Author Topic: Strange Cloud  (Read 1078 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
Strange Cloud
« on: April 25, 2023, 05:10:56 PM »
Have you guys ever seen a cloud like this. This pic was taken in New Hampshire on April 23.
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
Re: Strange Cloud
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2023, 08:18:01 PM »
No, thankfully. If I did, I think I'd move.  8-[

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2023, 09:02:46 PM »
I just read about it.  There are three or four other pix of the changing scene on a couple of newspapers if you search for asperstus.

It actually is not threatening, but a mixing of an inversion.  I read elsewhere that the cloud was not officially 'recognized' for this until not too long ago.  Which leads one to think about how clouds are officially named and recognized.

I've tried taking pictures of the related gravity wave clouds and it is really hard to get a good contrast and color, so this photographer was pretty lucky to see it, and then to capture it.

I've been fortunate enough to see a Kelvin-Helmholtz formation on Lake MIlacs in Minnesota last year.   DIdn't have a good camera with me but the photos I did get were not at all as impressive and the real phenomenon.

Love clouds.  thanks ocala.
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 12:23:57 PM »
In Arizona we get some clouds that look similar but not quite as dramatic. I could search my cloud folder... We tend to see them in the morning as the Sun has risen to the point of above the horizon but under the cloud layer. This provides intermittent surface warming swells that get caught under the clouds.

Randall