Author Topic: VP2 temp sensor  (Read 794 times)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
VP2 temp sensor
« on: July 13, 2019, 02:28:25 PM »
I have a VP2 that I've bought in 2008.  With all the talk of temp sensors and SHT31's, etc.  I'm thinking my temp sensor may be due for replacement.  I don't think my readings are that far off.  Maybe a degree or 2 at most.  Not sure on humidity.

Problem is, I'm not sure which one I should get.  I know I bought the VP2 in about August of 2008.  But is that the cutoff for the older sensors?  North Dakota is fairly dry and lower humidity, but we have the full range.

I was hoping VP3 would come out.  My plastics have taken a beating over the years.  Already replaced anemometer.  But for now, I probably should just replace the temp sensor.

Thanks...
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: VP2 temp sensor
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 02:31:50 PM »
Chances are that the only one you can get now is SHT31 (Davis have only been supplying this one for some time now, but there may be some older ones still in the supply chain on eg eBay). So just get the SHT31 part and apply the (small) offset.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Online johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 03:35:34 PM »
I take it this is the one then?

Yes, that would be the one. I see Ryan is also showing all the older ones as discontinued and unavailable.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 04:35:08 PM »
Welp, might as well get the door/cover.  The solar panel on mine is about toast.  I don't know how that keeps a charge.  Might as well do the new rain mechanism, well, because.  And throw in a SuperCap, just because if I don't, it's a sure bet mine will crap out soon.

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 04:04:55 PM »
Installed new tipping spoon rain system.  Put new temp sensor in.  Also put my new door.  Here is what 11 years of North Dakota wind/hail/snow/sun will do to a panel.  Old one was pitted.  "Protective" plastic layer was probably blocking a lot of sun.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 05:46:56 PM »
Wow. I replaced mine after 11 years as well, didn't get all dark like yours but it was crumbling like year old stale bread. My top two "bowls" over the radiation shield were in the same condition and were replaced also.

anything