Author Topic: PWS is all fubar  (Read 1801 times)

Offline liderbug

PWS is all fubar
« on: October 14, 2021, 07:46:35 PM »
Seems wundergournd.IBM.screwup has decided to rewrite the PSW display code for EDGE only.  So, ... when I try to display my PSW I get some icons, a bunch of links, in text, no graphs.  Is it because they hire kids that don't know any better of ones that only know how to code in MS?  First our webcams go and now our PSW.  What's it take to get their attention.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2021, 08:07:49 PM by liderbug »

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
Re: PWS is all fubor
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2021, 08:01:24 PM »
What's it take to get their attention.
The only real recourse, after indicating displeasure, is not to use the service. If enough people move away and they don't get what they need to make money, they will react or go broke.
“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Re: PWS is all fubor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2021, 05:05:42 PM »
What's it take to get their attention.
The only real recourse, after indicating displeasure, is not to use the service. If enough people move away and they don't get what they need to make money, they will react or go broke.

Naw, they'll just sweep it under the rug and forget it ever existed like they do just about everything else.  IBM really doesn't care if WU survives or not.

Offline liderbug

Re: PWS is all fubar
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2021, 06:05:26 PM »
But they paid for it - or was it in competition and they bought it to shut it down?
Oh, and now when I try to "Login" - nada - name, passwd - click, click, click - just sits there
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:11:04 PM by liderbug »

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2021, 08:07:28 PM »
Mine works fine on Firefox, Chrome & Brave on Win 7, 10 and Android, I haven't used or installed/updated a Microsoft browser for more than 10 years. I think I.E.7 was the last one I used.
Why would IBM code their website to only work on a browser that has a 3.4% share of the the market  when Chrome has a 65%  share, makes no sense at all  :???:
LINKY
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Offline liderbug

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2021, 08:57:43 PM »
Fedora 29 & 33
========================
 Current Conditions
33.8 °F
Feels Like 33.8 °
img
WNW
img
WIND & GUST
0.0  / --mph
DEWPOINT
24.3 °F
PRECIP RATE
0.00 in/hr
PRESSURE
30.33 in
HUMIDITY
53 %
PRECIP ACCUM
0.05 in
===================
No or very little html.  Ctrl U says "Edge".  I'm guessing the group that's assign is A) young and B) only works MS only and doesn't want to know anything else.  I've once had a discussion with a CTO at a large telcom.  When asked why we, on the floor doing maint on 700 Red Hat machines couldn't put Linux on "our" desktops.  His reason "His Blackberry calendar wouldn't sync with Linux".  I ah, ah, I just walked away...

Offline Bashy

• brecklandweather.com/meteo
  • Forecaster
  • brecklandweather.com/index.php
    • Breckland Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 12:06:18 AM »
Fedora 29 & 33

No or very little html.  Ctrl U says "Edge".  I'm guessing the group that's assign is A) young and B) only works MS only and doesn't want to know anything else.  I've once had a discussion with a CTO at a large telcom.  When asked why we, on the floor doing maint on 700 Red Hat machines couldn't put Linux on "our" desktops.  His reason "His Blackberry calendar wouldn't sync with Linux".  I ah, ah, I just walked away...

Code: [Select]
  <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge,chrome=1">
IE=edge: specifies that IE should run in the highest mode available to that version of IE as opposed to a compatibility mode; IE8 can support up to IE8 modes, IE9 can support up to IE9 modes, and so on.
chrome=1: specifies that Google Chrome frame should start if the user has it installed
Kind regards
Bashy

Offline liderbug

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 06:01:23 AM »
 Minor diff.  I run Firefox on Lenooks.  I don'do windoz.

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 08:18:59 AM »
Firefox ESR on a RPI (Raspbian OS)

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Everything I've tried it with ( 4 OS's & 5 browsers) works fine, seems to me more likely to be a browser problem at your end than a WU problem
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 03:31:38 PM by jimi »

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 10:23:32 AM »
I am using the latest chromium version of MS Edge (Version 94.0.992.47) and having no problems with WU. I've only had my Ambient WS-2000 published on WU for about 2 months, but so far have had no problems with Weather Underground. Hope I didn't just jinx myself by posting this.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2021, 10:48:10 AM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline liderbug

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 11:03:18 AM »
Again - I'm running Firefox on a Linux box, Fedora fc33.   

Offline sky_watcher

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2021, 11:57:05 AM »
Minor diff.  I run Firefox on Lenooks.  I don'do windoz.
I'm using Firefox with Fedora Linux 33 on Laptop and Fedora 34 on desktop. I can also run Windows 10 with Firefox and Edge with no problems. I think the problem is at your end.
“The more a man knows, the more willing he is to learn. The less a man knows, the more positive he is that he knows everything...” ― Robert G. Ingersoll

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2021, 03:38:18 PM »
Again - I'm running Firefox on a Linux box, Fedora fc33.
Raspbian is basically Debian optimised for the Raspberry Pi, ie a small Linux box

Offline liderbug

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2021, 12:46:36 PM »
Hmmm was my problem.  dnf erase firefox, install firefox and all is right with the world.
I love computers
I love computers
I love computers
I love computers
I love computers
sure I do....

Offline jimi

• Contributor
    • Well Road Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 03:07:01 AM »
 [tup] glad you got it sorted .

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2021, 08:53:06 AM »
True to my word I disconnected my station from WU first thing this morning.  It's an AccuWrong station so I'll live with MBW unless they update firmware so it can connect to another service or I update to either a Davis or Ecowitt.

WU is dead, long live WU!
If it's not a Boerboel it's just a dog.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2021, 10:15:52 AM »
maybe they are just tired of everyone living off their stuff.  Best if you have your own site is to use your own data.  When I had mine going, I just put in a hyperlink to their site and let it be.   

Just don't cut off your nose to spite your face.

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2021, 02:33:24 PM »
The point is that I hope enough other people do the same thing, stop giving WU what they need to have to make money from, that it finally puts WU out of our misery and theirs.  Doing nothing, going along with steadily declining service will never accomplish anything.  Remember that "their stuff" is built on the free data we all supply to them.  Without that, they're nothing.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2021, 02:34:55 PM by awsum140 »

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2021, 02:53:21 PM »
The point is that I hope enough other people do the same thing, stop giving WU what they need to have to make money from, that it finally puts WU out of our misery and theirs.  Doing nothing, going along with steadily declining service will never accomplish anything.  Remember that "their stuff" is built on the free data we all supply to them.  Without that, they're nothing.

And as Mom would say,  " Yeah, they are crying all the way to the bank."  they don't need our free data any more than I only exhale inside to reduce my carbon footprint in the atmosphere. 

Offline awsum140

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2021, 08:46:32 AM »
Well, I dropped all connection with WU on the 21st.  The sun continues to rise and set, no plagues, no pestilence, no Armageddon and I can still see my own, local weather, on my weather station.  Who'd a thunk?

WU is dead, long live WU!

anything