Author Topic: Ecowitt GW1001 and WH57 question  (Read 1035 times)

Offline forna91

Ecowitt GW1001 and WH57 question
« on: January 05, 2023, 03:36:55 AM »
Related to my oldest post https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=44851.0 I'm planning to test the Ecowitt GW1001.

My question is about the blue gateway, can I get the data without storing it in third parties services??

Is a good station? Or is better looking for another equipment? I don't need a good accuracy, is just to know if is raining or if there's wind.

Another funny toy I have seen is the WH57 (lighting detection) is a toy or it have a good accuracy?? How many times battery should be changed?? Can I give him an external power supply to avoid the battery usge??

Thanks everyone!

Offline broadstairs

• Forecaster
Re: Ecowitt GW1001 and WH57 question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2023, 04:17:25 AM »
Yes you can get the data without using any cloud services and no the WH57 cannot be externally powered without local modification. For viewing the data you can use WSview app on your phone when connected to your lan, also an old Android tablet can be used as a display with Personal Weather Tablet app. You can also get data using PC programs like CumulusMX, Weather Display, weewx and probably others.

Stuart
Ecowitt GW1003 with ultrasonic wind gauge, lightning sensor and PM2.5 sensor with Personal Weather Tablet as a console.

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2023, 07:21:25 AM »
I think this weather station is 'super ok' for your intended use ( by the way I have this one with a few additional sensors ).
You can use cloud services and/or local api at the same time ( so you can write local 'safety procedures', which work locally, even if internet is down, while still having remote control, when internet is working ).
Regarding wh57 ( even if based on as3935, a little more than a toy ) I think you can use it as additional security ( storm approaching, based only on numbers of strikes, distance estimates not very useful ). Need also to find a suitable place/setting as it is also sensible to electromagnetic noise.
For raining detection I think you can use the leaf wetness sensor wn35 ( you can find other posts on the subject ). The wh51 is not a good solution for this use.
The light sensor is something like a si1133 ( not sure of the exact model but I think one of those silab sensors, as I took a photo of the ws80 sensor and it resembles quite well a si1133 ), so it should measure up to 128Klux.
For cloud evaluation I think you are on your own, I mean there is no ready/easy solution ( but I'm interested in the subject, could you point me to the cloud modelling algorithm/theory used by mysqm+ )

P.S.
Check this must read post for other useful informations about ecowitt ecosystem
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 07:24:31 AM by davidefa »

Offline forna91

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 07:44:52 AM »
The idea is providing an external power supply, I read somwhere that I need to change battery one time for moth...

Offline forna91

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2023, 08:09:13 AM »
I think this weather station is 'super ok' for your intended use ( by the way I have this one with a few additional sensors ).
You can use cloud services and/or local api at the same time ( so you can write local 'safety procedures', which work locally, even if internet is down, while still having remote control, when internet is working ).
Regarding wh57 ( even if based on as3935, a little more than a toy ) I think you can use it as additional security ( storm approaching, based only on numbers of strikes, distance estimates not very useful ). Need also to find a suitable place/setting as it is also sensible to electromagnetic noise.
For raining detection I think you can use the leaf wetness sensor wn35 ( you can find other posts on the subject ). The wh51 is not a good solution for this use.
The light sensor is something like a si1133 ( not sure of the exact model but I think one of those silab sensors, as I took a photo of the ws80 sensor and it resembles quite well a si1133 ), so it should measure up to 128Klux.
For cloud evaluation I think you are on your own, I mean there is no ready/easy solution ( but I'm interested in the subject, could you point me to the cloud modelling algorithm/theory used by mysqm+ )

P.S.
Check this must read post for other useful informations about ecowitt ecosystem

Yes, the idea will be using mysqm+ for lux and clud coverage, and a wheater station for the rest, I was looking for the lighting sensor just to unplug one device in case, but if there's a lighting, there are clouds and probably olso raining  :eek: for the rain I think I will use the gauge so I can get data olso for the vineyard  :lol: I don't know how to handle the safety procedure, but probably I will close the roof if there'are clouds or rain, I prefer to detect only the rain but I will see.

The sky temperature measuret is "easy", it use a MLX90640.
I never test with colds temperature, but the theor behind is "simple" if ambient temperature is 20°C and the sky temperature is 15°C is totally cloudy, if ambient temperatre is 20°C and sky temperature is below 0°C (probably) the sky is clear, I never had -10C° as ambient temperature so I have no idea about the sky temperature, but this sensor read the infrared so it get the termal cloud reflection, you can adjust some parameters to get the goal

Offline davidefa

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2023, 08:31:33 AM »
Regarding wh57 battery, my sensor is 8 month old and battery shows 'full charged' ( don't remember if battery is lithium or alkaline )