Author Topic: Windows 10 and 11  (Read 3551 times)

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
Re: Windows 10 and 11
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2022, 04:10:35 PM »
Why did you buy a Win11 key ? Or did you just want to plug a website?

SEO spambot, registered today and posted two minutes later.  The link was removed by an admin, but the user wasn't banned as far as I can tell.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2022, 04:41:18 PM »
Okay. I started checking on why I had a Windows 7 looking control/settings panel on my Win11 install. Turns out the supposed link from a Rufus utility page was a redirect to a non-Microsoft iso. I loaded it again and it looks like an iso was created from a Win7 to Win10 to Win11 upgrade or something like that. I downloaded a fresh M$ iso of Win11 and used Rufus to create an install pendrive that bypasses the TPM check and other non-supported hardware. I did a fresh install and now have a real Win11. There is no item to roll back to Win7 like a Win7 upgrade to Win10 gives you. At the university we learned early on to do fresh installs and not upgrades.

Outside of the funky centered start menu or whatever they are calling it I am not seeing anything that would make a standard (non-gamer) want to fresh install it...unless they are an Apple user. One thing that bugged me was the flippant statement from Microsoft that everyone is going to want to buy a new computer to get the Win11 experience. This came about during a bad economy and covid. Not great timing on their part. At the university we tested all new versions of Windows and the "every other version" seems to hold true. We didn't deploy WinMe, Win 8/8.1, and Vista as well as several versions of Win Server and SQL server because every other version had improvements that made sense and were not disruptive to our departments. We took over support of one department because their IT staff believed every version of Windows was great. Vista did them in. The disruption they caused their users by the upgrades became an issue and their department VP asked us to take over.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 05:29:38 PM by Garth Bock »

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2022, 04:43:45 PM »
Looks like yours is from an upgrade. Mine is from a fresh install of Win10 Pro. The Win11 control panel that I got from a fresh install of Win11 looks like your Win7 version. I had a fresh download of an ISO from MS.

That's the windows settings menu.

Yours is an upgrade from Win7 to Win10. The Win7 restore feature is not present in a fresh install. Also the pic I posted IS the control panel/settings menu that replaced what you are showing.

Offline Mapantz

• Forecaster
    • Wareham Weather
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2022, 04:45:22 PM »

Yours is an upgrade from Win7 to Win10. The Win7 restore feature is not present in a fresh install. Also the pic I posted IS the control panel/settings menu that replaced what you are showing.

No.

I never had Windows 7 on this NVME drive. That was a screenshot from tenforum. The Windows 11 screenshot was mine.

The image you posted, isn't the control panel. That is the settings menu.

https://betanews.com/2017/04/11/how-to-unlock-microsofts-secret-settings-menu-in-windows-10-redstone-3-build-16170/
« Last Edit: December 30, 2022, 04:47:15 PM by Mapantz »

anything