Author Topic: Davis 6313U console spotted in FCC database!  (Read 7871 times)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Davis 6313U console spotted in FCC database!
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2023, 09:04:07 AM »
Would be nice if they updated the Weatherlink app with this functionality.

Pretty unlikely to happen I think. Weatherlink.com is the future for Davis and AFAIK all the development resource is there. Legacy Weatherlink (eg for Windows) belongs in the past is the Davis view I think. Users who want local software are well served by CumulusMX, WD, weewx etc.

That said, it really shouldn't be difficult for someone to write a utility that talks to the 6313 (WLL Console let's call it or WLLC) and emits a traditional Davis binary data stream on a suitable virtual com port or network port and so be compatible with legacy software like WLfW.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2023, 10:18:53 AM »
Here is the new YouTube video from Davis:

https://youtu.be/SdklOya_p-0

It looks pretty cool...  8-)

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline tandy1000

• Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2023, 10:37:28 AM »
Would be nice if they updated the Weatherlink app with this functionality.

Pretty unlikely to happen I think. Weatherlink.com is the future for Davis and AFAIK all the development resource is there. Legacy Weatherlink (eg for Windows) belongs in the past is the Davis view I think. Users who want local software are well served by CumulusMX, WD, weewx etc.

That said, it really shouldn't be difficult for someone to write a utility that talks to the 6313 (WLL Console let's call it or WLLC) and emits a traditional Davis binary data stream on a suitable virtual com port or network port and so be compatible with legacy software like WLfW.

Sorry - I should have been more specific in saying the iPad / iPhone / Android apps could be updated to show the new graphics that the console has. Right now they are locked in portrait view which isn’t ideal.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2023, 11:46:51 AM »
I just pre-ordered mine.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2023, 12:02:34 PM »
Pre-ordered mine.

Offline mcrossley

• Forecaster
    • Wilmslow Astro
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2023, 02:51:30 PM »
Unfortunately, at launch there will be no API access to the new console, you can only download data from wl.com :(

However, Davis are going to be adding features post launch, so we can hope....
Mark

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2023, 03:00:35 PM »
Unfortunately, at launch there will be no API access to the new console, you can only download data from wl.com :(

However, Davis are going to be adding features post launch, so we can hope....

The console will receive from the ISS so that is a start. Basically it just needs WiFi for updates and TOD but it is not necessary. I will still keep my WiFiLogger in one of my Envoys to upload to WL and WU and feed VWS until Davis adds on that feature. It doesn't look like it will be a Envoy/Console/DataLogger replacement. My Envoy with serial is feeding all my weather software fine at this time so no need to disrupt that.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 03:05:06 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2023, 04:40:33 PM »
Not a big deal, but I like the greater resolution on the humidity, dew point, pressure, and wind speed.  8-)

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2023, 04:42:53 PM »
Wonder about power consumption on batteries. Different type? Obviously, much has changed over the years.
They quote: "Less than one day when fully charged"
Wow. Little less than the 8-9 months now... Obviously not meant to be remoted, I guess.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2023, 04:44:10 PM »
I like it. It will definitely compliment my setup.

Being able to choose what you can have on the dashboard is nice. Hopefully, that will include the airlink sensor data too?!

It's £499 in the UK.

We always get stitched up on pricing.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2023, 09:54:34 PM by Mapantz »

Offline vinceskahan

• Senior Contributor
    • home site
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2023, 11:17:14 PM »
Not understanding this one at all especially at that price point.   At least double what a reasonable logger+display should be.

And requiring WiFi (2.4 GHz only???) and connectivity to Davis servers (ugh) is a no-go too for me.
WeeWX sites:
  Davis VP2+DFARS to a pi4
  EcoWitt GW1000, WH32 outdoor T+H, multiple WH31 indoor T+H, WH51 soilMoisture (docker)
  Davis AirLink (inside)
  PurpleAir (outside)
Home site:        https://www.skahan.net/
Wunderground: KWAFEDER15
PWS:                KWFEDER15
CWOP:              CW6881

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2023, 12:19:39 AM »
Not understanding this one at all especially at that price point.   At least double what a reasonable logger+display should be.

And requiring WiFi (2.4 GHz only???) and connectivity to Davis servers (ugh) is a no-go too for me.

Have to agree, I'm glad they upgraded but for me not worth the asking price. About twice what I think it's worth.  Now if I didn't have a website and wasn't already set up with a working data logger etc. and didn't use Cumulus 1.9.4 maybe this would be something I would be interested in. Do keep in contact with several others most are thinking the same the price tag is way steep for what you get.
You know back in the day I had no problem with the Davis Console but had a workaround called a website + Cumulus. So just not worth double what it should be. These units are being manufactured at maybe $50 each in China and asking $400 retail is just too much IMO.
Randy

Offline Garth Bock

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2023, 07:40:26 AM »

WiFi is not required. At the least all WiFi provides is updated TOD and firmware updates. You can leave WiFi off. Also you don't have to connect to WL or the cloud. This can just be an overpriced color display receiving from your ISS.

Offline raul_sbd

• Raul Weather
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2023, 10:29:53 AM »

Have to agree, I'm glad they upgraded but for me not worth the asking price. About twice what I think it's worth.  Now if I didn't have a website and wasn't already set up with a working data logger etc. and didn't use Cumulus 1.9.4 maybe this would be something I would be interested in. Do keep in contact with several others most are thinking the same the price tag is way steep for what you get.
You know back in the day I had no problem with the Davis Console but had a workaround called a website + Cumulus. So just not worth double what it should be. These units are being manufactured at maybe $50 each in China and asking $400 retail is just too much IMO.

I cannot agree any more on your post.. I have also set up a data logger and using Cumulus Mx..
It looks really good the new colour console but not at £400.. that’s half the price of a new weather station. I only though that could be a substitute of the current old style console and could use as been doing up to now the Cumulus mx software to upload data onto my website but doesn’t seem it will have that capability yet.

If in a future reaches the £200 mark and it has the capability to work as it does the current console interacting with the 3rd party software then I will go ahead and purchase.

I think many on here have the same thought’s :)

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2023, 10:34:50 AM »

I cannot agree any more on your post.. I have also set up a data logger and using Cumulus Mx..
It looks really good the new colour console but not at £400.. that’s half the price of a new weather station. I only though that could be a substitute of the current old style console and could use as been doing up to now the Cumulus mx software to upload data onto my website but doesn’t seem it will have that capability yet.

If in a future reaches the £200 mark and it has the capability to work as it does the current console interacting with the 3rd party software then I will go ahead and purchase.

I think many on here have the same thought’s :)

It's £500

Normally, the numbers in prices are the same, it's just the currency conversion that would be different. The fact that they are charging £500 here is even more of an insult. That's about $580

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2023, 11:27:08 AM »

The list price is obviously higher than what most of us would like to see.  Hopefully resellers sell it at a discount like usual.

Bad news on this front. Davis has informed that resellers will not have availability for at least 60-90 days. The only way to purchase for now will be full price from the Davis site until they decide otherwise.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2023, 11:59:15 AM »
@Ryan,
Would this be offered, eventually, by Davis as a full station i.e. ISS and 6313U?

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2023, 02:58:16 PM »
Is £499 the confirmed UK price? :shock: Shouldn't be surprised but come on Davis, what the heck!! suppose IF they bundle this it will add £200 to the package price also. I was living in hope that this and the sensor array would be around £150-200 less than buying the current bundle plus weather link live. Not sure what to think at this point, pleased they have finally released this, see what the package prices come out at I guess =D>
Ecowitt WS90 ׀ GW2000 ׀ WH51 ׀ WH32EP ׀ WH40

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2023, 03:01:46 PM »
@Ryan,
Would this be offered, eventually, by Davis as a full station i.e. ISS and 6313U?

Enjoy,
Paul

Surely it has to be, doesn't it, or will it be a cash grab :sad: really hope not. If this replaces current console as a full station I suspect it will add maybe 150-200 to the price, be nice if it was less but have to be realistic. Guess they could still offer a bundle with the old console but seems almost pointless when most will want to upload.

Wish the UK price was lower on these, will still probably bite if they offer a package deal. Either that or I need to work out a way of importing the VP2 pro plus bundle and this console on the UK frequency :grin:

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2023, 07:26:36 PM »
Is £499 the confirmed UK price?

Remember that in practice there is no overall official UK RRP (even though Amazon struggle with this concept) - official importers set their own prices. Prices will settle across different dealers once regular shipments start to be received. We have some on order I believe, but no confirmed shipping date yet - maybe there will be an indication in a week's time or so, but no promises.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2023, 06:35:33 PM »
Prices will settle... at ridiculously inflated ones.

The more I delve in to this, the more of a joke it becomes.

To see £499 being flagged up is disgusting.

The members across the pond are seething at the $395 price. Yet Davis are trying to rob UK citizens of a further $175.

Mind bending!

Offline Ra1nman

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2023, 07:34:35 PM »
This is the single reason I have held off buying a Davis unit so far, sadly, import duty plus VAT equals £499. I couldn't say what margins are being made but they certainly won't be selling at a loss in the UK :-|

I dread to think what the package price will be but I suspect £200 more than current. You could pickup a VP2 Pro Plus with bells on in the US for the same price as a standard VP2 Pro in the UK, don't get me started :shock:

If any distributors in the US would ship to the UK, it could even be worth buying the RF unit as a spare part in the UK and switching it, so as to get the 868Mhz frequency. I suspect this probably isn't possible, savings could be marginal even if it was.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2023, 07:37:13 PM by Ra1nman »