Author Topic: Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information  (Read 100485 times)

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
Re: Davis Weather Station Repair/Refurb Information
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2016, 11:58:44 PM »
Congtats Naviguesser!

It's always exciting to get a new system.  Now that you have I expect to hear news about the imminent release of the VP3.  :-P  I do remember now that there was a little warning before the VP2 came out, because someone on one of these forums was apparently monitoring patents that Davis applied for.

I don't know what people do with their old stations.  I still see VP1 consoles and things being sold on ebay, so there must still be a few stations around, or people are buying them not realizing they won't work with the VP2.  (Actually at least on many I looked at the seller tried to make a point of warning people.)

There may be people who don't care that much about humidity but would be interested in the other variables that you could give it to.  You can even give it to a neighbor and shouldn't have to worry about interference with your VP2.  Or save it for a spare if something happens to your new one, especially the anemometer as it should still work with the new one.  Or use it as an extra temp station to check the temp in your shed or garage or whatever.  (You can also use it to monitor the rainfall in your shed, garage, or attic.  :-))

Also, if you soaked your temp/hum sensor, you may want to check it again after a few days.  It seems I remember someone saying they hosed down their ISS, and it took a few days for the humidity to act normal again.  But may not be much hope if it's acting the same as it was before.

Anyway again, congrats.  :grin:

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2016, 12:46:52 PM »
...Now that you have I expect to hear news about the imminent release of the VP3...

It's not really a repair/refurb issue, but I'll be really quite surprised to see anything called VP3 appearing in the near future. For a major new product, the first announcement is likely to be in a new year's catalogue and of course the 2016 one has already been published. So the earliest announcement might be Jan 2017, with availability potentially sometime later that year. But I suspect that we would have heard rumours by now within the dealer community and personally FWIW I've heard absolutely nothing. So on that basis Jan 2018 might be the earliest launch date.

Actually I'm not even sure that there will be a VP3. My guess - and it's absolutely only a guess - is that the VP2 ISS will continue to evolve. If anything new appears then it might be an updated console type, but very possibly still within the VP2 family. Maybe longer term there'll be a new weather station family using a different wireless protocol and perhaps with a new name.

Of course I'm just speculating here and I could be proved totally wrong. But the grapevine is offering no clues whatsoever of any other major announcement that's imminent.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline polykick

« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2016, 01:23:06 PM »
I've got a Davis Vantage Pro2 with the fan aspirated temperature sensor. It is about 7-8 years old and seems to be in need of some refurb work. It is having the same problem I have read about from others, where all of a sudden new batteries won't support the remote sensors. They die after just a week or so. Once the sun comes up and hits the solar panels, they work fine, but after dark they quit again. Is this a capacitor problem?

I called Davis about the refurb and he said yes, send it in and they will call for a credit card when they are ready to work on it. I asked for an estimate and he said $212 for the fan aspirated model. Does this sound about right to everyone?

Thanks!

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2016, 01:38:15 PM »
My two cents worth are to get a new ISS. You can buy one (the 24 hour FARS) from Ryan at Scaled Instruments for $398 plus shipping. You get all new equipment, a level indicator, the new SHT31 temp-humidity sensor, bird spikes on the rain collector, etc., etc. Your console is fine as is and will work with the new ISS. I got a new ISS a few weeks ago and was surprised at some of the enhancements (tweaks) Davis has made since I bought mine 11 years ago. I doubt Davis will include these tweaks if you have them refurbish your unit. In addition, if you have an issue with your new ISS or it needs routine maintenance (cleaning, etc.), you can start using your old ISS until you can clean or whatever you are doing with the new one--your posts to CWOP or WU continues!  :grin:
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 01:57:46 PM by WheatonRon »
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2016, 01:55:26 PM »
... They die after just a week or so. Once the sun comes up and hits the solar panels, they work fine, but after dark they quit again. Is this a capacitor problem?

That's the symptom of the supercap problem, yes.

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2016, 02:06:43 PM »

That's the symptom of the supercap problem, yes.
Sounds right to me.  It also should be a much cheaper fix than $200 some to $400 some dollars, more like maybe $10.  Plus you should be able to just unsolder or cut out the super cap, clean up the board if necessary, and the station should work fine for months off of the battery until you can get a new cap.  (I'm basing my experience on an original VP without FARS, but I think it should still hold for the VP2.)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2016, 02:15:30 PM »
Due to the changes in Davis refurb pricing, I have added the following update to my first post in this thread. Hopefully, folks will see it so they can make a more informed decision BEFORE they send their units in for refurb.

EDIT: May 6, 2016 - The pricing shown in this first post is no longer valid. Contact Davis for a quote BEFORE you send it in. You may find that ordering a replacement ISS (assuming your console is still good) may be a better deal or will allow you to have a "spare" ISS to use while your other unit is being refurbed. See comments about this in later posts in this thread.

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline polykick

« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2016, 04:50:37 PM »
Due to the changes in Davis refurb pricing, I have added the following update to my first post in this thread. Hopefully, folks will see it so they can make a more informed decision BEFORE they send their units in for refurb.

EDIT: May 6, 2016 - The pricing shown in this first post is no longer valid. Contact Davis for a quote BEFORE you send it in. You may find that ordering a replacement ISS (assuming your console is still good) may be a better deal or will allow you to have a "spare" ISS to use while your other unit is being refurbed. See comments about this in later posts in this thread.

Yes thank you. I read though other posts and figured after 2 years the prices might be different. Someone else said they paid $200 for the FARS refurb. I will weigh the costs, and think about buying a new ISS.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2016, 05:49:37 PM »

Yes thank you. I read though other posts and figured after 2 years the prices might be different. Someone else said they paid $200 for the FARS refurb. I will weigh the costs, and think about buying a new ISS.

Once you make your decision and should you decide to have your station refurbed, please post the cost to do it and explain what they did to it. You might want to include the shipping times and charges too so you have a complete report for folks who may want to know the overall costs.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Mtn_man

• Sunset Mountain Weather
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2016, 07:20:33 PM »

Once you make your decision and should you decide to have your station refurbed, please post the cost to do it and explain what they did to it. You might want to include the shipping times and charges too so you have a complete report for folks who may want to know the overall costs.
Plus you pay shipping costs, AND you will have a 2 - 3 week hole in your weather data while you are without your ISS, at least if you are not close to their CA location. 

If I have an ISS issue again, I will seriously consider this option.  Sadly my last issue that required Davis referb was with the console.

Offline jackman

• Senior Contributor
    • Echo Pines WX Station
« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2016, 07:26:10 PM »
As an FYI I just paid $91 including shipping for the replacement Vantage Vue electronics. I posted more info about it here: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=29663.0

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #86 on: August 03, 2016, 08:30:32 AM »
In 2010, after I'd been using my VP2 for 3 years, it sustained a lightning strike.  I found out about Davis' refurb program and sent my station to them.  For $100 they completely refurb'd the ISS, calibrated my instruments, and even sent me a new anemometer.  I remember thinking it was an unbelievable deal.

Before I saw this thread, I sent them a FB message this week to ask about sending my unit to them for refurb again since it's been 6 years and it probably could use it.  They responded that they do still offer the service, but the price has gone up to $150 now, or $200 for fan aspirated units.   :shock:

So now I'm trying to decide whether I should pay $200 to get my old VP2 refurb'd ..  OR..  pay $280ish for a totally new Vue system.  What are the pros and cons?
B.S. in Meteorology/Climatology

38.01977N, 84.83486W
Davis Vantage Pro 2 wireless station
AcuRite 5-n-1 w/ WiFi reporting to WU

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2016, 08:35:57 AM »
Get a new one unless Davis will give you the new temp sensor, SHT31, when doing the refurb. Besides, a new one gets a one year warranty.
Davis VP2 with SHT31 (3 complete VP2 systems—2 with a daytime fan and 1 that has a 24 hour fan); CWOP--CW5020, FW3075 and FW4350; WU--KILWHEAT17, KILWHEAT36 and KILWHEAT39; WeatherCloud.net; CoCoRaHS--IL-DP-132; and Weatherlink 2.0

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2016, 09:25:13 AM »
"but the price has gone up to $150 now, or $200 for fan aspirated units.

So now I'm trying to decide whether I should pay $200 to get my old VP2 refurb'd ..  OR..  pay $280ish for a totally new Vue system.  What are the pros and cons?"

Well, you're asking to trade a top of the line unit for an entry level and only spend $80 more. Your $200 price indicates you have a fan aspirated VP2 and the Vue does not have that. If your VP2 is at least partially poorly sited (Vue requirement), you don't think fan aspiration is necessary and you just want that "new" feeling, then by all means grab the Vue.

JMO

George

As an afterthought, the first time I sent my VP2 in, it was "reconditioned" from head to toe. The second time the only things tweeked were what I noted as needing attention. If you decide to return for attention, be sure to list everything you want looked at. ALSO, if you are running an old style (non green-dot) console, they will "upgrade" it which will cause some programs to no longer work (VVP specifically, among others).

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #89 on: August 03, 2016, 10:03:35 AM »
ALSO, if you are running an old style (non green-dot) console, they will "upgrade" it which will cause some programs to no longer work (VVP specifically, among others).

Run that past me again. It's the logger, not the console that was, for a while, described as green-dot. There was a new console version that requires a green-dot logger for compatibility, but I doubt that the refurb involves swapping out the console PCBA and also providing a new green-dot logger, does it? Console firmware may be updated to the latest compatible version, but does that affect VVP compatibility?

I thought that the only pertinent issue was if you try to use software that uses LOOP2 (which VVP doesn't support). But maybe I'm missing something?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #90 on: August 03, 2016, 12:50:38 PM »

So now I'm trying to decide whether I should pay $200 to get my old VP2 refurb'd ..  OR..  pay $280ish for a totally new Vue system.  What are the pros and cons?"

Well, you're asking to trade a top of the line unit for an entry level and only spend $80 more. Your $200 price indicates you have a fan aspirated VP2 and the Vue does not have that. If your VP2 is at least partially poorly sited (Vue requirement), you don't think fan aspiration is necessary and you just want that "new" feeling, then by all means grab the Vue.

JMO

George

As an afterthought, the first time I sent my VP2 in, it was "reconditioned" from head to toe. The second time the only things tweeked were what I noted as needing attention. If you decide to return for attention, be sure to list everything you want looked at. ALSO, if you are running an old style (non green-dot) console, they will "upgrade" it which will cause some programs to no longer work (VVP specifically, among others).

Yes, the fan aspiration definitely helps on hot summer days.  But other than that, the Vue specs out exactly the same as the VP2 in terms of accuracy variance of the instruments.  So I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the real difference is that makes the VP2 twice the cost.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #91 on: August 03, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
"Console firmware may be updated to the latest compatible version, but does that affect VVP compatibility?"  Johnd, That is exactly what I understand. I say this from memory of posts of people who sent their VP2s in for refurbishing. I have been wrong before and will be again, but I don't think I am this time.

WXman, with the VP2, you can add remote temperature sensors, add uv sensor, add solar sensor, separate the ISS and the anemometer, and add Day or 24hour FARS. I don't think you can do any of these with a Vue.

FWIW

George

Offline SnowHiker

• Forecaster
« Reply #92 on: August 03, 2016, 02:32:25 PM »
Before I saw this thread, I sent them a FB message this week to ask about sending my unit to them for refurb again since it's been 6 years and it probably could use it. 
The only problem is it's been six years since it was refurbished, and you haven't noticed any other problems with it? 

If you're not noticing any problems with it that you can't resolve yourself, why would you want to spend $200 or replace it with a Vue?

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #93 on: August 03, 2016, 03:56:36 PM »
"Console firmware may be updated to the latest compatible version, but does that affect VVP compatibility?"  Johnd, That is exactly what I understand. I say this from memory of posts of people who sent their VP2s in for refurbishing. I have been wrong before and will be again, but I don't think I am this time.

The only scenario I'm aware of where this could conceivably be an issue is if:

1. You're using software that tests whether the LOOP2 record is supported and if an affirmative reply is received then tries to use it. Does VWS do this? But I'm not aware of any other software that does, so it could be a VWS-specific issue and hence not of any consequence for most Davis users.
2. Pre-refurb then the console F/W did not support LOOP2, but post refurb some updated F/W does do so.

Not saying that this is necessarily accurate, but it would be useful to try and pin down for sure.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #94 on: August 03, 2016, 05:21:10 PM »

JMO

George

Yes, the fan aspiration definitely helps on hot summer days.  But other than that, the Vue specs out exactly the same as the VP2 in terms of accuracy variance of the instruments.  So I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the real difference is that makes the VP2 twice the cost.
The fan helps all days not just "hot" ones. Also the Vue is not spec'd the same as a new VP2, which has the SHT31, the Vue does not.

Offline WXman

• Stormdawg
  • Senior Contributor
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2016, 07:17:36 AM »
Yeah, see that's what they did for me first time I sent mine in also.  They reconditioned it front to back.  It was like a new unit when I got it back.  So you're saying that now they will only touch what needs conditioning?  It sounds like they are doing less and charging more.

I guess a lot of people found out about the program and it became popular and like most good kept secrets, it came to an end once it wasn't a secret anymore (so to speak).

Well, I just figured that after six years my station could use some freshening up.  I do have a list of concerns with it that I could probably fix myself, but I figured they'd do a better job going through the unit.  And the refurb program is cheaper than buying a new station.  So I was considering it.  But I don't know...maybe I'll think about it some more.

38.01977N, 84.83486W

Offline WheatonRon

• Forecaster
    • WUnderground
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2016, 08:20:50 AM »
Yeah, see that's what they did for me first time I sent mine in also.  They reconditioned it front to back.  It was like a new unit when I got it back.  So you're saying that now they will only touch what needs conditioning?  It sounds like they are doing less and charging more.

I guess a lot of people found out about the program and it became popular and like most good kept secrets, it came to an end once it wasn't a secret anymore (so to speak).

Well, I just figured that after six years my station could use some freshening up.  I do have a list of concerns with it that I could probably fix myself, but I figured they'd do a better job going through the unit.  And the refurb program is cheaper than buying a new station.  So I was considering it.  But I don't know...maybe I'll think about it some more.

I considered using this Davis program but opted to get a new ISS from Scaled Instruments. Everything is new, including a temp sensor (SHT31). No regrets.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2016, 09:09:33 AM »
johnd,

My most important piece of weather software is "Virtual VP" which I run 24/7 on 2 computers so I can run all my other weather software together on those computers. I also know that with the "green-dot" upgrade of the consoles, VVP no longer works. I also know that consoles returned to Davis for overhaul, are returned in a condition that no longer supports VVP. I have therefore accumulated 3 Davis VP2s, 1 with 24hr FARS and 2 with DFARS. I have 4 VP2 consoles and 6 old style data loggers (2 still shrink-wrapped). I will continue to run these until I can no longer maintain them with parts from Scaled Instruments and then until no single VP2 is viable. After that, I'll probably no longer be concerned with the weather.

Again, I have been wrong before and will be again, but I don't think I am this time.

George

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2016, 09:47:49 AM »
@George: I understand that in your particular scenario you're having a problem with VVP, but that's an incomplete picture.

VVP doesn't exist in isolation - the client software you're using is obviously a key part pf the configuration. So the question is: which weather program(s) are you using? If it's VWS then that may well be the problem. If you were using some other programs (ie and not VWS) then there might be no problem - this is the point that I'm trying to get to. In other words, is it a VWS-specific issue or do any other programs (when used in the absence of VWS) cause a similar problem?
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2016, 10:02:04 AM »
johnd,

I have no problem with VVP, nor with VPLive, Image Salsa, VWS, L2K, Cumulus, WeatherLink, or on the other computer, VVP, VPLive, VWS, WeatherLink, GRLevel3, and Cumulus. Remember, I am reporting multiple stations to multiple locations. Everything is working fine for me, it's just that others have had problems that I don't think have been fixed, because they can't run VVP, and I don't want that to happen to me.

George

anything