Author Topic: Trouble with wxforum.net emails to *@embarqmail.com addresses...  (Read 15198 times)

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
Trouble with wxforum.net emails to *@embarqmail.com addresses...
« on: September 20, 2013, 04:30:18 PM »
For some odd reason (likely another website using the same mail handler that this site uses), the folks at Synacor have blacklisted our emails, so we get the return bounce messages with text like:

SMTP error from remote server in greeting:
host smtp.embarq.synacor.com[208.47.184.2]:
421 4.7.0 [C2] Too much spam.
retry timeout exceeded

we are working to resolve this, but meanwhile, if your wxforum.net email uses a embarqmail.com (or an address that uses the Synacor spam prevention service), you won't see any emails from wxforum.net.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  If your mail address is currently affected, then consider changing your profile to a new mail handler service if you want to receive emails from wxforum.net.

For folks trying to register with the forum, please DO NOT use an email address at embarqmail.com to register -- you will never receive the email validation message, so you will not have your account activated.  To prevent issues with embarqmail.com registrations, I've put a temporary ban in action to prevent new registrations from using *@embarqmail.com addresses with a message to use a different mail address instead.

:-(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 04:42:04 PM by saratogaWX »
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
Re: Trouble with wxforum.net emails to *@embarqmail.com addresses...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 09:10:24 AM »
As one with a *@embarqmail.com, what email messages would I miss. Don't ever remember getting one. What have I been missing?

George

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 11:37:24 AM »
Hi George,

For existing members of the forum it just means that notification messages about new posts in threads and new PMs will not arrive at your mailbox -- other than that, no effect on your use of the forum.

The problem is with new registrations -- the embargo by Synacor prevents new registrants from receiving the email address validation message, so they can not complete registration to activate their logon with wxforum.net.  The new ban prevents this from happening, and all new registrants need to do is pick an email address that does not use embarqmail.com

Best regards,
Ken
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 11:23:09 AM »
Hey Ken,
How are you coming with this. Perhaps it does not affect me with the forum but yesterday my son tried to send me some information from Newegg.com and it never made it. I'm sure it's the same situation. I called CenturyLink this AM and they wanted to fix MY computer. I finally just hung up. You can't report a problem on their end. They never have one!!
George

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 03:13:40 PM »
Hi George,

I sent off a message to abuse at embarqmail.com outlining the issue with wxforum.net -> embarqmail.com mail -- I haven't heard back from them.

Odd that CenturyLink support pages for contact require you to be a customer (or register as one) in order to send a query to support.  I used the old-fashioned convention of abuse@... email to get to the abuse dept. for resolution.

I'll let you know when (if?) they get back to me on the issue.  Meanwhile, you could set up a outlook.com/gmail.com/yahoo.com mailbox and change your profile to use that instead of your embarqmail.com address for email.

Best regards,
Ken