Author Topic: Took the chance on Atlas  (Read 603 times)

Offline jjh92

Took the chance on Atlas
« on: February 27, 2019, 06:31:04 PM »
I received a Christmas gift of a PWS.  After much intense research about which to buy, I liked the features and price point of the Atlas but was greatly concerned about the high dissatisfaction rate on Amazon reviews.  Seemed Acurite did not have good quality control.   It made me strongly consider the Davis VP2.

However, there has been several recent good reviews on Amazon so I thought maybe Acurite cleaned-up their act.  And then there was a great buy on Amazon for the Atlas + Access for $149.  I decided to take a chance and bought it (no console for me, just on-line monitoring)

I am very happy to report the out-of-box setup was flawless  :grin:  It was up and running on My Acurite and WU in no time at all with absolutely no issues.  Only 1 day into it but working perfect. 

I am in MN and we are deep in winter so have a temporary mount on my deck.  Accuracy may suffer but that's okay for the trial phase.  ISS is about 20' from Access.  When spring comes, will move the ISS about 130' away into open land for proper siting.  Will have to see if the RF range can handle it.  It will be direct line of sight with only 1 window in the path.  Will be disappointed if RF problems with this location.

I'll update progress at time passes.

Offline radioman61

Re: Took the chance on Atlas
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 12:39:10 PM »
I don't anticipate you'll have any problems with the RF range.  While it's easy to get at, be sure your rain gauge accuracy is reporting satisfactory.

Offline jjh92

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »
I moved it to its final location, all though still a temporary mount, about 120' away.  I get 4 bars signal strength on MyAcurite.  Seems range is good.

Offline Jim_S

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 05:39:34 PM »
Wow, $149 including the Access was a great deal. Glad it's working well for you.

Be sure to post some pictures when you get it set up permanently. I really enjoy seeing peoples set ups.