Author Topic: Biggest Mistakes Made by TV Meteorologists  (Read 8227 times)

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
Biggest Mistakes Made by TV Meteorologists
« on: May 01, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »
The past week's worth of severe weather coverage (along with some today in fact) has caused me to notice more and more that television meteorologists need to be very careful about making the following mistakes that can make information reception and delivery very difficult, and at times can even cost someone their life...

False Sense of Security
This can come about in a variety of different ways, and I think I saw just about all of them in the last seven days. If an OCM (to make this easier to type) sees a warning area and then begins to estimate that someone within that warning area is likely OK even though the NWS feel otherwise.

If an OCM looks at a storm and suggests that it does not look that bad (this actually happened Wednesday and moments later a tornado was confirmed on the ground with the OCM reluctantly admitting that he didn't see it on radar.)

If an OCM gives an all clear before the warning has officially expired. This is especially bothersome if the storm has not exited the warned area yet.

Ignoring Storm Reports
One thing that I have noticed that I find to be insane is the ignorance of storm reports. This past week, one OCM got a report from a local fire department of a tornado on the ground. It has been my belief that if a report like that comes in, this information is to be given to the public immediately and let them do with it what they will.

Instead, this OCM stated on the air that he would have to verify that first. He also had a nasty habit of doing similar things with every report. Pretty much if it didn't come from a trained storm spotter he refused to accept it and report it.

Talking Over One Another
When I was growing up, severe weather bulletins were handled by a single OCM. They would put the radar up behind them and tell people what was going on. If a second meteorologist was in the studio, they were simply there to field reports and keep track of things while the OCM was on the air.

Nowadays we see more and more television stations assigning anywhere from two to four meteorologists on duty during severe weather coverage, and it seems that none of them were given the designation as "captain" yet all were given live microphones.

It's hard to get your information when it's coming at you from multiple sources, each of which with their own theory.

Talking Above the Viewers' Heads
When a man goes to the doctor, he asks the doctor to spell out his condition or his diagnosis in layman's terms since it's much easier to digest that way. That is even more important during severe weather announcements, yet more and more I see OCM's using meteorology jargon on the air.

Nine out of ten people have no clue what the Fujita scale really is. They do not know what a supercell thunderstorm is. They hear multi-vortex tornado and wonder if that has something to do with the weather or if it's a new anime premiering on Cartoon Network.

The simplest and bluntest terms are all that are needed in times like these. "We have reports of a very large and potentially violent, life threatening tornado on the ground. Get to your storm house, basement, safe room, and if all else fails your bathroom or hallway. This thing can kill you if you are in its path." That's all that needs to be said for the viewers to get an image in their head of exactly what the OCM is conveying without having to have a degree.

Playing with the Tech Toys
Just a moment ago, I was watching two OCMs, and one of them was adding street data for a thunderstorm on the radar...and the street data covered up the entire map and overlapped to the point that you could not read it.

The other night, the radar was covered up by so many warnings that it got to the point that it wasn't worth even trying to find your location because it was all globs of orange, yellow, and red running together.

Those 3D shots that they have loved for the better part of fifteen years now are pointless to most people watching who sit trying to figure out what that bar graph on the screen means.

Again, less is more. Have a radar map ready, have a warning map ready, do not combine the two when on the air covering severe weather, and don't get cute with sheer markers or velocity indicators or anything like that. People can understand radar, they can understand warning maps, and in the worst of times can even understand "red/green meet = bad." The rest is simply a bunch of big weather geeks showing off their toys to the general public.

When tornadoes and severe thunderstorms are breaking out across an area, it is time to deliver information at a steady pace in repetitive fashion. Simply tell people where the storm is, where it is going, remind them of how to stay safe, keep any updates coming, and repeat this process over and over again throughout the coverage. It may not make for good television, but weather cut ins are not "good TV" they are critical information.

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: Biggest Mistakes Made by TV Meteorologists
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 06:05:49 PM »
I agree with most.  'Too many words'.  Some Meteorologists seem to be paid by their word count.  Slow down, point to what I should be looking at.

BTW, what's an OCM?

I just hate it when they say; "And then the storm/system/rain/snow/etc is out of here and we don't need to worry about it anymore"
Well, when it is out of the Atlanta area, then it's just getting to my area.  They act like no one lives beyond the fringe area of Atlanta, or we who do aren't of any significance.  They don't care that their signal coverage area extends beyond the metro advertising area.

I trust my National Weather Radio All Hazards receiver & not the Internet or TV.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
Sorry bout that, OCM=on camera meteorologist (easier than typing meteorologist or weatherman a dozen times.)

That is one thing I can say about Dave Brown from Memphis' WMC station, he doesn't let anyone in their viewing area down.

The Oxford area is right on the fringe of their viewing area, and I remember distinctly a few years ago a tornado warning was put out and Brown was on the air giving updates. They received a call from an upset viewer noting that it was bright and sunny in Memphis so why were they on the air.

Brown's response "Because our friends in Oxford and the surrounding areas are just as important to everyone else, and we're not going to leave them hanging."

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »
    I agree with most of what you say.  My local station, the one I watch anyhow, does not have those problems as of yet.  Only one Met is on at a time so no talking over each other.  They don't use a lot of fancy gizmos, yet, and what they do use like the icons and vertical slices are well explained (quickly) and easy to understand and from what I hear from talking to people, especially since last years fatal tornado here, they like and do understand it.  I especially like that the OCM's are always repeating (during a tornado warning) that because the radar does not show a rotation icon or TVS, that does not mean there is no danger.  Get in your basement....so that always makes me happy.   
    All in all I am happy with this areas TV Mets but I can see how they can swiftly slide down the slippery slope into the problems mentioned.
    Great post,  thanks!!!!
     Mark

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 07:48:26 PM »
When bad weather does happen I turn off the TV. We only have one station in Ocala and it's not part of the cable package. Go Figure?
We are stuck with stations in Orlando. Way to much fluff and constantly promoting the NEW Doppler, Megatroid, Super Duper, Skyview Radar etc.
For them it seems to be about entertainment.
I'm not a met but I know enough that I don't have to listen to TV stations just trying to get better advertising revenue by spewing their garbage.
This isn't to knock the legitimate OCM's and TV stations out there that do a great job. We just don't have any around here.

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 12:56:35 AM »
Points well taken indeed!  With the storms that came through here last week and caused total devastation not 5 miles from here really didn't look all that impressive on radar,at least not from the BR or Composite views but if you added VIL and velocity it began to look much more impressive. BUT still it produced a tornado that was warned and done so because the storm had a history of tornado's and continued to show velocity indicative of a tornado. I did not see a TVS signature on my GR3 or on any of the Storm Quest radars so that goes without saying..either way there or not take cover to be sure!

I was on the radio with another spotter friend near the area that was devastated and he distinctly heard a loud roaring noise toward the direction of the storm mean movement so that was good enough for me to suspect there was something on the ground and we immediately began receiving calls for help and things got totally swamped and to make matters worse one of the comm sites I needed to access to get back on the air for the fire and rescue folks and not failed over and was dead and the road was blocked by trees and debris so that was a huge problem :)  But in some cases a little power is better than no power :)   Our local Mets that I normally watch done a fairly good job with the whole ordeal but I would have liked to seen them more like Gary England and just be to the point and say if you're not taking cover you may not make it.. That might have gained peoples attention a little better and prevented loss of lives...but we'll never know for sure .

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 02:34:17 AM »
Eye candy/flickering doo-dads/screen clutter.   Serves no purpose.

Kind of like some of the GR3 screenshots I've seen posted with dozens of placefiles.  There's so much crap you can't pick out the storm cells.

Offline IMADreamer

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 06:20:55 PM »
Eye candy/flickering doo-dads/screen clutter.   Serves no purpose.

Kind of like some of the GR3 screenshots I've seen posted with dozens of placefiles.  There's so much crap you can't pick out the storm cells.

I hear that.  Keep it simple stupid applies to weather too.  Especially when you are relaying life saving info.
Hello my name is Jason, I am a Meteorologist, farmer, and auto journalist.
www.infinite-garage.com

Offline kray1000

• Purveyor of wry
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.roanokevalleyweather.com
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »
When the NWS issued a Tornado Watch for our area, one of our affiliates (Fox?) stated that a "Tornado Warning" has been issued for the entire viewing area.  #-o

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 02:49:25 AM »
Maybe that wasn't an error. Maybe with all the tornadoes going on, they just did like the Palm Sunday outbreak of the 60s and said "screw it, put the whole area under one and let's hit the basement ourselves."

Offline scottm

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 09:30:57 AM »
Tom Terry is pretty good Ocala, if you can get channel 9 from Orlando. he moved to Orlando from Oklahoma a few years ago so he's relatively new to the area, but he's the best i've seen thus far.

heres a clip from where he "corrected" the NWS about hurricane charley's direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iehVk_LmUEs

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 11:38:37 AM »
Tom Terry is pretty good Ocala, if you can get channel 9 from Orlando. he moved to Orlando from Oklahoma a few years ago so he's relatively new to the area, but he's the best i've seen thus far.

heres a clip from where he "corrected" the NWS about hurricane charley's direction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iehVk_LmUEs
I guess we have different tastes Scott. I don't like him at all. If you were here for the 04 hurricane season with Francis and Jeanne his behavior on camera was ridiculous. He was yelling at people on the set to get him the latest updates. You don't do that on camera.
The ditzy blond from Channel 6 was actually giving out OLD hurricane updates.
The only guy I had any respect for was Dave Marsh from channel 2 but he retired a while back.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 01:00:07 PM »
Chad Meyers anyone...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFAsyYnTkIw

wonder what happened in previous segment to make him snap during this exchange.

Andrew

his behavior on camera was ridiculous. He was yelling at people on the set to get him the latest updates. You don't do that on camera.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 10:50:36 PM »
Myers was likely exhausted already from covering that hurricane, and he likely had to answer the same questions over and over again since trying to answer a news anchor can be as taxing as trying to explain meteorology to a six year old. Every once in a while you lose your patience, and it's real easy to do when you hear an annoying, whiny voice cutting in on you while you're trying to explain exactly what she is about to ask anyway.

Offline HailHunter

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 10:53:52 PM »

[/quote]
I guess we have different tastes Scott. I don't like him at all. If you were here for the 04 hurricane season with Francis and Jeanne his behavior on camera was ridiculous. He was yelling at people on the set to get him the latest updates. You don't do that on camera.
The ditzy blond from Channel 6 was actually giving out OLD hurricane updates.
The only guy I had any respect for was Dave Marsh from channel 2 but he retired a while back.
[/quote]

I would honestly fire my on camera meteorologist if he was barking orders and yelling at people like that on camera. Heck, I might do it if it was a common thing off camera. YOU are the chief meteorologist. It is YOUR job to have the latest updates and weather reports in your hands. That is YOUR responsibility. By yelling at others to get you the latest updates, that tells me you are not good enough to be the chief meteorologist as it shows that you are trying to shirk responsibility and put someone else at fault because you were not prepared.

My brother is a teacher, and in his office he has a sign that says "It is my responsibility to prepare you, but it is your responsibility to be prepared."

Offline scottm

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2011, 01:45:37 AM »
outside looking in is always a comfortable place to be. easy to give advice from there.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2011, 06:19:24 AM »
I agree, obviously CNN did as well, since he is still there.
Andrew

Myers was likely exhausted already from covering that hurricane, and he likely had to answer the same questions over and over again since trying to answer a news anchor can be as taxing as trying to explain meteorology to a six year old. Every once in a while you lose your patience, and it's real easy to do when you hear an annoying, whiny voice cutting in on you while you're trying to explain exactly what she is about to ask anyway.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2011, 12:59:41 PM »
he likely had to answer the same questions over and over again since trying to answer a news anchor can be as taxing as trying to explain meteorology to a six year old. Every once in a while you lose your patience, and it's real easy to do when you hear an annoying, whiny voice cutting in on you while you're trying to explain exactly what she is about to ask anyway.

I think the anchor's mic should be turned off in such cases.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 12:34:22 AM »
  I frequently watch Tom Skilling on WGN in Chicago.  He is very good I think.  I don't see him everyday but quite often enough.  He is always clear and doesn't talk over the peoples heads.
      Mark

anything