days maybe? Even a week or two perhaps, but that's not 6 months.

And then remember that the current VP2 battery design has only perhaps 30% of the battery capacity of some smartphones. And that the ISS (if we're considering WiFi transmissions from there) has a roughly comparable power budget to the present console.

Why do I need a big, clunky console, which I have no room to place near my server, when my PC or even a cellphone could do it?

You don't, by the sounds of it. But remember that most VP2 users do like the console format. Have you considered using MeteoStick?
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline dcriner

« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2015, 10:30:58 PM »
Well the question obviously is just how long it will last with WiFi on and active? I very much doubt that the answer is 6 months (ie the average VP2 battery life). A few days maybe? Even a week or two perhaps, but that's not 6 months.
I can't think why I would need my console's data being saved for six months, or even six days, based on the battery in the console. Much simpler way to save data on the internet.
Doug

Offline Scalphunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2015, 11:12:28 PM »
It jus might be set up where access to the station is limited in access where one can go get the data  every couple of months. Not  everything is on the need to know now bases.  I  have couple stations  that are remote and I down load when I am in that basin just to get the winter time data. Too most it is of no value  but to me it is.  3-6 moth data/battery life is  needed.  For the city slickers and have to have it now crowd it not needed.

John

Offline belfryboy

• Forecaster
  • waiting for the rain.....
    • Belfryboy Blog
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2015, 02:30:52 AM »
I can't think why I would need my console's data being saved for six months, or even six days, based on the battery in the console. Much simpler way to save data on the internet.
But if the battery runs done then you'll get no data at all, and I doubt your smartphone runs for more than a day with the WiFi constantly sending data.

Offline EA1EF

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2015, 05:18:21 AM »
we must be realistic in any proposition to Davis.

Meteo products of Davis Instruments are a good basical design and havent competition in the quality/price performance.

Best orizont will be that anybody show up a alternative and both fight for to get better, because davis are stagnant in his conservative confort.

For example for us are critical the low capacity of datalogger, and havent a second option for more datalogging. Its a easy improvement. Many standart use a 15 min interval and now only 26 days can back up. We need 15 min logging for 100 days or 180 days or more days in isolated locations, its only tree times more, it´s affordable. Davis can offert two datalogging options, standart as now and one pro for special cases.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2015, 09:53:57 AM »
But if the battery runs done then you'll get no data at all, and I doubt your smartphone runs for more than a day with the WiFi constantly sending data.

Non sequitur.  A smartphone has a  hi res colour screen, uberfast local and long distance transport etc.  Sending a text message (about the size of a loop packet, say) takes a couple dozen ma.  BT is micro mah, and only a few of them.  Back in the day cell phones used to run for weeks between charges.  And that was keeping the power hungry parts (almost) on.  It was no until AMOLED screens and Angry Birds (+ other apps) that batt life went south.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2015, 09:37:07 PM »
OK I just thought I must share this with you :D

So since vast majority of you and also users of my template, use Davis Pro 2, I read the manual about 3 times, know the station in detail, have seen pictures of it like thousand times but... but I have never physically saw it or worked with it... until today :D My friend just got a new Pro 2 Plus and asked me to help him with installing it and then loading my template and connecting it via meteobridge.
So at least I now know what you guys have at home :D What disappointed me was the console, it probably looks even more outdated than on the pictures. On the other hand what I liked was the build quality of the ISS. And what surprised me the most was the size of the solar and UV sensor... since I always saw these separately I had no clue about the actual proportion in relation to the ISS. For some reason I assumed it is probably about 10cm big, while in fact it is tiny and attached to the ISS :D And same goes for the logger... he got the USB logger and I thought it is a separate box somewhere near the console, and in fact it is tiny and fits inside it...
Overall I think it probably is a great station, only if the console did not look like some ugly display from the 90s... sensors are however definitely the best I have seen so far on a weather station, if I do not count the professional Vaisala stations we use where I work.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2015, 10:37:58 PM »
Overall I think it probably is a great station, only if the console did not look like some ugly display from the 90s...

Why is appearance so important? 

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2015, 11:37:31 PM »
You really don't need the console as the Envoy can take its place if you are connecting to a computer/device and will use that for checking your own weather data.  Saves some $ but personally would not recommend an Envoy only (I have both console and Envoy) as it is easier to do settings in Weatherlink or other weather programs with the console.

Jachym, aside from appearance, does it look professional quality?

I am sure your friend will enjoy it.

Paul

anything