Author Topic: Davis on a raspberryPi 3 (running issue)  (Read 2955 times)

Offline steeve88

Davis on a raspberryPi 3 (running issue)
« on: January 04, 2017, 06:19:23 PM »
Hi all,

I am trying to install and run weewx on my RPi 3. I use raspbian. I have followed this guide here:
http://www.blueskybust.com/homewx.html

However, I 've stuck in the command:

mysql -u weewx -p

I get: ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'weewx'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

Does anyone have any idea?

Offline gjr80

Re: Davis on a raspberryPi 3 (running issue)
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 06:34:56 PM »
Hi,

I presume you did enter the (correct) MySQL root password from when you setup MySQL? weewx support is normally via the weewx user Google Group, http://groups.google.com/group/weewx-user, you might want to seek some help there.

Gary

Offline steeve88

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 06:42:03 PM »
Yes, I entered the correct pass. Actually I run mysql, and it runs fine. I didn't find anything in google.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 06:48:18 PM by steeve88 »

Offline gjr80

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 06:57:40 PM »
MySQL may well run fine but you are going to need to be able to access it as the root user or some other user with privileged access in order to setup the weewx db. You may be better served installing weewx with the (default) SQLite database and once it is bedded down and running error free move over to MySQL. Experience has shown that new users frequently run into problems trying to go straight to MySQL.

When I mentioned the weewx user Google group I meant post your question there rather than search for an answer. weewx support in normally provided in that forum rather than here.

Gary

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 07:02:32 PM »
Stupid question - Are you running MySQL on the same host as weewx?  The source host name is tied to the user in MySQL, and I've seen this same error happen before with people running database and web software on two different servers.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline steeve88

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 10:52:02 AM »
I am not sure what do you mean. I am gonna try another software anyway as it seems quite  complicated to me. Thank you very much.

Offline wrybread

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 11:21:09 PM »
I just finished setting up weewx. It is indeed complicated but I found it to be fantastic and very flexible once I got the hang of it.

But I don't understand why you're running MySQL commands directly? I sure didn't need to.

Offline danb35

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 08:32:36 AM »
I am gonna try another software anyway as it seems quite complicated to me.

I know this thread is old, and presumably you've made your move to something else.  But at least part of the reason you're finding weewx so complicated is that you're using a random five-year-old guide, written for people with a different hardware/software platform than you're using.  And on top of that, it has an error which is likely causing the part where you're trying to set the MySQL password for the weewx user to not work--which would result in the error you're posting.  Weewx has perfectly good documentation on its own web site, which likely would have gotten you up and running with minimal difficulty.

To be specific, the problem is with this command:
Code: [Select]
CREATE USER 'weewx'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'weewx.;It should read:
Code: [Select]
CREATE USER weewx@localhost IDENTIFIED BY 'weewx';
But, as already said, you almost certainly don't want or need to be using MySQL anyway, for at least two reasons: (1) it further, and unnecessarily, complicates the setup, and (2) it will probably wear out the SD card very quickly, unless you're accessing MySQL on another host (which would be a better configuration, but would even further complicate the setup).

I see this a lot with FreeNAS as well, and it's equally baffling there.  People would apparently prefer to follow some random blog post from three years ago than the actual manual (which, in the case of FreeNAS, is very thorough and up-to-date).