Author Topic: WL.com & Wind Run Data  (Read 1180 times)

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Weather - Photography - Astronomy - Computer Admin
  • Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
WL.com & Wind Run Data
« on: May 07, 2022, 08:12:37 PM »
Greetings, I am currently importing a friend's data obtained from WL.COM into my standard Excel spreadsheet template. My template is based on WL-PC and incudes several tabs that analyzes Wind Run data. I cannot find any wind run data on the data he exported from WL.COM is it true that WL.COM does not calculate the Wind Run data as the WL-PC program does?

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
Re: WL.com & Wind Run Data
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 09:00:12 PM »
Wind Run on WL.com? I don't believe so and not with the Basic tier

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2022, 12:16:14 AM »
Hi Randall,
I started uploading to WL.com with my Envoy/USB logger and Weatherlink PC and this is a Basic free account.
I then started to upload to the same WL.com with an IP-logger (WiFiLogger)
I have downloaded the WL.com data and it includes Wind Run.

I also have a Weatherlink Live which uploads to a separate WL.com and this is a WL.com Pro.
WLL does not calculate Wind Run so not uploaded to this WL.com, and therefor not in a download.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2022, 03:45:50 AM »
It will depend on the type of station/upload device and how the data was downloaded from a wl.com Pro account.

Haven't got time to dig into it in detail, but I'm guessing that archive data packets downloaded via the v1 API (ie the old traditional format before the major revamp of weatherlink.com happened) will still allow software such as WLfW to calculate wind run (don't think it's actually in the archive packet data). But any such software won't necessarily be compatible with the v2 API.

If we're talking about processed data downloaded in eg CSV format then I suspect that the same difference applies, ie the wind run may well be there in data sourced via the v1 API but not in the completely different v2 JSON format.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 05:53:16 AM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2022, 11:12:50 AM »
First, I should have said my friends account includes Pro.

OK PaulMy I will try to do the DL myself and see if I can get it to include Wind Run Data.

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2022, 03:57:43 PM »
You can calculate it: wind_run = wind_speed_avg_24h * 24

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2022, 04:22:48 PM »
So, I have a basic account which stores no data, however my friend has the Pro version and he loaned me the credentials. I logged in to his Pro account and could find no ability to download wind run. I also found no ability to download the archive interval. For spreadsheets I have a rule of not mixing data with formulas that include magic numbers. In this case the Archive interval is the magic number to divide the wind speed by to arrive at the desired wind run value. Yes, the archive interval should rarely change except this spreadsheet is a template so... I inserted a new column for that magic number and manually entered it. In the wind run column I then took data from the average wind speed column and divided by the manually inserted data in archive column. My data is in a Table so the archive interval is automatic propagated until changed. In WL PC both the archive interval and wind run data are automatically produced so hence my confusion on WL.com

Thank you all for your time and consideration in walking me through the issues.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2022, 05:02:05 PM »
Your friend didn't need to give you their credentials, they could have just shared their station to your account, then you get access to the data using your own creds.

Normally each archive record contains the archive interval length in seconds for that block of data. The field is usually called "arch_int". All the VP2 and Vue sensor records include this field. - https://weatherlink.github.io/v2-api/interactive-sensor-catalog
Mark

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2022, 05:22:58 PM »

So, I have a basic account which stores no data,
If you upload to WL.com the data is saved.  With Basic free account the save interval is 15 minutes.  With a Pro subscription account the save interval can be set to 5 minutes in WL.com, or 1 minute with Pro+ subscription.  However the saved data is only visible and downloadable from a Pro account.

I have two WL.com stations, KomokaWeather and KomokaWeather Live, but only one Pro subscription.  I can change the WL.com Pro subscription to either station - first downgrade the device from Pro to Basic.  Then use the available Pro account for the other station so that is then a Pro station.  And can do this as often as I want between the two.  I have learned though, that when I remove the Pro from KomokaWeather Live and then later make it a Pro again, to make sure the interval is set again at 5 minutes, as the default when setting a station is 15 minutes.

For my WL.com KomokaWeather Live station the source is Weatherlink Live which does not provide Wind Run.  Therefore any data download from this KomokaWeather Live station does not contain Wind Run.

For my WL.com KomokaWeather station the data is uploaded by a console/IP logger and Wind Run is included in this.  Therefore any data download from this KomokaWeather station does include Wind Run.

Hope this helps,
Paul

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2022, 07:41:14 PM »

So, I have a basic account which stores no data,
If you upload to WL.com the data is saved.  With Basic free account the save interval is 15 minutes.  With a Pro subscription account the save interval can be set to 5 minutes in WL.com, or 1 minute with Pro+ subscription.  However the saved data is only visible and downloadable from a Pro account.

That should be clarified to exclude WLIP which under a basic account will upload/download 1 minute archive data without restrictions

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2022, 08:31:49 PM »
Thank you all, and to clarify I am able to reproduce the wind run because I know his arc int is 15 minutes. However, exports from WP.com do not include the arc int as a data column nor does it include wind run which is easy enough to calculate anyway (AVG Wind Speed X (60÷Arc Int).

Having said that all the nuances of the PRO model are good to know especially before paying for it. Especially the ability to up and down grade if you own more than one station. Another interesting part of the equation is if I paid for the PRO would my data (since a member of WL.com Basic) on WL.com suddenly become visible - I bet it would. Mark, thank you for pointing out the Pro Share option. I got permission from my friend to go ahead and click the Pro Share for myself while in his account. That option is perfect for what we were trying to achieve.

Finally, the original reason for all of this is to compare the weather of Oregon and Arizona using my Excel spreadsheet template. I knew there would minor differences defined as improvements by WL.com. However, WLPC is pretty old, so change was inevitable. I am surprised the data is perfectly compatible though I wish arc int and wind run was included. I understand why though. My Davis data goes back over 25 years so there is a lot to say about format consistency Davis provides.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2022, 02:25:32 PM by Randall Kayfes »

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 03:20:32 AM »
Ah, so you are using the option to download simple CSV data from the web interface? If you use the v2 API then you will get the archive interval - just select the sensor type and historic record in the link I gave above and it will show you all the fields that you will see in the data.
Mark

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 03:39:57 AM »
Thank you all, and to clarify I am able to reproduce the wind run because I know his arc int is 15 minutes. However, exports from WP.com do not include the arc int as a data column nor does it include wind run which is easy enough to calculate anyway (AVG Wind Speed ÷ Arc Int).

Are you sure that wind_run = AVG Wind Speed / Arc Int ?
If you express the AVG Wind Speed in [mi/h] and Arc Int in [h], wind_run will be expressed in [mi/h^2]

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 02:27:36 PM »
David, you are correct and thank you for catching that.  You can see I edited my post above to accurately indicate the proper formula.

From Davis Help File:
Average Wind Speed = 5 mph

Archive Interval = 30 minutes (0.5 hours)

Wind Run = 5 mph x 0.5 hours = 2.5 miles of wind

Offline Randall Kayfes

• Forecaster
    • Arizona Kaymann
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2022, 07:19:13 PM »
Your friend didn't need to give you their credentials, they could have just shared their station to your account, then you get access to the data using your own creds.

Normally each archive record contains the archive interval length in seconds for that block of data. The field is usually called "arch_int". All the VP2 and Vue sensor records include this field. - https://weatherlink.github.io/v2-api/interactive-sensor-catalog

I forgot to thank Mark for that link to all the different data fields available!

anything