Author Topic: move cumulus data to cumulus mx?  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Dave97

move cumulus data to cumulus mx?
« on: May 14, 2019, 06:39:08 PM »
Been using cumulus for a few years and would like to give MX a try. How do i go about moving data over to MX so it will have all the years of data?

BTW can i also just copy over my settings to MX? I think it is in a .ini file.

Thanks for the help!

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
Re: move cumulus data to cumulus mx?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2019, 07:08:01 PM »
The data files can be used "as is", no changes required.
The settings file requires a couple of minor edits - detailed in the first post of the MX thread on the Cumulus forum. (Date format symbols have changed slightly for the NOAA reports, and a section name in the ini file changes capitalisation - MX is case sensitive, C1 wasn't)

I recommend you install MX in a separate folder, copy the data and ini file over, and edit in-place. That way you can switch back to C1 at any time if you have problems.
Mark

Offline Dave97

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2019, 07:19:46 PM »
The data files can be used "as is", no changes required.
The settings file requires a couple of minor edits - detailed in the first post of the MX thread on the Cumulus forum. (Date format symbols have changed slightly for the NOAA reports, and a section name in the ini file changes capitalisation - MX is case sensitive, C1 wasn't)

I recommend you install MX in a separate folder, copy the data and ini file over, and edit in-place. That way you can switch back to C1 at any time if you have problems.

Is all the data in the actual data folder? Also what about the web folder can that be moved over as well?

Thanks

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 07:48:53 PM »
Yes, just copy the whole data folder over - the new MX install will create an empty folder.
The web folder too if you have customised it.
Mark

Offline Dave97

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 07:50:19 PM »
Yes, just copy the whole data folder over - the new MX install will create an empty folder.
The web folder too if you have customised it.

Everything moved over fine but i don't see any extra sensor data.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2019, 10:45:22 AM »
Assuming you have a Davis station, do you have LogExtraSensors=1 set in the ini file?
Mark

Offline Dave97

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 04:54:31 PM »
Assuming you have a Davis station, do you have LogExtraSensors=1 set in the ini file?

Yes I have a vp2. I will check when I get home. Does MX not install to a PC? It seems more like a portable version.

Btw

Can I use mx and cumulus? Run cumulus all day then shut it down and use mx for a little while? At least until I figure out mx.

Thanks again.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 05:14:27 PM »
Does MX not install to a PC? It seems more like a portable version.
Yes CumulusMX will install on a PC the same as Cumulus 1.  It also can be used on a MAC and Pi.  Not sure why you'd think of it as a portable version, it does nearly all that Cumulus 1 does and a few more current updates as well such as Windy support.  The obvious difference is the Cumulus 1 console versus the CumulusMX dashboard interface, and that MX needs to be run as Administrator and starts in a DOS screen.

Can I use mx and cumulus? Run cumulus all day then shut it down and use mx for a little while? At least until I figure out mx.
Yes you can and each will continue after a restart from where it last ran.  If you don't intermix the /data file then no issue. 

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Dave97

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 06:36:18 PM »
Does MX not install to a PC? It seems more like a portable version.
Yes CumulusMX will install on a PC the same as Cumulus 1.  It also can be used on a MAC and Pi.  Not sure why you'd think of it as a portable version, it does nearly all that Cumulus 1 does and a few more current updates as well such as Windy support.  The obvious difference is the Cumulus 1 console versus the CumulusMX dashboard interface, and that MX needs to be run as Administrator and starts in a DOS screen.

Yes you can and each will continue after a restart from where it last ran.  If you don't intermix the /data file then no issue. 

Enjoy,
Paul

I say portable version because when you start up MX it does not create a folder on C: drive like the original there is only the folder you download even after you execute the CumulusMX.exe. Does everyone just leave the browser windows open to view weather stats? Does it update live or do you need to do a refresh?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 07:49:47 PM »
Sorry, I don't quite understand about creating a folder.
Are you referring to unzipping the program after download?  As far as I have experienced they both do the same, the original installs in a /Cumulus folder and the other in a /CumulusMX folder. 

Just like the original Cumulus 1 which you keep running and console displays or is in the background, you keep CumulusMX running in the background (DOS screen) and if you want to see the dashboard you open the IP address in a browser which you can minimize or close whenever you want.  In both cases the exe program stays running as long as you want, days, weeks, etc. until you want to stop it for whatever reason.  In both cases you can view or minimize as often or whenever you want.  I tend to close the CumulusMX browser every night.

Both original Cumulus 1 console and CumulusMX dashboard update automatically with live data as it is received from the station and data logger..

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Dave97

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2019, 07:59:49 PM »
Sorry, I don't quite understand about creating a folder.
Are you referring to unzipping the program after download?  As far as I have experienced they both do the same, the original installs in a /Cumulus folder and the other in a /CumulusMX folder. 

Just like the original Cumulus 1 which you keep running and console displays or is in the background, you keep CumulusMX running in the background (DOS screen) and if you want to see the dashboard you open the IP address in a browser which you can minimize or close whenever you want.  In both cases the exe program stays running as long as you want, days, weeks, etc. until you want to stop it for whatever reason.  In both cases you can view or minimize as often or whenever you want.  I tend to close the CumulusMX browser every night.

Both original Cumulus 1 console and CumulusMX dashboard update automatically with live data as it is received from the station and data logger..

Enjoy,
Paul

Yes the un-ziped folder and it just runs from there as far as i know it does not add any folders etc to your hard drive. The original cumulus would ask you where you want to install it. C: drive was default.

If that makes sense  :grin:

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 08:15:23 PM »
Ok. For me I tend to download the zip to the folder where I would unzip it, then also move the zip file in the newly created folder.  So both original Cumulus 1 and CumulusMX would install where I expected/want and the source zip file is there as well.  It has been a while since I last installed Cumulus 1 so can't recall what prompts it gives at install.  And like many other new program installs, Cumulus MX prompts the unzip install to where the zip is located UNLESS you change/edit the path before starting the unzip.

Enjoy,
Paul

anything