Author Topic: Barani pro passive shield  (Read 39682 times)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
Re: Barani pro passive shield
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2018, 02:09:55 PM »
How about this stuff https://www.zoro.com/rust-oleum-spray-paint-black-12-oz-1676830/i/G2459143/

Looks good, I found this too. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002JG8MNU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

UPDATE: They sent Iron guard instead of ECO so refunded order. Still haven't updated image, 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 06:15:28 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #151 on: September 08, 2018, 03:56:14 AM »
hello everyone, I'm mauro from Italy
this is my new test configuration, I hope you like it
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

davis vp2 2018 version
meteoshield pro with sensirion sht20
davis modified version with sensirion sht20
deltaohm hd2013 professional rain gauge with pulse counter
the sensirions were calibrated and aligned in the climatic chamber

in next days I will post my test, if you like

sorry for my bad english
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 04:01:25 AM by mauro63 »

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
  • weather is never boring
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2018, 08:45:45 AM »
Really nice looking set up and will be interested in your findings.

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2018, 03:09:12 AM »
Really nice looking set up and will be interested in your findings.

Thank Jerry, I'm honored you like  ;)
yesterday we had a sky partly cloudly, a moderate wind from NNW with average speed of 1m/s and 4/ms gusts at 2mt height
maximum solar radiation was 780w/mq

this is the result, the graph show only data from 10 am, from today the graph will be complete

As you can see, the pro has very better performance, the vp2 was obviously the worst and the modified davis has a good performances with only 0,3° over the meteoshield pro, the davis is not yet totally ready, I'm studiyng other moods to this project

Mauro

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2018, 05:10:01 AM »
I tested one of the vp2 pro shields a few years ago, even tried to make it better adding more plates. My test notes say +4.5F vs the Davis FARS.

Different story with the Davis 7714 it's almost as good as the Pro if painted black inside on bottom sensor plate and roof. Problem I see with the Davis 7714 is slow response to changes and reason it does so well.
The meteoshield rapid response to change is a nice plus for any passive shield but may play against it when conditions are calm. 

The one thing I didn't do is paint interior on VP2 pro passive black. It did wonders on the Meteo Standard shield. I still can't find any low VOC spray paint however. The black low VOC paint I ordered the other day ECO GUARD isn't available any longer where I ordered.
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2018, 07:43:47 AM »
I tested one of the vp2 pro shields a few years ago, even tried to make it better adding more plates. My test notes say +4.5F vs the Davis FARS.

Different story with the Davis 7714 it's almost as good as the Pro if painted black inside on bottom sensor plate and roof. Problem I see with the Davis 7714 is slow response to changes and reason it does so well.
The meteoshield rapid response to change is a nice plus for any passive shield but may play against it when conditions are calm. 

The one thing I didn't do is paint interior on VP2 pro passive black. It did wonders on the Meteo Standard shield. I still can't find any low VOC spray paint however. The black low VOC paint I ordered the other day ECO GUARD isn't available any longer where I ordered.

my davis is a little more complicated, is assembled using eight plates of the vp2, two upper closed, four open, two lower closed.
above the screen a white aluminum plate above and black underneath, on top of a further aluminum plate and ASA hat, both recovered from a Comet f8110 screen.
below some images in detail
next step I will add an Aerogel plate thru the metal plates and I will change the fixing metal bars with teflon bars
in a second moment I would like to proceed to apply black paint on the bottom of davis plates
please, forgive my mistakes due to my horrible english

Actual situation, sunny, wind 0,8m/s from NW
solar radiation 724w/mq

Davis vp2   26,2 °C
Davis 8 plates  26,1 °C
Meteoshield Pro  25,7 °C

Bye
Mauro

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #156 on: September 09, 2018, 08:23:07 AM »
Try painting plate where sensor is mounted black and plate on bottom black. That should give good results if sensor is sandwiched between 2 black plates. top of sensor plate you can leave white.
Randy

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #157 on: September 09, 2018, 08:36:46 AM »
Hey Randy his English is a lot better than our Italian  :lol:

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2018, 08:42:01 AM »
Try painting plate where sensor is mounted black and plate on bottom black. That should give good results if sensor is sandwiched between 2 black plates. top of sensor plate you can leave white.

OK, surely I will do, and about the bottom plate, I think will not good to paint it entirely, I think it's better to paint only the part inside, like this?

Mauro

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2018, 08:43:36 AM »
Yes and make sure the plate where sensor is mounted too.  Only the side where sensor is at.
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2018, 08:47:18 AM »
Yes and make sure the plate where sensor is mounted too.  Only the side where sensor is at.

Ok Randy,
I understood and many thanks Jerry, I know my English is terrible, but I'm happy to be understandable  ;)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #161 on: September 09, 2018, 12:21:39 PM »

Ok Randy,
I understood and many thanks Jerry, I know my English is terrible, but I'm happy to be understandable  ;)

Believe me your english is much better than my Italian.  :-)
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2018, 03:08:36 AM »

Ok Randy,

Believe me your english is much better than my Italian.  :-)

Thank you Randy  ;)
today I've ordered new two kits of davis plates to prepare a new radiation shield with teflon bar and inside black paint as your instructions

yesterday results

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2018, 08:31:22 AM »
 mauro63 have you tried the Davis 7714. Do the same with black paint. Ryan at Scaled Instruments does ship international.
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7714-passive-radiation-shield/
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2018, 08:50:34 AM »
mauro63 have you tried the Davis 7714. Do the same with black paint. Ryan at Scaled Instruments does ship international.
https://www.scaledinstruments.com/shop/davis-instruments/davis-7714-passive-radiation-shield/

Thank you Randy, 7714 was my first solar radiation shield a long time ago, in the past I've bought about four davis 7714, it was my preferred solar radiation shield for a long time but, one day, I've tried the barani meteoshield and, from that moment I left the 7714 due to very poor perfomances compared to barani meteoshield
the performance of 8 davis plates, the same plates of vp2, are better,at least in my field, than the 7714
now I have two davis 7714 yet, in one of them I have a ds18b20 connected to a cabled datalogger, another one for some tests.
I,ve also tested a Vaisala dtr-503 (good but not as the barani pro), a Cometsystem f8110 (not good, similar performances of 7714), two Rika versions with very poor perfomances
I'm also testing the Barani meteoshield standard, but it's not installed at the moment, I'm waiting a new datalogger with two external probe and 0,2 °C accuracy

about these step, do you have some tests to confirm the black sandwiched system superiority?
in my personal knowledge all the inner plates should be black painted
sorry, probably my questions could be ridiculous, in this case please forgive me

Mauro

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 09:07:10 AM by mauro63 »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #165 on: September 10, 2018, 09:17:04 AM »

about these step, do you have some tests to confirm the black sandwiched system superiority?
sorry, probably my questions could be ridiculous, in this case please forgive me

Mauro

No, if you can paint the inside of louvers it would be better but may be difficult.
I've found the 7714 with sensor plate and bottom plate painted black has very good performance, superior to the VP2 shield. I never tried paint on the VP2 shield however. 
Randy

Offline dendrite

• Forecaster
« Reply #166 on: September 10, 2018, 09:38:08 AM »
Anyone ever try painting the inside of the FARS plates? ;)

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #167 on: September 10, 2018, 11:11:54 AM »
Still haven't found any low VOC spray paint. Seems they got bad reviews according to consumer reports so looks like in 2018 not many if any still around.  Interior/exterior water based house paints may be all that's left, the brush on variety.
Randy

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #168 on: September 10, 2018, 01:53:55 PM »
I believe water-based flat exterior Latex™ paint is all you'll find.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:46:15 PM by Old Tele man »
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #169 on: September 10, 2018, 02:58:52 PM »
This paint is shown at Home Depot to be voc compliant just need to use a primer with it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Color-10-oz-Flat-Black-General-Purpose-Aerosol-Paint-J285

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #170 on: September 10, 2018, 03:06:15 PM »
This paint is shown at Home Depot to be voc compliant just need to use a primer with it. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Quick-Color-10-oz-Flat-Black-General-Purpose-Aerosol-Paint-J285

Click on it Jerry says unavailable. If you show it, you may have it cached in browser.
Randy

Offline mauro63

• Forecaster
« Reply #171 on: September 10, 2018, 03:49:35 PM »

Mauro

No, if you can paint the inside of louvers it would be better but may be difficult.
I've found the 7714 with sensor plate and bottom plate painted black has very good performance, superior to the VP2 shield. I never tried paint on the VP2 shield however.

Last year I carried out some tests of comparison between vp2, meteoshield pro, davis 7714 and davis 5 plates, the same as vp2 but decoupled from the transmitter group
here are some pictures

In those tests highlighted the poor performance of the 5 plates of the vp2 once removed from the transmitter group, the 7714 was placed in half, obviously the meteoshield was the best of all

The 5 plates of the vp2 is instead able to give good performance with its original position under the pluviometer thanks to the shadow created by the cone and the transmitter box, well visible shadow in the following image

this shadow allows the sensor to work avoiding stagnation of hot air in the small screen ensuring acceptable performance in the presence of a minimum of natural ventilation

Mauro

Offline jerryg

• Forecaster
    • victoria texas weather
« Reply #172 on: September 10, 2018, 03:51:37 PM »
-Well there you go again a day late and a dollar short  :lol:

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #173 on: September 10, 2018, 03:57:49 PM »

I checked the other day at the SDS and VOC's looked high anyway.  Here is link if you look at SDS is says odor is solvent like.
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/industrial-brands/industrial-choice/spray-paint/1600-system-multi-purpose-enamel-sprays
Randy

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #174 on: September 10, 2018, 04:10:53 PM »

I checked the other day at the SDS and VOC's looked high anyway.  Here is link if you look at SDS is says odor is solvent like.
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/industrial-brands/industrial-choice/spray-paint/1600-system-multi-purpose-enamel-sprays

IF you have the time, spray and then let "sit" for a couple (or more?) months, before assembling.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

anything